PDA

View Full Version : Touareg vs. Hummer

Transporter
23-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I saw this today in carpark and couldn't resist to pull over next to it and take a picture just to compare the size with our Treg.

More pictures in here.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mrlautomotive/TouaregAlbum

gerhard
24-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow!!

My two first choices to replace the Jackaroo side by side :)

If only the Hummer came with the VW V6 diesel instead of the poxy 5cyl petrol guzzler with no torque :(

If only the Touareg came with snorkel and some off-road tyre options :(

An idea for a transplant is forming in my mind :mad:

phaeton
24-02-2008, 09:32 AM
And yet most likely both have the same interior space j:

balkanac
26-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Toureg for me any day! Hummers are just extensions IMO. No style, crap interior, looks like a box on wheels. Tregs are just beautiful!!

gerhard
26-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Balkanac, you can extend your any way you like, but I personally object to being referred to in that manner because I like the H3. Making comments like that on a forum does nothing for your image.

I don't own either, but I like both. The Toureg because of its class, and the H3 (Adventure pack version) because it can go where the Toureg won't.

I may buy the H3 but not before it is fitted with a V6 diesel, and I am still hesitating on buying the Toureg, because it won't handle the bush/offroading that I do, due to poor availability of off-road rubber, no snorkel, and no spare.

gregozedobe
27-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Balkanac, you can extend your any way you like, but I personally object to being referred to in that manner because I like the H3. Making comments like that on a forum does nothing for your image.

Settle Gerhard, :)

Take note of the little (but very significant) acronym "IMO" That means "In My Opinion" with all that implies. He didn't refer to you personally, nor does it mean you can't have a radically different opinion, or that I might believe you are both totally wrong j:

It is way too easy on an internet forum like this to take something in a way totally different to what the poster intended, so whenever you feel insulted it is worthwhile to re-read a post and see if it can be interpreted a different way. Makes for a much more civilised discussion if differences in opinion can be discussed in a lively and informative way without worrying if someone is feeling a bit sensitive today.

Of course all the above is only my opinion, and others are free to hold a quite different view on what is what (and I don't mind if they do) ;)

balkanac
27-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Gerhard, im sorry if i offended you, that was never my intention.
I think im entitled to have my own opinion, as well as yourself, and i dont think you should take offence because my opinion is different than yours. I get called a lot of different names for driving a Golf, especially in Serbian community where these cars are seen as cars for women and if you drive a little Golf and you are 6 foot 3, you must be gay. But those are personal opinions.
I hate Hummers, and amricans in general because of some personal reasons, and even if i didn't, IMO, Hummers are still boxes on wheels. IMO, get a landcruiser and that will take you everywhere, it will even outlast the GM box.

Flipper Dog
27-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh I love a healthy discussion on forums where everyone has the right to express their personal options, and that's what it is, your personal options. It is ever better if you can back up your emotional wording with facts but don't let that get in the way of a good old agrument. :D

One point I would like to make is that Volkswagen makes a TOUAREG not a TOUREG. :)

dmm_au
29-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I may buy the H3 but not before it is fitted with a V6 diesel, and I am still hesitating on buying the Toureg, because it won't handle the bush/offroading that I do, due to poor availability of off-road rubber, no snorkel, and no spare.

There are V6 diesels and there are V6 diesels. I suspect even if the hummer got a diesel engine (and I think the jeep Wrangler has one) it might not rival the Touareg.

My new Touareg (it's on the boat) will have a spare, but your correct that it has no snorkel. As for the tyres, the issue seems to be that it doesn't use 16" rims. I reckon I'll find some suitable rubber for the weekend.

Secret Squirrel
24-06-2008, 06:51 PM
And yet most likely both have the same interior space j:

I would say the Touareg would have the edge in interior space. The Hummer is based on a Rodeo chassis.

In every regard the Touareg is massively ahead of the H3, which is sad, because with the right engine/gearbox/suspension combination (and Euro build quality...) the hummer could well be a great car. I wanted to buy one prior to the Aussie launch last year but after seeing the car and the specs in the flesh and weighing everything up with the current 3.7l 5cyl engine it's just not worth it. The thing can't tow a decent boat and it struggles being able to take a 4 man payload to the snow...

TouaregTuff
18-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Like Chalk and Cheese I reckon :)

Volvo Driver
22-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Toureg for me any day! Hummers are just extensions IMO. No style, crap interior, looks like a box on wheels. Tregs are just beautiful!!
I agree.

I don't own either, but I like both. The Toureg because of its class, and the H3 (Adventure pack version) because it can go where the Toureg won't.

It's not too hard to get a snorkel made up by a fabrication company, and rims are easy to change.

If you want to go off-roading, buy a 40 series do heaps of work to it and take it out every weekend and drive a Golf during the week, would probably end up saving you money.

gerhard
25-08-2008, 12:16 PM
It's not too hard to get a snorkel made up by a fabrication company, and rims are easy to change.

There are hundreds of Touareg owners on Club Touareg Forum, many of whom bemoan no snorkel, and not one of them has had one made up, either easily or with great difficulty. This would indicate that it's actually very hard to get a snorkel made up.

If you want to go off-roading, buy a 40 series do heaps of work to it and take it out every weekend and drive a Golf during the week, would probably end up saving you money.

There's a tiny word you left out here - comfort - that's something you can never build into a 40 series......:)

I have solved my dilemna for the time being, and rather than buying the H3 Adventure Pack (with very good off-road credentials but crappy engine) or the Touareg, I have indeed purchased a nice little Golf to buzz around in through the week, and kept my trusty Jackaroo for weekend play with comfort retained - us old farts need that.....:biggrin:

sonicmg
20-01-2009, 01:25 PM
I would buy a Touareg over a Hummer not based on size or power but mainly due to reliable, VW has a great reputation to produce good quality cars...in style and comfortable too. I think personally the Hummer is still a few years away from where VW are now. And also as if the Dakar has anything to prove Touaregs are up there now....with the powerhorses of the Landcrusiers/Prados/Pajeros/Defenders and Navaras.

Transporter
09-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Still, love my Touareg.

kaoticice
12-06-2009, 08:41 AM
^ Touareg is a beautiful elegant looking car. The Hummer is just SEX!! :biggrin: Seriously, u cant ever pimp properly without a Hummer. Dot.:bowdown:

phaeton
12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
The Chinese will fix Hummer now :nana:

Transporter
12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
The Chinese will fix Hummer now :nana:

Yeah, that is very sad. How they could allow it? :duh:

phaeton
13-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Yeah, that is very sad. How they could allow it? :duh:

Worse mistake ever by GM; they should have sold back to the US Army or a man named Arnold :biggrin:

This will eventually ruin Hummers 'strong' ethic once people realise the Chinese are building them :brutal: