PDA

View Full Version : oil time

william
21-02-2008, 11:53 AM
i just bought some lube motul competition 15w50sae do you guys think it would be ok for my vr6??? i usally use 20w50 in mobil

motul also have a 20w60 but i thought about it but would be too thick

its pricey all up $90 but really good oil

balkanac
21-02-2008, 11:55 AM
its thinner than the one you are using so it can't be worse. You might need to change it earlier, and it burns easier

william
21-02-2008, 12:00 PM
its thinner than the one you are using so it can't be worse. You might need to change it earlier, and it burns easier

i got the motul bc my mates audi rs6 has that in it and ive checked it since i serviced it and the oil colour is still good i does burn alittle but is standard being german i may buy a 2L bottle for that alone

The_Hawk
21-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Everyone will have a different opinion on oil and there have been many many threads where people have asked is XXX brand good for my car or not.

In short, stick with a fully synthetic oil of a grade that doesn't burn off in two weeks. Personally I use Fuchs 10W40:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/IMG_5613-1.jpg

The VR6 tends to drink a little oil so you need to keep on top of it, I check the oil whenever I add fuel and add as needed.

william
21-02-2008, 12:35 PM
ive heard good things about this oil too but im sceptical as our cars are not new cars and this oil 10w40 is standard for all petrol engines at vw dealerships and what is in the owners manual but for a vr6 i thinks its too thin

Bubu
25-02-2008, 02:07 AM
i got the motul bc my mates audi rs6 has that in it and ive checked it since i serviced it and the oil colour is still good i does burn alittle but is standard being german i may buy a 2L bottle for that alone

The oil helps clean up the internals of your engine. If it maintains its 'new' colour then the oil is not cleaning your engine internally. I know it dosent sound right but the quicker it turns black the better the oil in keeping deposits from building up on internal parts.

vinderliker
25-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I use the Fuchs synthetic fortified Performance Plus 15w/40 for the Little Beasties SEAT 1.8. It is time to change the oil and it is still opaque! It also only $29.95.

ranton-inc
25-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I always you Castrol Edge 10w60

the GTI loved it..

120,000kms and no signs of giving up and i gave it death every waking hour of the day..

it doesnt sludge either and block the oil feeds!

The_Hawk
25-02-2008, 10:39 AM
ive heard good things about this oil too but im sceptical as our cars are not new cars and this oil 10w40 is standard for all petrol engines at vw dealerships and what is in the owners manual but for a vr6 i thinks its too thin

I wonder about that myself as the VR6 burns off a bit of oil... close to 100ml a week and I don't have any leaks so it really is burning off. Mind you I check the oil whenever I fill up and have a measuring cup in the garage, so when I get home I stick a little extra in.

It's a real debate in my mind, the VR6 is a hot engine and WILL burn oil. As long as you are aware of it and check it every couple of weeks it's not an issue. The 10W40 seems to perform very well otherwise so again I'm not really looking at something else.

I would be very interested to hear from other VR6 owners how much oil they burn off and what grade they are running.

william
25-02-2008, 10:46 AM
i burn about 500ml every 3months or so i check mine regularly, it usual burns off in through the exhaust system it is normal as european cars where not made for australian climate its hotter than in europe running temp is higher oil burns quicker my opinion some may have others

Golf Loon
25-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I use a good mineral oil for VR6s. Synthetic is too thin and a waste of money imo.

Castrol Magnatec is good and the engines run better on it.

Jmac
25-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Loon i use Magnatec on all the range mate been great oil and ill continue to use it.
By the way for the rest of you Vw/Audi have in the manual that it is acceptable for your engine to use 1ltre per 1000ks. Most dont but they have covered themselves well.
Cheers

Jarred
25-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Personally I don't have any experience with oils. I do know that Tim (golfworx) stands by Mobil XHP1 (I thnk that's what it's called) he wouldn't use anything else he says. It's a non synthetic.

They guy at repco said to me (old fella, so he may be wise) that aslong as you go with something big brand named, and the correct weight, you should be right, most big oils companies tend to know what they're doing, you'd think? hmyea.s

jayjay
25-02-2008, 06:54 PM
hehe.. if you two guys are standing by magnetec.. i wonder which oil i'll buy next... :rolleyes:

aslong as you go with something big brand named, and the correct weight, you should be right,
i think that's the idea that goes through my family.. but they're all in IT so wtf would they know:P i think i'll pick up some magnetec =]

static1800
25-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I've used magnatec for some time now also, i stand by it.

ranton-inc
26-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I wonder about that myself as the VR6 burns off a bit of oil... close to 100ml a week and I don't have any leaks so it really is burning off. Mind you I check the oil whenever I fill up and have a measuring cup in the garage, so when I get home I stick a little extra in.

