PDA

View Full Version : Updating MIB 3 System - Mk 8 Golf

rosgolf
06-10-2021, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know if we will be getting software updates for MIB III Discover Pro screens in Australia? Our Golf MK8 R-Line is on 1803 and I think Europe is slowly releasing 1810. I contacted VW Australia and they gave me a link on how to update the map, they were a bit confused by my request and then said that Australia wouldn't be getting updates at this time. I know Australia will never offer OTA updates, but hopefully the dealerships can fix the very buggy interface soon.

rosgolf
06-10-2021, 04:20 PM
Oh also, has anyone worked out to add radio logos like you could in the Mk7.5 Golf Discover Pro? Thank you!

Cyberman
06-10-2021, 05:10 PM
I don't think there's a way to add the radio logos. It seems to need to do it from a logo embedded in the radio signal (which I don't think Aussie AM/FM radio stations have).
I can't say I've experienced a buggy interface, and my R-Line is also on 1803. On the other hand, I think VW Australia ought to release a video showing how to use the interface. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos, so I think I know a fair bit about using the screen well, using the shortcut keys around the hazard switch, plus creating my own shortcuts. In the first couple of weeks I was confused why the screen did things I didn't expect, but most of that was solved by trying and practising how and where to use using the swipe gesture.
I plan to take the car in for an oil and filter change when I reach 5,000km as someone at VW told me they put different oil in the car for running-in. At the same time I may as well ask them to do the software update. My hardware number is H56; Display unit hardware H41; Display unit software 3074; Navigation database 20.3; Media codec 3.1.4.

Hillbilly
07-10-2021, 08:25 AM
I don't think there's a way to add the radio logos. It seems to need to do it from a logo embedded in the radio signal (which I don't think Aussie AM/FM radio stations have).
I can't say I've experienced a buggy interface, and my R-Line is also on 1803. On the other hand, I think VW Australia ought to release a video showing how to use the interface. I've watched quite a few YouTube videos, so I think I know a fair bit about using the screen well, using the shortcut keys around the hazard switch, plus creating my own shortcuts. In the first couple of weeks I was confused why the screen did things I didn't expect, but most of that was solved by trying and practising how and where to use using the swipe gesture.
I plan to take the car in for an oil and filter change when I reach 5,000km as someone at VW told me they put different oil in the car for running-in. At the same time I may as well ask them to do the software update. My hardware number is H56; Display unit hardware H41; Display unit software 3074; Navigation database 20.3; Media codec 3.1.4.

There is no known way to have radio logos apart from Euro cars with OTA and dealers will only update firmware if unit has a problem. So far havent heard of any who can do that

They DONT use running in oil as engines are prerun in at the factory. The 1500km check is Open the bonnet,hmm no leaks, look underneath, ditto. Wheel it out. The current map update is 21.2 and can be updated by going to the VW portal ,d/load the update applicable and unzip it to a USB C stick and poke it in the car. Nothing will seem to happen but after about 20 mins if you reboot the MMI it should show 21.2

Also the software and map versions vary across the world and what we have here maybe the latest for the ROW models which we have

Lucas_R
07-10-2021, 09:21 AM
I plan to take the car in for an oil and filter change when I reach 5,000km as someone at VW told me they put different oil in the car for running-in.

Absolutely nothing wrong with doing an oil change early for a brand new engine, but VW nor any other mainstream car manufacturer use any kind of special running-in oil, so whoever told you that is misinformed. VW normally talk you out of doing an early oil change, so either do it yourself or take it elsewhere if you want it done (assuming VW arent willing to do it).

Dedicated running-in oils are only designed to be in a running engine for a matter of hours (no more than 400-500km of driving) so there is no way any mainstream car manufacturers would use it. The engines are assembled, filled with whatever normal oil VW use (usually Castrol), given a quick run on the rolling road at the factory to ensure all is ok and then sent on their way.

Cyberman
07-10-2021, 03:38 PM
The current map update is 21.2 and can be updated by going to the VW portal
Thanks for the tip. Where is the portal, please? Is it erWin (erwin.volkswagen.de (https://erwin.volkswagen.de))?

Hillbilly
07-10-2021, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the tip. Where is the portal, please? Is it erWin (erwin.volkswagen.de (https://erwin.volkswagen.de))?

Volkswagen Map Updates (https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/car/#/)

Same s**t different way of getting there Volkswagen Map Updates (https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/car/#/)

Personally I get mine off the Skoda portal as they have them earlier than VW

rosgolf
09-10-2021, 09:50 AM
I've found the maps in the Active Info Display to be very jerky and dropping frames. This never happened in the Mk7.5.

Apparently the MY22 will have DAB, which is a bit annoying.

rosgolf
09-10-2021, 09:50 AM
Re: updating maps. I was expecting a progress bar. I thought it wasn't working but I left the USB in for a day and it just did it in the background.

Flipper Dog
09-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Re: updating maps. I was expecting a progress bar. I thought it wasn't working but I left the USB in for a day and it just did it in the background.

Same thing in my T-Roc with MIB3. Placed in the USB stick expecting it to load showing progress, nothing. Left it in for a few days and it done its thing in the background.
Would be nice to have Volkswagen document in more detail on what to do, or better still if VW Australia produce a quick youtube video of how to do it.

Thankfully in Australia we have the option of doing updates ourselves. The guys in UK/Europe have to rely on over the air updates which have not worked too well for some.

Cyberman
09-10-2021, 01:04 PM
1) Did you only have the "AUS_6PR053_CT3WS-201H0_Offline_Update" folder on the USB stick?
2) Did you have to do anything on the screen to start the process?
3) I always have a USB stick in a USB port from which I run all my music. I wonder if I have to take that out, rather than just leaving it in and adding the map update stick in the other USB port?

Hillbilly
09-10-2021, 01:13 PM
I did say in regard to the maps that it takes about 20mins and YOU WILL NOT SEE ANYTHING HAPPEN.. According to my dealer it isnt possible to do it so SFA asking them. Follow what I said It works as some have found out.

Hillbilly
09-10-2021, 01:22 PM
1 No You UNZIP that folder to your USB drive and it comes out as 28 folders and a list file
2 No
3 No

I posted in reply 4 how to do it

Cyberman
10-10-2021, 08:15 AM
Thanks Hillbilly.

I found out why it isn't working for me, through some instructions I found on the USA VW service website. In my case it was partly due to the wrong formatting of the USB stick and partly due to other files on the USB stick (which my Mac put there). The document says:

• Insert the USB-C Stick into the USB-C port of your computer. If your computer does not have a USB-C port, this can be connected to the computer using a suitable adapter.
• Delete all files on the USB-C Stick or reformat your USB-C Stick. There should not be any other files on the USB-C Stick.
• The USB-C stick must be formatted in the "exFAT" or “NTFS” format so that it can be recognized by the Discover Media.

In addition, the (Mac) OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

Installing the map material
1. Insert the USB-C stick into the USB-C port of your vehicle.
2. Switch on the ignition.
3. Now select the "MENU" button on the Discover Media. In the “Setup” menu you will find the“System information”, check the installed navigation database version.
4. Keep ignition ON for at least 30-40 minutes after USB-C stick with navigation database is inserted in the USB-C port of the vehicle. The engine must be on during map update process.
5. Your car will automatically start downloading the map update in the background and no interaction or consent is required in HMI to initialize map update process.
6. Switch off your engine then re-start your vehicle after 5-10 minutes to check the installed map database version. Please make sure that there is no active route in navigation system before turning the engine off.

NOTE:
The ignition must be left on while the data is being copied. Please ensure that the battery voltage is high enough to carry out the update (when the vehicle is stationary, switch off all electrical equipment that is not required, e.g. lighting, blowers, seat heating etc.). Connect a charger to the vehicle’s battery, if necessary. If the process is interrupted – for example, by parking the vehicle – the copying process automatically continues at the point at which it was interrupted as soon as the ignition is switched on.

Hillbilly
10-10-2021, 09:25 AM
Thanks Hillbilly.

I found out why it isn't working for me, through some instructions I found on the USA VW service website. In my case it was partly due to the wrong formatting of the USB stick and partly due to other files on the USB stick (which my Mac put there). The document says:

• Insert the USB-C Stick into the USB-C port of your computer. If your computer does not have a USB-C port, this can be connected to the computer using a suitable adapter.
• Delete all files on the USB-C Stick or reformat your USB-C Stick. There should not be any other files on the USB-C Stick.
• The USB-C stick must be formatted in the "exFAT" or “NTFS” format so that it can be recognized by the Discover Media.

In addition, the (Mac) OS-X operating system has a tendency to create hidden additional files on external data media. We therefore recommend that OS X users use the “Keka” unzipping program. We also recommend using the “CleanMyDrive” program to remove any hidden files.

Installing the map material
1. Insert the USB-C stick into the USB-C port of your vehicle.
2. Switch on the ignition.
3. Now select the "MENU" button on the Discover Media. In the “Setup” menu you will find the“System information”, check the installed navigation database version.
4. Keep ignition ON for at least 30-40 minutes after USB-C stick with navigation database is inserted in the USB-C port of the vehicle. The engine must be on during map update process.
5. Your car will automatically start downloading the map update in the background and no interaction or consent is required in HMI to initialize map update process.
6. Switch off your engine then re-start your vehicle after 5-10 minutes to check the installed map database version. Please make sure that there is no active route in navigation system before turning the engine off.

NOTE:
The ignition must be left on while the data is being copied. Please ensure that the battery voltage is high enough to carry out the update (when the vehicle is stationary, switch off all electrical equipment that is not required, e.g. lighting, blowers, seat heating etc.). Connect a charger to the vehicle’s battery, if necessary. If the process is interrupted – for example, by parking the vehicle – the copying process automatically continues at the point at which it was interrupted as soon as the ignition is switched on.

The ONLY problem you have is that you have a devils spawn Apple product. I have updated our Kamiq with a stick that had other stuff on it and done POI on a MIB2 the same. The stick I used is formatted in FAT32 and it worked first time.
Have also done bigger capacity cards in ExFat and they work ok
The rest is a rather long winded version of what I said and is incorrect in that it takes about 20 mins for the map update to load.
Macs and VW have been fairly incompatible for years and if you use one it pays to say so as most use a real PC LOL, that doesnt do stupid things that are built into Apple products.
My music is on a USB C stick formatted in FAT 32 and has 1200 tracks on it that play perfectly
You can only load a maximum of 1000 tracks into a MIB2.5 at one time but i found if I put more on a new stick it will then load the rest
The only real difference in the last 11 years is it wasnt a good idea to interrupt a RNS510 when updating, the MIB 2 can be just turned off and will recommence but gives a progress bar, the MIB3 we get is a crippled version of the Euro one as it doesnt get over the air updates which presumably would have an progress bar. NONE of them liked maps unzipped in a MAC

Hillbilly
21-12-2022, 07:57 AM
As an update to the above users should remember that other areas of the world have larger maps and so will of course take longer to load.
With the varying specs of models in other countries it pays to stick to what we have here in AUS , this being an AUS forum. Interestingly on the VW portal there is no map for USA for a Mib3 IE the (T Cross)I use for my map

MY23_R_Wagon
11-01-2024, 01:27 PM
Does anyone know what the latest official MIB3 firmware update for Australia is?
I took delivery of an R Wagon in December 2023, with build date of June 2023.

I have firmware version 1900. I find that I cannot deactivate the electric seat from moving backwards when exiting the car - crushing my rear seat occupant.

I have read that 1941 restored this functionality in Europe.
Does anyone know if 1941 is available for VW dealerships? I'm not willing to try firmware updates myself.

Thank you

Hillbilly
14-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know what the latest official MIB3 firmware update for Australia is?

I have firmware version 1900. I find that I cannot deactivate the electric seat from moving backwards when exiting the car - crushing my rear seat occupant.

Does anyone know if 1941 is available for VW dealerships? I'm not willing to try firmware updates myself.

Thank you You dont need a firmware update if it does it. My Kamiq doesnt have it as it hasnt got memory seats but in my Tiguan it could be turned on or off as needed by using an OBD11 As as Im concerned being over 6ft 2 with long legs, its the best thing since sliced bread and doesnt go back far enough to upset rear passengers. Ask on the Tech forum for someone in your area to do it for you Takes all of about 30 secs and will never work again

MY23_R_Wagon
15-01-2024, 08:42 AM
Ok. I will try following up with VW Australia regarding firmware updates. Not sure I can be bothered buying an OBDEleven to "fix" something that VW should fix themselves.
I will just make sure my tallest son is sitting behind me when I turn off the vehicle, as he gets squashed.

As per here Convenience Seating Function | Page 2 | GOLFMK8 - VW GTI MK8 Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MK8 Forum / VW e-Golf Forum (https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/index.php?threads/convenience-seating-function.387237/page-2) it seems v1941 and above restores this function to have operating radio buttons to turn feature on/off.

Hillbilly
15-01-2024, 02:10 PM
Ok. I will try following up with VW Australia regarding firmware updates. Not sure I can be bothered buying an OBDEleven to "fix" something that VW should fix themselves.
I will just make sure my tallest son is sitting behind me when I turn off the vehicle, as he gets squashed.

As per here Convenience Seating Function | Page 2 | GOLFMK8 - VW GTI MK8 Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MK8 Forum / VW e-Golf Forum (https://www.golfmk8.com/forums/index.php?threads/convenience-seating-function.387237/page-2) it seems v1941 and above restores this function to have operating radio buttons to turn feature on/off.

Weird as I could do that on an MIB2.5 in my Tiguan

cmilenko
25-01-2024, 01:54 PM

Thank you

It's Software Update:1941. Just chased it up with my dealer today and it sorted out the seat issue etc. I also saw the list of other 'items, that it was meant to fix, some that I have experienced on my car, and others not seen on my vehicle. (MY23 R Hatch)

MY23_R_Wagon
28-01-2024, 06:31 AM
It's Software Update:1941. Just chased it up with my dealer today and it sorted out the seat issue etc. I also saw the list of other 'items, that it was meant to fix, some that I have experienced on my car, and others not seen on my vehicle. (MY23 R Hatch)

Thanks. I was unable to confirm this with any dealerships as they said they needed to scan my car to determine what version it needed. I can’t be bothered taking car in just to pay for a scan to determine whether there was new software available or it.
I guess software update will have to wait until my first service. Good to know 1941 is available here.

cmilenko
28-01-2024, 01:18 PM
Yes it is true that the dealership can't determine what is the correct version for a particular car until they scan it.
A few points to note. I asked a few direct questions of my dealership, who I consider from my experience to be one of the better ones...
- do you check for the latest up to date software version when you pre-deliver a car (mine over 6 months from build to delivery) - NO
- do you check for the latest up to date software version when you carry out a 15K, 30K etc, service - NO
I was told they will only search for an update when a customer flags a problem, which in my opinion is wrong and shows poor customer service. You have a seat problem.....and not at any stage did I think that the dealership would not sort it out under a minor warranty item, even though they had no idea what 1941 would fix (I did tell them though:)). Good luck!

Hillbilly
28-01-2024, 02:19 PM
Yes it is true that the dealership can't determine what is the correct version for a particular car until they scan it.
A few points to note. I asked a few direct questions of my dealership, who I consider from my experience to be one of the better ones...
- do you check for the latest up to date software version when you pre-deliver a car (mine over 6 months from build to delivery) - NO
- do you check for the latest up to date software version when you carry out a 15K, 30K etc, service - NO
I was told they will only search for an update when a customer flags a problem, which in my opinion is wrong and shows poor customer service. You have a seat problem.....and not at any stage did I think that the dealership would not sort it out under a minor warranty item, even though they had no idea what 1941 would fix (I did tell them though:)). Good luck! Yes your answers from questions to the dealer are correct. They will only update IF there is a problem with the unit. Why would they waste time fixing something that isnt broke. Also sometimes latest isnt always best.

However if there is a problem they may not even have the software available. I have done over 30 things to my Tiguan and the dealer had to ask how they were done. Even managed one on a Passat that the dealer said was impossible. Some of the guys further down the food chain at the dealers sometimes know but arent allowed to tell you.

Also only have to go to the information screen to find the software version you have. Dont have to scan anything.

Steve28
29-01-2024, 04:23 PM
Hi to all learned people here.
Is the infotainment software region specific? Just want to check if I can use a file from overseas to update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GolfieAU
01-03-2024, 11:42 AM
I did update on my 2023 Life with overseas 1941 version. No issue at all.

Steve28
01-03-2024, 11:46 AM
I did update on my 2023 Life with overseas 1941 version. No issue at all.

Thanks Golfie.

I’d expect to be the same for Cupra software as well considering they are the same unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk