PDA

View Full Version : idiots guide to supercharging..

the scotsman
21-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Thinking about putting a supercharger on my mk2, looking for any help guidance etc about what to look for and a rough guide of the costds involved. Engine is 2ltr with polished/ported head, fast road cam, matched manifolds... advise away!

balkanac
21-02-2008, 10:23 AM
i dont know much about it either, i know the principle of how it works so i wanted one on my car. The lowest quote i got was $12k!! So my car remains stock :)

Jarred
21-02-2008, 10:31 AM
expect it to be as expensive as turbo-ing.

I think you'd need a de-comp plate, to lower compression a bit. all the pipe work, the supercharger, and depending on whether you're digi or Kjet engine manage ment, will need adjusting I thnk. Figure you'll need a new cam to get the most of of it. and then tuning, the whole engine would need retuning with the SC on it.

I thnik i'd be simpler to do a 20VT conversion in it, in terms of value for money and ease of conversion and end result (more powah!), that is unless you know of any supercharger "kits" for them.

But yea,. I'm no mechanic. that's just a few things that came to mind, I'm happy to be corrected on anyting.

vwrallycar
25-02-2008, 07:19 PM
im looking at doing the same. i think a toyota s/c would be best. if you are using the factory computer you may have problems tuning, but you will need to lower compression, run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, bigger injectors, possibly a bigger fuel pump. there was a guy on here with this done to his 2L, but i havent heard from him

peedman
25-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Just a little info on the toyota ones, ull be after the SC14 which came from the 1GGZE motor. They have a clutch on them so you need to hook up a switch to turn the s/c on much like u do with ac. I would say u need aftermarket management, i wouldnt go playing around with the kjet stuff (but i dont know much about it anyway).

WABIT
25-02-2008, 08:18 PM
expect it to be as expensive as turbo-ing.

I think you'd need a de-comp plate, to lower compression a bit. all the pipe work, the supercharger, and depending on whether you're digi or Kjet engine manage ment, will need adjusting I thnk. Figure you'll need a new cam to get the most of of it. and then tuning, the whole engine would need retuning with the SC on it.

I thnik i'd be simpler to do a 20VT conversion in it, in terms of value for money and ease of conversion and end result (more powah!), that is unless you know of any supercharger "kits" for them.

But yea,. I'm no mechanic. that's just a few things that came to mind, I'm happy to be corrected on anyting.

you cant compare a bolt on supercharger kit to a 20VT conversion its a whole diffrent ballpark

wabit

Jarred
25-02-2008, 08:25 PM
you cant compare a bolt on supercharger kit to a 20VT conversion its a whole diffrent ballpark

wabit

i wasn't aware there are any "bolt on" kits availiable. any SC setup would have to be custom wouldn't it?

WABIT
25-02-2008, 08:34 PM
bolt on meaning stock internals and no engine work done.... just fabricate and tune is classified as bolt on

wabit

Jarred
25-02-2008, 08:37 PM
From my orig quote thingy, I was talking about a bolt on kit, well thats what I meant. ie a kit with all the piping and upgrade hardware etc that just bolts on, and fits, ie no custom work.

As far as i know there arn't any kits that just bolt on/bolt into place. That's probably what I should have said in the first place.

Jarred
29-02-2008, 08:59 AM
ah-ha! I know know of a "bolt on type kit" well actually, I didn't really read it in great depth,but have a look at this mate:

http://rotorcharged.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11/

Preen59
03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
bolt on meaning stock internals and no engine work done.... just fabricate and tune is classified as bolt on

wabit

I wouldn't consider 'bolt on' to be fabricated parts. Bolt on in my way of thinking is off-the-shelf (or as good as) parts that are mass or semi-mass produced for a quick, easy installation. I'd consider fabricated parts with a unit designed for something else to be a custom job whether the engine is pulled apart or not.

Oh, and it depends on you comp ratio as to whether you need to de-comp the donk. If its around 9.5:1 or lower you should be able to get away with it on reasonable boost.

Hydro
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I Love Superchargers. I have had one for many years and wanted to instal
it on my ride [ just never got to finish it ].
- Street Supercharging is best done very subtly. With low boost and good spark retard
system - you will have no problems adding it to your standard motor.
This will gain you Loads more Torque and awesome sound but not a Huge increase in power.
Makes the driveability superb - and if driven right - will not break axles / CV 's / gear boxes
but will make most V8's seem like slugs.
Glenn

Hydro
01-04-2008, 12:03 PM
Here's a little tease,
The camera I had back then was very poor.
I had finished the manifold but then re-worked it.
Then changed engine layout and had not done the alterations.......
I am keeping the Blower in case I get keen and decide to put on
the Rocco I'm getting.
Glenn