It's a real debate in my mind, the VR6 is a hot engine and WILL burn oil. As long as you are aware of it and check it every couple of weeks it's not an issue. The 10W40 seems to perform very well otherwise so again I'm not really looking at something else.

I would be very interested to hear from other VR6 owners how much oil they burn off and what grade they are running.

i dont burn any oil..

The_Hawk
26-02-2008, 12:00 PM
i dont burn any oil..

Part of what I have read along my travels says that Synthetic is great for new vehicles and questionable for older ones. As Loon as said, Synthetic being thinner tends to leak and/or burn off where a mineral oil doesn't.

Which leads back to my question, how much oil does a VR6 actually burn with different grades?? Especially anyone who is already running Magnatec?

I'm happy to move to Magnatec and will consider just that, but I want to be able to see some benifit in doing it.

ranton-inc
26-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Part of what I have read along my travels says that Synthetic is great for new vehicles and questionable for older ones. As Loon as said, Synthetic being thinner tends to leak and/or burn off where a mineral oil doesn't.

Which leads back to my question, how much oil does a VR6 actually burn with different grades?? Especially anyone who is already running Magnatec?

I'm happy to move to Magnatec and will consider just that, but I want to be able to see some benifit in doing it.

oh right..
you have a slightly older vehicle right..

gotcha then yes do avoid synthetics..

also if she is running a little noisy tip a litre of moreys in after you have changed your oil.. for older stuff i swear by it!

but if your talking your MKIII VR6

Fork out and buy the 10w60 everyone in the VW community here with mKIIIs and IVs swears by Castrol EDGE its a full synthetic.. not a cheap blend synthetic like most are...

The_Hawk
26-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Fork out and buy the 10w60 everyone in the VW community here with mKIIIs and IVs swears by Castrol EDGE its a full synthetic.. not a cheap blend synthetic like most are...

Yep I'm talking about the VR6. It's interesting to see a 10w60, would have thought a little on the thick side... Still, I'm open to any information or suggestions people may have.

MattyT
26-02-2008, 02:05 PM
My car had Agip 10w60 in it when I bought it. The engine ate it like no tomorrow but otherwise seemed quite happy.

Have had Fuchs Super Titan GTO 10w30 in it for a year and only topped it up last week (i only drive on weekends).

I really want to chuck in a very high quality oil on my VR6's upcoming service. It's going to be going on a racetrack soon and I'm driving it harder these days, which I think calls for oil thats up to the job. Motul Chrono 300V 10w40 is what I'm thinking... or maybe Mobil 1 5w-50.

MattyT
26-02-2008, 02:24 PM
I just looked up Magantec and it doesn't sport any approvals from VW. However Castrol EDGE 0W-40 has 502 00, 503 01, 505 00 MB.

While Motul 300V doesnt have any either (Motul 4100 turbolight does tho), Mobil 1 0w-40 (not 5w-50, sorry) has 502.00/505.00/503.01.

Hmmmm...

vinderliker
26-02-2008, 05:24 PM
The Castrol, Fuchs and Valvoline sites use an automated oil chooser, and using the SEAT cordoba 1.8 1995/1997 as my car (as you all know I have a SEAT 1.8 in the little beastie) my choice of oil companys are of Fuchs: TITAN SUPERSYN
or TITAN SUPER GTO 10W40 (I use Performance plus syn fort 15w/40 which is no longer listed on their website, but Autone who stocks Fuchs has some at $29.95), Castrol:Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 or Castrol GTX3 Modern Engine 15W-40 and Valvoline:PROBLEND trade only 15W-40 or XLD ENGINE ARMOUR 15W-40 syn fort. All this talk has confused me on what oil I should use. I think I am happy with the Fuchs oil ( The sump bolt leaks and I have to check the level and ad as needed. I suppose i will check the prices of the other oils as listed above and make a decision. I have had two bits of conflicting advice from mechanics I look up to, one said a good synthetic and the other a good mineral, so I suppose a fortified synthetic is a good compromise, I think?? Any comments??

Jmac
26-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Magnatec does support VW 505.00 dont know where you are looking, 5w,10w and 15 w respectively. And it makes sense.
We used it in the Vw dealership for years back in the UK , dealing directly from Castrol, Superior oil as far as im concerned.
Cheers;)

Golf Loon
26-02-2008, 09:17 PM
vinderliker you definately dont need a syntheric in a cordoba motor running carbys in a 1974 passat.

MattyT
27-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Hahaha, ummmm no I dont think he does either.

Castrol GTX2 20w-50 is what I ran in my old 1986 mazda 626 carbie. Was just fiiiiine.

This is my first "modern" engined car and I have no real idea what's meant to be in it. Most people seem to say synthetic, although the vw manual doesnt appear to mandate synth or mineral, just a vw approved 10w-30 or 10w-40. :???: