PDA

View Full Version : Gearknob's weight. Does it matter?

Adam
19-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Hey all,
Did searches on the net, and on the forum regarding the weight of the gearknob. I am looking at getting one at the moment for the 'bling' factor, and the not so bling factor(performance?)...

So, I have heard that the weight of the gearknob gives a certain "feel" when shifting gear. Thus, my question is, does the weight of the gearknob makes any difference? would a heavier knob makes a better shift, or would a lighter one does just that?

Thanks for all your input in advance.
Adam

velly_16v_cab
19-02-2008, 06:58 AM
on the "rod change" gearbox's (mk1 mk2 and early mk3's) you can change one of the rods to a thicker/heavier rod which give a better feel and reduces the flex in the rod during gearchange.

I have never heard of changing the Knob to a heavier one.

DUBING
19-02-2008, 07:23 AM
im also thinking of changing my valve caps but can't decide.. :? neon's or no neon's.. which one will give me a better driving experience...:confused:

gpk_gti
19-02-2008, 07:29 AM
hmmm... good question adam,doubt it makes a difference.I used to have one of those billet balls on a old car years ago.had a nice feel,but used to get bloody hot in summer!

and igor,,depends which area of south west sydney you live in... dont get caught with the wrong colours in the wrong area! LOL.. always a clown!you taking lessons from ray?:D

velly_16v_cab
19-02-2008, 08:41 AM
im also thinking of changing my valve caps but can't decide.. :? neon's or no neon's.. which one will give me a better driving experience...:confused:

no valve caps, it will make you wheels lighter therefor should drop you 0-100 by a second! ;)

Tim
19-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I think you will find that there are shift weights on some cars that give the shift its "feel"
I know the mk3 vr6 for example has a dirty big shift weight on the cable shift mechanism.

The_Hawk
19-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I think you will find that there are shift weights on some cars that give the shift its "feel"
I know the mk3 vr6 for example has a dirty big shift weight on the cable shift mechanism.

Pity it's still like stiring a pot of stew. Bring on the short shift with side to side reduction I say!

gareth_oau
19-02-2008, 10:32 AM
thats a good question actually. I'm thinking that an oversized, and heavy gearknob could cause two rather major problems:

1/ a large size knob will suffer excess wind resistance whilst going through the gate, slowing changes dramatically,
2/ the excess weight will devastate the overall power-to-weght ratio of the car.

Think verrrry carefully before deciding Adam!! j:

DUBING
19-02-2008, 12:43 PM
and igor,,depends which area of south west sydney you live in... dont get caught with the wrong colours in the wrong area! LOL.. always a clown!you taking lessons from ray?:D

haha ye i enrolled in his clowning collage, been study hard.. j: have to pass my final ;)

Adam
19-02-2008, 01:48 PM
But seriuosly guys.... Would it? I mean, the aftermarket manufacturers have different specific weighted gear knob...

velly_16v_cab
19-02-2008, 02:42 PM
post a link to what you mean?

i dont like the idea of a lead-ball on my gearstick! :???:

i have a weighted rod on my cab for feel/less flex

Adam
19-02-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.carmate-usa.com/html_razo/razo_shift_m_formulaspec.htm

say this for an example, they give you the weight such as "150g" or "375g" for a particular style, and this

http://www.carmate-usa.com/html_razo/razo_shift_m_carbon_dark.htm

you get three choices...

if weight doesn't matter, then would they give you variety? and which one to get? heavier or lighter?

also, it could be just for advertisement, but on the site, it says

Designed with proper weight for improved shift feel as well as reduced miss-shifting

Spyda
19-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I changed my stock gear nob with a big metal wolfburg one, it feels better in my hand and does feel different regarding weight, its easyer to throw around but adding performance of any kind i dont think so. Just feels better.

velly_16v_cab
19-02-2008, 03:30 PM
its just a "feel" thing, like i said you change the rods on the 020 box's for less flex and better engaugment (sp!)
isnt there a weight on the cable box's too???