PDA

View Full Version : Lunched a gearbox in the Arteon

DreamensioN
01-07-2021, 12:53 PM
tl;dr Arteon is at VW dealership waiting on a new gearbox from Germany

For weeks (maybe even months) now - I've noticed the gear shifting in the Arteon becoming more noticeable, especially on the downshifts. It was never at the point where I thought it was a problem - it was just noticeable. Then the other day I go to the shops and at slow speed, I noticed a real jerk with the gear upshift. It was at this point I think "Yeah that's not right"

I then start driving home and I can feel something is different with the car - it didn't have the power it did. At about 500m from home, pull up to a roundabout to give way to traffic, and I get a "Gearbox Fault" (or maybe it said Gearbox Failure) warning come up right in the middle of the dash, and the car goes into neutral. Luckily I still had enough momentum to keep rolling and pull over.

I put the car in park, turn it off and back on again - and surprisingly the gearbox comes back. I'm able to limp the car home, but there is a noticeable loss of power. I pull into my garage, shut down the car and get out - and I notice all this clear fluid (like oil) dripping out everywhere under the car. I'm figuring it's DSG fluid or something (as it clearly wasn't engine oil).

I call VW Roadside assist and the car gets towed to the dealership where I get all my servicing done. They call me today after they've had a look at it...the gearbox is completely blown. They said there's a hole that has blown out the side of it.

Because it's a 2017 model, the car is out of it's 3yr manufacturers warranty, but I bought the extended warranty for 1yr (which is basically just insurance for mechanical repairs), however this only covers up to $5000 worth. Talking to the lady at the VW dealership - she reckons VW Australia (should) cover this as it's a....wait for it.... known fault :eek:. Worse case is VWA covers most of it and we use the $5000 from my "extended warranty" to cover the gap so I'm not out of pocket.

It could be up to 2 months before I get my car back. Luckily we are a 2 car family and we're also in lockdown here in QLD - so there's no immediate need for another vehicle. But I will likely use my 10 days car rental from VW Roadside Assist, and then whatever the dealership can loan me until my new gearbox comes from Germany.

So guys - something to be mindful of and/or - if you have a chance to extend your warranty - lol...do it.

rjt86
01-07-2021, 02:15 PM
Wow, that’s scary, is your car completely stock and how many km’s?

I would love to hear a bit more info from you as to this “known fault” when you chat with VW further,
That’s a little concerning.

ope126
01-07-2021, 04:02 PM
6spd or 7spd? Never heard of this before...
Who has the car, Cricks at Springwood? That's were I go...

DreamensioN
01-07-2021, 04:40 PM
Wow, that’s scary, is your car completely stock?

I would love to hear a bit more info from you as to this “known fault” when you chat with VW further,
That’s a little concerning.

Yep - completely stock apart from the "Audi mod" which is hardly a mod. Dealership said they'll keep me up to date - so if I get any more info I'll post here. When I got home and saw fluid pouring out everywhere, I did a search on it and found this video from the TDIClub forums. DSG Leak? - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ho_Yua8IQs&t=9s&ab_channel=NickBoyd) (this is what the underside of my car looked like) - there are also other links on VWWatercooled where people have had DSG fluid leaks and it seems to be a problem related to the filter and/or filter seal. So I thought maybe it was just that....I had a problem with the seal, I lost fluid, and that's the problem. Replace the filter/seal, top it back up - easy fix.

But after the car went to the dealer and they explained the issue I was like "Daaaaaaammmmmmnnnn". Her exact words were "Did you hear a really loud bang at any point?"

I'm just glad it is being covered under warranty. No way am I pulling $20K out for a new gearbox. If it came to that I'd just buy a whole new car.

Yep - Cricks at Springwood. Though I bought the car from Cricks at Maroochydore and my "extended warranty" is with them, but Springwood is honoring it (if they need to). And it's a 7sp DSG (wet).

rjt86
01-07-2021, 04:40 PM

It will be a 7 speed, from memory DQ 381

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzy_Robot
02-07-2021, 05:40 PM
Oh man, that's sux!! Do let us know the outcome. I just took mine in for it's 60,000 km service. Oil consumption remains on the higher side needing a top up between services, but so far hasn't been as dramatic as your ownership experience. How many kms has yours done?

I can't help notice in your signature your Mrs has a 140TDI Superb Wagon. I presume the sensible choice is still going strong??!?

DreamensioN
03-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Oh man, that's sux!! Do let us know the outcome. I just took mine in for it's 60,000 km service. Oil consumption remains on the higher side needing a top up between services, but so far hasn't been as dramatic as your ownership experience. How many kms has yours done?

I can't help notice in your signature your Mrs has a 140TDI Superb Wagon. I presume the sensible choice is still going strong??!?

Yep for sure - I'll keep this thread updated with what happens. I'm up to 68,000km in mine so far.

And yep - we've had no major issues with the wife's car. One annoying issue that took a while for Skoda to believe us (to get it properly looked at), was the fan kept running after the engine was turned off. We realise this is normal for a diesel if a regen of the diesel particular filter was happening when the engine was shut off. However the problem was the fan would go on full speed non-stop until the battery went flat.

This actually happened a few times and each time Skoda would say it's normal. One time it happened at 11pm at night when my wife was by herself and she had to wait for roadside assistance to restart the car. Then a week later it happened at home while the car was in the garage - this time the car hadn't even been running and the fan just turned on until it drained all the battery power.

After that Skoda finally believed us and we had it towed to them. Turned out the relay for the fan controller was faulty. Since then we've had no issues at all with it and it has been a great car.

Buzy_Robot
03-07-2021, 12:27 PM
They are really great cars, but it ain't nice when there's a glitch and the dealership resorts to the stock standard 'it's normal' response or 'there are no fault codes present' response.

Kevin Dennis Volkswagen have a new service manager who is actually listening to me about the engine oil consumption issues happening between services. He told me if it happens over the next 7,000kms to bring it in & they will drain the oil pan, measure the weight, refresh the oil, get me to come back after 1,000kms, repeat same process and re-assess the situation.

I've been with them for almost 10 years, so treating me as an intelligent and informed customer goes a long, long way at keeping me with them and the brand itself.

Good luck, mate! Good to read VW agree the time frame and kms traveled for the DSG to fail means it was never fit for purpose and are replacing it with no charge to you.

PDRx
03-07-2021, 02:42 PM
It will be a 7 speed, from memory DQ 381

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DQ 381 - Is that the same one as in the Golf R?

I had one replaced after an incident involving children leaving a storm drain cover open. Thanks to VW and insurance it didn't cost me a cent of the $18 000 to replace the gearbox and some suspension parts.

rjt86
04-07-2021, 06:08 PM
DQ 381 - Is that the same one as in the Golf R?

I had one replaced after an incident involving children leaving a storm drain cover open. Thanks to VW and insurance it didn't cost me a cent of the $18 000 to replace the gearbox and some suspension parts.

The storm drain cover accident wouldn’t have been fun.

Correct other then the Arteon the DQ381 is generally found in MY18 Mk7.5R, S3, Passat B8 206Tsi maybe a few others.

DreamensioN
13-08-2021, 08:30 PM
So that wasn't so bad... 6 weeks and I now have the car back. Drives like brand new. They weren't very forthcoming with what the actual issue. The service sheet says...
- Found hole in back of gearbox causing oil leak
- Scanned vehicle, opened diss
- Carried out test plan as per TPI and found old pressure pump exceeds 8 BAR pressure
- Need to replace gearbox

To VW's credit, and that of Cricks...I was hardly inconvenienced by any of this. VW Australia organised a hire car for me immediately, and I had a few update calls from the dealership just letting me know where things were at. Then the other day I get told the car is ready to be picked up and I went and got it, then took the hire car back.

Even though the car was 6-7 months outside it's manufacturers warranty - it only had 67,000km on the clock. And lets face it... a gearbox shouldn't let go on a car this "new". It's not like I was doing burnouts in it bouncing off the rev limiter or anything. So even if VW said they weren't going to fix it, I would have a good case under consumer rights to challenge them. But I'm glad I didn't have to and they just said straight up they would cover it.

If you have the 5yr warranty - that's good, and if you plan on keeping the car - maybe buy an extended warranty if you can (not that it'll do much good if it has a $5000 limit like mine). Or if you notice a little jerkiness on the downshifts - maybe get your service department just to make note of it. So if something does happen (like it did to mine), you've got an issue noted while it was still under warranty.

rjt86
15-08-2021, 09:09 AM
So that wasn't so bad... 6 weeks and I now have the car back. Drives like brand new. They weren't very forthcoming with what the actual issue. The service sheet says...
- Found hole in back of gearbox causing oil leak
- Scanned vehicle, opened diss
- Carried out test plan as per TPI and found old pressure pump exceeds 8 BAR pressure
- Need to replace gearbox

To VW's credit, and that of Cricks...I was hardly inconvenienced by any of this. VW Australia organised a hire car for me immediately, and I had a few update calls from the dealership just letting me know where things were at. Then the other day I get told the car is ready to be picked up and I went and got it, then took the hire car back.

Even though the car was 6-7 months outside it's manufacturers warranty - it only had 67,000km on the clock. And lets face it... a gearbox shouldn't let go on a car this "new". It's not like I was doing burnouts in it bouncing off the rev limiter or anything. So even if VW said they weren't going to fix it, I would have a good case under consumer rights to challenge them. But I'm glad I didn't have to and they just said straight up they would cover it.

If you have the 5yr warranty - that's good, and if you plan on keeping the car - maybe buy an extended warranty if you can (not that it'll do much good if it has a $5000 limit like mine). Or if you notice a little jerkiness on the downshifts - maybe get your service department just to make note of it. So if something does happen (like it did to mine), you've got an issue noted while it was still under warranty.

Glad it’s all fixed, a bit disappointing they didn’t state the cause of the fault, maybe the local techs didn’t pull it apart as it goes off for investigation overseas or the likes.

last I was at the dealer they mentioned there was a DSG software update they applied to my car. I doubt software would prevent this sort of mechanical failure however but we’ll see how long mine lasts.

Buzy_Robot
19-08-2021, 05:31 PM
All's well that ends well! DreamensioN, what did they give you as a loan car?

DreamensioN
20-08-2021, 05:07 PM
what did they give you as a loan car?

I actually had 2 loan cars over the 6 week period. A Nissan XTrail and a Mitsubishi Outlander.
Both just base models with a CVT gearbox. :gasp: I freaking hate CVT transmissions. Feels like driving a manual with a constantly slipping clutch.

The Outlander was the nicer of the two vehicles, but their infotainment screen was horrible. So soooooo laggy.

Mr_206
21-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Glad you got it sorted and honoured to do the job!. My car has 15000kms and 3.5 yrs old and had an error saying instrument cluster fault and VW Aus wouldn't even help. I had to take it to a dealership for them to look at it which was going to cost me almost $200! Luckily fault went away and i didn't take it in. But just sux they wouldn't even help me out!

Buzy_Robot
21-08-2021, 06:28 PM
I actually had 2 loan cars over the 6 week period. A Nissan XTrail and a Mitsubishi Outlander.
Both just base models with a CVT gearbox. :gasp: I freaking hate CVT transmissions. Feels like driving a manual with a constantly slipping clutch.

The Outlander was the nicer of the two vehicles, but their infotainment screen was horrible. So soooooo laggy.

And despite the glitches I bet you couldn't wait to get your Arteon back!!

With apologies to all the SUV lovers out there, but when I'm given a base model Tiguan or T-Cross during service visits, I can't wait to jump right back into my Arteon!!

Buzy_Robot
21-08-2021, 06:32 PM
Glad you got it sorted and honoured to do the job!. My car has 15000kms and 3.5 yrs old and had an error saying instrument cluster fault and VW Aus wouldn't even help. I had to take it to a dealership for them to look at it which was going to cost me almost $200! Luckily fault went away and i didn't take it in. But just sux they wouldn't even help me out!

Oh dear! That's not good at all. Even if outside warranty, I would expect goodwill to kick in. My only fault at the moment is that sometimes - not always - the rear view camera won't retract even once the car is turned off and left for the day. I'm told there's no fault code, so all must be right ... hmmm?

Golf Girl
24-09-2021, 04:57 PM
when I'm given a base model Tiguan or T-Cross during service visits, I can't wait to jump right back into my Arteon!!

I was given a T-Cross for a loan when my Arteon was in for it's infotainment system swap (warranty). I didn't like the T-Cross at all. Interior looked cheap, motor sounded crap (loud, drony, like it was working hard), gutless with no power. Just an overall disappointment.

F6310
12-08-2022, 09:29 PM
This just happened to my brothers car. His description of events matches yours almost identically.

Hole in the back of the box.

I couldn’t find anything on the net other than this post so it can’t be too common.

DreamensioN
13-08-2022, 11:33 AM
This just happened to my brothers car. His description of events matches yours almost identically.

Hole in the back of the box.

I couldn’t find anything on the net other than this post so it can’t be too common.

Whoa. So is VW covering the repair or is the car still under warranty?

F6310
14-08-2022, 05:28 AM
out of warranty. Hasn’t gone to vw yet.

will tell him to and see what happens.

DreamensioN
15-08-2022, 08:37 AM
out of warranty. Hasn’t gone to vw yet.

will tell him to and see what happens.

Whoa - hopefully they come to the party and replace it under good will.

Ask him if he ever remembers a loud bang or unexplained sudden loud noise coming from under the car. The reason I mention this is because VW asked me if I heard a loud bang. In the moment they asked me I couldn't remember but then afterwards thinking back - I did.

This one night I was driving home doing about 100kph on the highway and there was a really loud sudden but short noise. More or less a "bang" under the car. I thought it was a huge pot hole I hit (because that's what it sounded like) but the car didn't jolt or anything and I remember being a bit confused because as far as I could tell the road was smooth.

That would of happened a few weeks before my car had to be towed to the dealership. Hence why I never put two and two together until way later when I was thinking about it.

Manaz
17-08-2022, 02:30 PM
Whoa. So is VW covering the repair or is the car still under warranty?

Be aware that VW's claims of a 3 year warranty do not necessarily meet the ACCCs concept of your rights under Australian consumer law.

VW fixing things that are their responsibility under law has nothing to do with "good will".

amunra
19-08-2022, 10:35 AM
consumer goods act.

anything that costs reasonable amount of money or is marketed / sold as top of line needs to meet certain quality criterias. with or with out warranty periods (think its up to 10 years)... gear boxes just ****ting themselves and just falling out of a warranty period is disgraceful if they want to charge you for a new one.

threaten them with this, if no remedy (which can very well be with VW knowing from my own experiences) you take em to small claims tribunal or threaten them with ACCC action they will most likely come to the party.

If not.. Just got thru ACCC and potentially small claims tribunal and you will win. little bit of writing emails and providing info but better than buying a new one yourself for 15 - 20k as you quoted.

I am actually preparing a claim for my driver seat which deformed and warped when using the stock seat heater after 30.000km and was straight up dismissed and ignored a few times by the service department/ shop as WEAR AND TEAR :banana: and also suspension strut mounts which were squeaking after 15,000 like a caravan.. not bad for flag ship cars that cost $60k+

This will all be done after I nail finance for constantly providing misleading documents, old payment statements (trying to extort more money), failure to communicate or respond properly to concerns, and giving bogus offers and renegging on them saying they were bogus and if i am an idiot.

Just hit VW where it hurts and they will fix it for you.

I think its about time everyone just took a stand and ****ed these scumbags up properly and maybe they would change how they treat CUSTOMERS who make them all their money..

They talk like they are giving these cars away for free and we should just be grateful

Manaz
19-08-2022, 10:44 AM
I totally agree on taking a stand. And the "test" is not even that complex.

The ACCC will apply a "reasonable person" test. That is, if a reasonable person would expect that the item would not fail after that period of time, then the seller/manufacturer are obligated to fix it under warranty.

amunra
19-08-2022, 10:53 AM
I totally agree on taking a stand. And the "test" is not even that complex.

The ACCC will apply a "reasonable person" test. That is, if a reasonable person would expect that the item would not fail after that period of time, then the seller/manufacturer are obligated to fix it under warranty.

if more people stood up to these SS style tactics... and was made public... I would guarantee you they would start putting out better quality products without the 50 defective parts known all around the world and use better quality materials instead of cutting corners left right and centre to save money and then BLAME THEIR CUSTOMERS.

**** em, Hope you you get a new gearbox plus some.

VW is quite literally the worst company to deal with from sales, post sales, warranty and finance I hope VW AUSTRALIA gets nailed hard.

Even finance ombudsman told me the same the other , he would imagine the manager general or whoever is the highest rank would be squirming if he heard how they were treating myself in particular and 100s - 1000s of customers the same.

quite literally.

I Have only had problems since i bought the car,, from misleading sickness policies (was actually 3 years not 5 as stated pre purchase).. lost a pay out due to back injury from the faulty seat... literally lapsed 6 months after i made my claim.

faulty parts, strut mounts, seat degradation, peeling chrome interior (literally sliced my hand open and bled all over my suit before a meeting), faulty interior LED lights, neglect at the workshop (received my car back with scratches all over my pristine air box like they just threw it on the ground on purpose), faulty waterpump / thermostat (had to be replaced 4 - 5 times now in my time owning the car) and I haven't even gotten to the finance department yet.

I even had to have my door replaced once from a small tbone accident... and it was replaced with a door with metal parts in it that i literally had to open up and try and fish out with a magnet... managed to get 1 peice out but clearly theres another one...

Was either replaced with a faulty door or simply the inside of the door has had peices come loose and roll around in there.

It literally is a ****ing nightmare and i would not recommend a VW product to anyone unless you are capable of working on the car yourself and saving the money ( like i have been doing ).

What a nightmare company

F6310
24-08-2022, 06:50 PM
So there is a recall for the earlier arteon gearboxes and due to a software issue that they are clearly playing down.

VW are going to replace it due to this.

Might be worth getting whatever the patch is for the people with the early model cars.

Check their website with your vin, the update came out a couple of months ago due to this issue

amunra
24-08-2022, 08:24 PM
So there is a recall for the earlier arteon gearboxes and due to a software issue that they are clearly playing down.

Might be worth getting whatever the patch is for the people with the early model cars.

Check their website with your vin, the update came out a couple of months ago due to this issue

They will play everything down unless you have some proof of the recall and threaten with ombudsman.. if they dont come to the party just call ombudsman and ull have ur gearbox replaced asap.

Glad ur getting ur problem fixed.

F6310
24-08-2022, 09:11 PM
It’s on their website and any of the global ones too.

Doesn’t seem like they are trying to get out of it.

Once they post up a notice like that your covered as they don’t put a time limit on these things.

Here’s the Australian link

Service Campaigns and Recalls | Volkswagen Australia (https://www.volkswagen.com.au/app/locals/owners-service/service-campaigns-recalls)

amunra
24-08-2022, 09:14 PM
It’s on their website and any of the global ones too.

Doesn’t seem like they are trying to get out of it.

Once they post up a notice like that your covered as they don’t put a time limit on these things.

Here’s the Australian link

Service Campaigns and Recalls | Volkswagen Australia (https://www.volkswagen.com.au/app/locals/owners-service/service-campaigns-recalls)

From my experiences and even other people i know that've had VW recalll issues.. theyll try and weasel out of anything unless you nail them.. like literally they will shift blame to onto anyone and anything except themself and try and extract any money if they can.

So incase they do.. you make 1 call to ombudsman with that document and ull be fine.

Its really just a message to anyone on this forum whos had issues with them not to roll over and take it up the arse like they would like u to

REK
29-08-2022, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I just booked a service for the gearbox control unit update

F6310
02-09-2022, 10:52 AM
Cars just come back today. Took it for a drive myself and it feels so much better than it ever did before.

It was never as smooth as it is now. whatever change is in that software should have been done long ago

nermal
02-09-2022, 12:22 PM
Cars just come back today. Took it for a drive myself and it feels so much better than it ever did before.

It was never as smooth as it is now. whatever change is in that software should have been done long ago

Good to hear =)

I'm guessing that this would wipe/override a DSG tune? Or are they different control units (or settings)?

dairyfloss
05-09-2022, 11:34 AM
Good to hear =)

I'm guessing that this would wipe/override a DSG tune? Or are they different control units (or settings)?

Interested in the same... I've booked for the VW service campaign update, and have a booking at my tuner workshop the next day for dustless pads, and if needed, a refresh of the TCU software. Hoping the two work well together.

Cheers,
Matt.

Vedi
07-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Had my 4 year service yesterday with the DSG fluid changed. I went to a reputable independent as I was very unimpressed with the VW dealer not carrying out all the required items for the 3 year service.

Turns out my DSG fluid was 1.2 litres under filled from the factory. Apparently under filling isn't that uncommon for some reason. Pretty scary as it could lead to early failures. Don't wait too long for that DSG service everyone!

dubrav
08-10-2022, 10:16 PM
Hi Vedi, can you share where you went and how much was the service? My car just hit 60k and i need to do it asap

Vedi
09-10-2022, 12:30 PM
No worries, sent a PM with a bunch of details.