PDA

View Full Version : Arteon Tyre Replacement

7R
05-01-2021, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

I need new tyres for the Arteon. The front set have done 30k and it's time to replace them. The standard are Pirelli P Zero 245/35 R20 95Y. Local mechanic says they come with a tyre sealant. Like for like appears to be around $420 per corner (I am only doing front at this stage, still 10k left in the rears).

Does anyone recommend anything else or best to stick with the OEM spec?

thanks

ope126
05-01-2021, 08:51 PM
Mate, get any tyres that you wish...

Your original Pirelli P Zero had Seal Inside Technology; Seal Inside: discover the technology | Pirelli (https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-au/car/tech-and-knowledge/seal-inside)

My Passat Alltrack had the same (along with many other cars in the past), I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tires.

Different tyre manufacturers call it a different thing, however is not required (don't get confused with Run Flat Technology).
I do not know of any VW's in the range with Run Flat.

Either way, those 245/35 R20 95Y tyres are going to cost you a pretty penny!

Everyone has their favorites, but you can't go wrong with Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli in my personal opinion.

Let us know how you go!

Lucas_R
05-01-2021, 09:18 PM
The Pirelli PZero’s wear quickly (especially on the outer edges) and have a habit of splitting/delaminating sidewalls. My brother has now replaced 3x PZero’s on his 2018 Skoda Octavia RS due to split sidewalls.

Personally I would not recommend the PZero’s but its up to you.

As an option, I recently fitted these Hankook Ventus S1 Evo 3’s to my Mk7 Golf GTI and am very happy with them. When I got them a few months ago they had a “buy 4 and pay for 3 deal” so this was a good saving.

The Hankook’s have a slightly higher treadwear rating than the PZero’s so they should theoretically last a bit longer, grip really well and are quiet.

Hankook 245/35R20 Tyres from $399 | JAX Tyres & Auto 1300 367 897 (https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/hankook/ventus-s1-evo3-k127?sku=ha2453520k127y)

Lucas_R
05-01-2021, 09:24 PM
Another alternative which I had on my previous car and would recommend is the Falken Azenis FK510. Good tyre and rated really well for the price.

FK510 245/45ZR20 103Y | 245/45R20 Tyres for sale (https://www.bobjane.com.au/a/245-45r20-tyres/falken/fk510-245-45zr20-103y/12674?variant_id=12674)

Suncoaster
06-01-2021, 09:21 AM
In my opinion, and for that size vehicle, I would go for Michelin Pilot 4S. They are more expensive but I had a set of 255/35x19's on a previous Audi Quattro and they transformed the car following a set of Pirelli P Zeros.. The Michelins hold on in the wet and won't let the front end break in roundabouts and tight corners. They are comparatively quiet and hard wearing as well. Cheers- John

Aussie quad rider
07-01-2021, 05:15 AM
I recently had the originals replaced in Geelong $325 each

brad
07-01-2021, 08:09 AM
Michelin PS4 (which are different to Michelin Pilot 4S). The great all rounder!

Pirelli would be my last choice unless they were ridiculously cheap (like $200 each)

Vedi
07-01-2021, 09:22 AM
I don't love the P Zero's... put the tyre specs and your postcode into Tyroola.com.au (https://www.tyroola.com.au/) and grab some prices to compare it to. Most local places will do a price match.

Picked up some Continental ContiSportContact 6 for $300 a corner. They are doing really well and compete with the best of them: Continental Sport Contact 6 - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-6.htm)

As above, Michelin Pilotsport 4 is a great recommendation if you can find them in the Arteon size. The 4S version is a bit of overkill and a firmer drive, but if the price is right might be a good option.

7R
07-01-2021, 03:57 PM
Perfect, thanks all.

Yes - 30,000 is pretty average in my experience coming from a Golf 7 R and a 6 GTI plus a few V8s with 19s and 20s prior.

A lot of options there -

Hancook
Falken
Michelin
Conti

I will use the search engine recommended and see what I can come up with. I will change the car in the next 12 months so need to do all four by then.

Cheers.

7R
09-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Jesus that was a long and involved process. Fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres this morning. Feels like a brand new car. Love them. $419 a corner from Tyre Rite in Parramatta.

Two days from order to fitting for them to come from Michelin Melbourne warehouse. Had I been unable to get them I was going with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 5 or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 but both very had to find at the moment, especially in a 243/35 20 size.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Buzy_Robot
14-03-2021, 05:18 PM
Just got mine replaced at 55,000 kms at Bridgestone Select, Hoppers Crossing

Last set were Dunlops from same place.

New ones are Bridgestone Potenza 245/35R20 95Y XL

$1400 for 4 tyres and wheel alignment

Had to wait a few days because of low stock.

Impressed so far and haven't even pushed them to the max ... yet!!

dubrav
23-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Got mine replaced last Friday @45000km , i got Michelin Pilot Sport 4S MO from Tempe tyres in Fairfield for $395 and i just love them , performed very well during downpour in Sydney in the last few day, they feel like they just cutting through water on the road.
Michelin 2453520 95Y Pilot Sport 4S MO | Tyres | Tempe Tyres (https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?michelin-2453520-95y-pilot-sport-4s-mo)

dairyfloss
02-05-2022, 10:59 AM
Have just bought some new shoes for my MY18 Arty. I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S (245/35/R20), which I picked up for $515 a corner from Bob Jane at Gladesville, NSW. Hard to find these at the moment (hence little option for discount), and was happy they could source quickly from another state, ahead of due service.

My previous rears were the stock P Zeros & had 31K on them, and the fronts were Kumho Ecsta PS71s, which were installed not long before I bought the car from a dealer, and had maybe 10-15K on them. Not sure what happened to the original Pirelli fronts, but suspect they might have had sidewall damage, and were replaced by the owner.

I've not had much time on them yet, but the PS4S tyres have transformed the ride. Handles really well, together with being a lot more comfortable and quiet. Very happy with the choice, so far!

Cheers,
Matt.

Vedi
02-05-2022, 12:27 PM
I also ended up going the Pilot Sport 4S on the front about a month ago and they are great. Previously used Continental SportContact 6, which were good but had a fairly high rolling resistance.

With all the pot holes and supply issues, it was slim pickings for the Arteon 20" tyres, so glad they were in stock.

I've previously used Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my other cars and always rated them highly, but the 4S is even better. It seems to live up to its high reputation.

I believe the Pilot Sport 5 will be out soon, and no doubt an 'S' version somewhere down the track. Although Michelin aren't always consistent with their naming conventions.

nermal
02-05-2022, 07:08 PM
Another +1 for Michelin Pilot Sports. We been running them on our Passats for years. The old 125TDI originally came with PZeros and they soon developed flat spots that produced a weird "thud thud thud" road noise, which made me think there was something seriously wrong with the car, until it was diagnosed by a mechanic.

We switched them for Pilot Sports and it was a whole new car again. The R36 loves them too - they just stick it to the road.

The Arteon came with a mixture of Pilot Sports (front) and PZeros (rear). I'll be swapping those PZeros out next chance I get - will probably check Costco for pricing. The local Bob Jane usually have decent deals too.

Manaz
09-05-2022, 09:44 AM
I've been very happy with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres on other cars, a shame (but not a surprise) to hear the Pirellis aren't going well for people...

Manaz
01-06-2022, 12:23 PM
Pilot Sport 5 has been released now too...

amunra
01-06-2022, 02:46 PM
kinforest kf550 uhps. well built all rounder at $120 a corner cant be beat.

Manaz
01-06-2022, 02:52 PM
kinforest kf550 uhps. well built all rounder at $120 a corner cant be beat.

Kinforest KF550 UHP - Tyre Reviews and Tests (https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Kinforest/KF550-UHP.htm)

Mixed reviews, but not universally bad (and the bad ones are mysteriously vague on detail).

amunra
01-06-2022, 03:04 PM
read the peoples actual reviews and what cars they are driving.. they are damn reliable and pretty decent at spirited driving and reliable in the wet (not sure about hard spirited driving in the wet) but i never had an issue with them until about 35,000km+ when they spun wheels once in the wet from a stand still..... better than falling apart at 100kmph+ on the freeway

ill be replacing all my goodyears with them ..

Vedi
01-06-2022, 08:00 PM
read the peoples actual reviews and what cars they are driving.. they are damn reliable and pretty decent at spirited driving and reliable in the wet

tyrereviews.com is excellent but you can't put much weight in the user reviews. Especially where they might be coming off worn out and chewed up tyres - anything new is going to feel decent.

You really want their proper Tyre Test Results where they test a range in controlled settings. I'd expect some huge differences in braking distance alone.

I don't think you need to buy the most expensive tyres out there, but they are are the only thing sticking your car to the road, so I would never go cheap.

Haldex with most tyres aren't going to lose traction easily in most road conditions, but in those situations you really need it, my life is worth a few extra bucks than that.

amunra
01-06-2022, 09:05 PM
tyrereviews.com is excellent but you can't put much weight in the user reviews. Especially where they might be coming off worn out and chewed up tyres - anything new is going to feel decent.

You really want their proper Tyre Test Results where they test a range in controlled settings. I'd expect some huge differences in braking distance alone.

I don't think you need to buy the most expensive tyres out there, but they are are the only thing sticking your car to the road, so I would never go cheap.

Haldex with most tyres aren't going to lose traction easily in most road conditions, but in those situations you really need it, my life is worth a few extra bucks than that.

u can put plenty of weight into user reviews.. its what its all about

Manaz
01-06-2022, 09:42 PM
u can put plenty of weight into user reviews.. its what its all about

No, actually it isnt. There's a whole world of reasons that user reviews can be bad. Poor understanding of the product, bad experiences in the past, buyers bias (I paid money for these, I'm not about to ****can them), drivers who think they're great but are terrible, drivers who think they're terrible but are great, absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, confirmation bias (where you pay more attention to things that confirm a pre-held opinion, and pay less attention to things that challenge it) , the list goes on and on and on. Quite simply - there's too many variables.

I wouldn't discount them entirely, but neither would I rely on them absolutely. The very fact that the reviews swing from raving about how good they are to slagging them off as completely useless shows clearly that there's too much variation in user reviews to be used as a reliable indicator on their own.

It's variables that tyre reviewers try to reduce (and if they can't reduce them, to at least account for them). Of course there can be bias there too - if tyre company X pays my magazine/website for advertising, am I *really* going to slag off their latest product (some sites will, some sites won't), and nor are they totally immune to some of the things I raised as potential concerns on user reviews.

amunra
01-06-2022, 10:42 PM
No, actually it isnt. There's a whole world of reasons that user reviews can be bad. Poor understanding of the product, bad experiences in the past, buyers bias (I paid money for these, I'm not about to ****can them), drivers who think they're great but are terrible, drivers who think they're terrible but are great, absence of evidence is not the same as evidence of absence, confirmation bias (where you pay more attention to things that confirm a pre-held opinion, and pay less attention to things that challenge it) , the list goes on and on and on. Quite simply - there's too many variables.

I wouldn't discount them entirely, but neither would I rely on them absolutely. The very fact that the reviews swing from raving about how good they are to slagging them off as completely useless shows clearly that there's too much variation in user reviews to be used as a reliable indicator on their own.

It's variables that tyre reviewers try to reduce (and if they can't reduce them, to at least account for them). Of course there can be bias there too - if tyre company X pays my magazine/website for advertising, am I *really* going to slag off their latest product (some sites will, some sites won't), and nor are they totally immune to some of the things I raised as potential concerns on user reviews.

yeh but the negative ones arent really descriptive or informative.. i know plenty of people who make stupid negative comments about things in real life and u ask em why they cant tell u

Manaz
01-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Yes, but then the positive ones, some people simply aren't qualified to say things are good either...

amunra
01-06-2022, 10:58 PM
Yes, but then the positive ones, some people simply aren't qualified to say things are good either...

u cant beat customer satisfaction