PDA

View Full Version : Crack in plastic sunroof surround

rjt86
10-07-2021, 12:48 PM
Anyone else experienced this? The dealer mentioned they have seen this on a few Passat B8’s

I will be confirming with the dealer tomorrow how involved this fix will be, my old 2009 Passat CC did this on the plastic VW used on the boot lid, bit disappointing to see it on the Arteon also.

messy_smith
10-07-2021, 02:37 PM
I just recently purchased a 2019 model and while I was looking mid last year I viewed a 2017 model with the same issue. The seller had an agreement from vw to replace under warranty, however part had to come from Overseas. I had seen the service paper that stated it would be replaced under warranty.

The seller mentioned that vw knew of a fault where screws on that part were over tightened on the 2017 model and the flex of the car can cause that part to crack. The car I viewed the crack was in the same place.

rjt86
10-07-2021, 02:44 PM
I just recently purchased a 2019 model and while I was looking mid last year I viewed a 2017 model with the same issue. The seller had an agreement from vw to replace under warranty, however part had to come from Overseas. I had seen the service paper that stated it would be replaced under warranty.

The seller mentioned that vw knew of a fault where screws on that part were over tightened on the 2017 model and the flex of the car can cause that part to crack. The car I viewed the crack was in the same place.

Thanks for that insight, there doesn’t appear to be many reported cases online.

Mines a early 2018, seems that some of them are affected also.

The dealer’s had a quick look at it but will be starting the warranty process tomrorow, so I’ll post updates on how all of that goes.

rjt86
07-08-2021, 10:02 PM
All done under warranty, the dealership took it to a VW body shop who had it for a few days and did a great job.

messy_smith
14-01-2022, 01:53 PM
Hi Rjt86. seems my MY19 suffered the same failure. cracked formed same place as yours, dealer said VW will cover under warranty. unfortunately they wont replace the paint protect film that is on that section as they view this as a modification, bit crumby but glad it was a no fuss exercise.

rjt86
16-01-2022, 10:37 PM
Hi Rjt86. seems my MY19 suffered the same failure. cracked formed same place as yours, dealer said VW will cover under warranty. unfortunately they wont replace the paint protect film that is on that section as they view this as a modification, bit crumby but glad it was a no fuss exercise.

That’s a shame but it’s good they are fixing it. I’m hoping it last this time around [emoji4]

Andy1987
02-02-2022, 11:39 PM
I noticed this on my 2019MY yesterday; booked in to VW - very cold weather recently with several sub-zero nights in a row. Exact same position for me and actually have identical cracks on both sides. Can't upload images for some reason.

I also get the large 'twang' when pulling off the drive - this will also be investigated when it goes in...I was told 18 months ago that they had the fix for this and were waiting something out of Germany but I think this was to fob me off for a bit longer to whittle the warranty down.

REK
03-02-2022, 09:28 AM
This is scary considering my Arteon is out of warranty now :|

saint70
05-02-2022, 12:38 PM
This is scary considering my Arteon is out of warranty now :| I would still take Arteon [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

messy_smith
28-04-2022, 05:31 PM
Seems I spoke too soon. VW is inspecting the vehicle roof again and lots of questions about the car history. i had a cracked windscreen a few weeks later and they are trying to tie that to the crack or the strip of ppt film that is on the leasing edge of the sunroof plastic part. Implying it isnt a known fault but something else.

hopefully I they come to the party on it.

messy_smith
18-06-2022, 03:43 PM
Update: Had the plastic part of the roof fixed this week by VW. Happy with the work, and I was fourth in line, another Arteon and 2 Golf R in for the same thing. Yet they say its not a common fault?.

Keep an eye on yours for hairline cracks forming.

nermal
18-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Do you know if that's a complicated (or expensive) part?

I'm kinda toying around with the idea of making one out of carbon fiber... wondering if it's feasible to make a mould from an original

messy_smith
18-06-2022, 05:23 PM
Sorry, not sure of the cost of the part. it looks to be about 1cm thick. if you can match the curve at the front you could replicate. the original cannot be taken off without destroying it. glued in place and the repair diagram i have shows they need to cut into it to remove.

nermal
18-06-2022, 07:40 PM
Sorry, not sure of the cost of the part. it looks to be about 1cm thick. if you can match the curve at the front you could replicate. the original cannot be taken off without destroying it. glued in place and the repair diagram i have shows they need to cut into it to remove.

Interesting... so you'd probably need to buy a new one to create a female mould from. Could get the contour while in place, but wouldn't get the depth/edges right. If it's glued in place, then the back may not have clips/details to worry about.

Vedi
18-06-2022, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a carbon fibre style wrap might be the best option? The gloss black does blend with the sunroof quite nicely.

nermal
19-06-2022, 11:51 AM

Do you happen to know what the part number is?

There are a few body highlights that may look good in real carbon fiber. Thinking things like brake intakes, window pillars, mirror caps, sunroof surround, add in a rear diffuser (subtle spoiler maybe)...

nermal
20-06-2022, 01:39 PM
Decided to quit being lazy and just google it - looks like the part# is: 3G8877059 - 2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL R-Line Hatchback Front panel. FRONTPANEL. Sunroof Molding - 3G8877059 | Wisconsin (https://www.myvwpart.com/p/Volkswagen_2019_Arteon-SEL-R-Line-Hatchback/Front-panel-FRONTPANEL-Sunroof-Molding-Sunroof-trim/73911958/3G8877059.html)

If easy to make a carbon version, it could provide a strong/durable replacement - that could also be (optionally) painted. I'll try to see what the underside looks like and also if possible to source a cheap one from somewhere (pity they break when removed). Rubbers may also complicate things.

Cracking seems to be a common problem when searching online. I'm not too happy with the amount of flex mine has, especially at the ends.. tho TBH, it'll probably be if/when it cracks before I'm motivated enough to do something..

OziBeerMan
02-08-2022, 08:20 AM
Took my Arteon to the dealer yesterday for a few things plus to look at my sunroof surround. I have identical cracks either side. This is a large dealership located in the Southern Highlands of NSW. They did everything to fob me off. Denied it was a known issue and even tried to suggest it was an impact strike. Yes, a simultaneous strike in exactly the same position at exactly the same time either side of the sunroof. They’ve now asked for copies of all service related receipts (can’t go off VW database because they said VW won’t accept their report on the cracks without scanned copies of service receipts) to add to their report on the cracks. Mine is a 2017, out of warranty and the cracks appeared earlier this year. I contacted VW Australia regarding it ( 3 emails and a phone call before anyone spoke to me ) and they said it needs to be inspected by a dealer and for them to submit a report. Here’s hoping.

Vedi
02-08-2022, 09:30 AM
Hoping they do the right thing and come to the table to repair it. I moved on from buying Subaru because twice Subaru Australia refused to fix known faults that other countries did recalls on.

nermal
02-08-2022, 10:08 AM
I think someone here mentioned that there's some sort of implied (anti-lemon) warranty under consumer law... if a part is expected to perform for a given amount of time, but regularly fails. eg. gearbox commonly fails after 4 years due to engineering fault.

Not sure if that's accurate, or would even cover a sunroof design/manufacturing flaw...

messy_smith
02-08-2022, 05:45 PM
I think VAG head office is well aware of this one. dealer starts with the usual “that not a common” problem but VW will fix it.

if you have no luck, try the vw dealer service dept at parramatta. When i had mine in, there was another arteon and golf in for the same thing. at least they would be familiar with the issue.

OziBeerMan
03-08-2022, 08:20 AM
Did anyone else who’ve had the repair done, had to submit receipts and copies of services to the dealer for them to write the report for VW? I’m wondering if this is just my dealership being difficult in requesting these.

nermal
03-08-2022, 10:37 AM
Does the problem begin with a strange popping/tappy sound?

I've had some sunroof noises that were mostly solved with Krytox and custom replacement grommets... but there's a remaining noise in the cabin I can't seem to track down. It's the kind of sound you get when a seatbelt buckle taps against hard plastic when not in use - though I've ruled this out, along with noisy headrest, door/window/hatch rubbers.

I can imagine it possibly being the sunroof surround adhesive letting go or allowing some movement.

messy_smith
03-08-2022, 06:11 PM
I had mine done a couple of weeks ago. They only took photos of the crack and then roughly 4 days later got a call to book it in for the repair. They never spoke to me or did i have to provide any other paperwork. The service centre were really helpful, while it was hard for them not to say it was a common issue with a golf7.5 sitting beside mine and arteon just finished the repair waiting for pickup.

OziBeerMan
09-08-2022, 09:47 AM
Was yours still under warranty?

messy_smith
10-08-2022, 07:19 AM
Yes it was. i know it makes a conversation easier but they know how much it is happening, you would hope they help.

OziBeerMan
11-08-2022, 05:27 PM
Yes it was. i know it makes a conversation easier but they know how much it is happening, you would hope they help.
Which dealer did you take yours to? I’ve now had a goodwill claim submitted, so here’s hoping. However my dealer is still claiming it’s not a widespread issue.

messy_smith
11-08-2022, 05:42 PM
Had mine with Denlo Parramatta service

simm0
05-09-2022, 09:58 PM
I’ve now had a goodwill claim submitted, so here’s hoping.

Any luck mate? Had the issue just crop up on my 2014 Golf GTI.

Arteonuser
23-09-2022, 12:45 PM
Hi Team,

I found a small crack on the same spot after seeing this post. I have a 2018 Arteon though and it is OOW already.
Is VW still doing a recall on the sunroofs?

Cheers

OziBeerMan
30-01-2023, 06:12 PM
Any luck mate? Had the issue just crop up on my 2014 Golf GTI.
I have been haggling with VW for months now. They have offered 30% of parts coverage only, as they believe it has been caused by impact strike. Today I lodged formal complaint with NSW Fair Trading and NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal.
To say I'm peeved off is an understatement.
Friends, could any of you help me out supporting my claim this is a known problem. Would you all be ok if I took screenshots of this thread? Anyone willing to email me about their repair/issues?
I'm going to fight these bastards.
Irrespective of the warranty status of the vehicle, the Acceptable Quality Consumer Guarantee (a piece of legislation) says that a product must meet the durability expectations of a reasonable consumer.

If it doesn’t you have to repair it or replace it for free. This is legislated. I smell a bit of The Castle going on here.

genebaby
03-02-2023, 03:18 PM
Good luck, let us know how you go.

OziBeerMan
05-04-2023, 10:32 AM
I had to take VW to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal, where after negotiation they agreed to cover 50% of total cost and labour. Is getting replaced today.

OziBeerMan
27-04-2023, 05:48 PM
So I’ve had the repair done. After negotiating 50% coverage, in fact VW covered 3/4 of the cost according to my invoice. So quite happy with that. Still angry it took me 12 months and a tribunal hearing. And they are still saying it’s not a known issue.

messy_smith
28-04-2023, 04:23 PM
I agree with you considering both brand new golf8 and arteon in at the same time as mine. I did have warranty and up to date servicing with VW maybe that helped me across the line. The conversation did start with them stating possible impact, but the split was so straight like a knife through butter, it wasn't like others posted.

Vedi
28-04-2023, 08:46 PM
It's not a great look and loses a lot of brand loyalty.

Looking at other common faults, it seems to be a problem with most AU brands refusing to acknowledge problems even when there have been recalls in other markets.