PDA

View Full Version : Transporter’s Crafter 4motion

Transporter
27-06-2020, 08:05 AM
After long waiting it finally arrived, picked her up 4 weeks ago.
What a fantastic ride compared to my last van 2018 Iveco Daily. The only think that I miss from Iveco is the 150kW/470Nm 3.0TD engine, though the Iveco 6speed manual was dreadful to live with.
The Crafter is in completely different league compared to Iveco, refined, comfortable especially with the ergo active seat with a massage function. I’ll post a seperate thread with the things I like and don’t like after I do 5,000km.
The longer rear overhang compared to Iveco van may be an issue when reversing into steep driveways and the first working days ahead are going to indicate if I get the Seikel lift kit for her or not. For now the search is on for suitable 17” or 18” wheels, but no rush as the current tyres are too good to go to waist.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/524af5672b70f97b649fc7687d34edda-1.jpg

Foxpuppet
27-06-2020, 10:34 AM
After long waiting it finally arrived, picked her up 4 weeks ago.
What a fantastic ride compared to my last van 2018 Iveco Daily. The only think that I miss from Iveco is the 150kW/470Nm 3.0TD engine, though the Iveco 6speed manual was dreadful to live with.
The Crafter is in completely different league compared to Iveco, refined, comfortable especially with the ergo active seat with a massage function. I’ll post a seperate thread with the things I like and don’t like after I do 5,000km.
The longer rear overhang compared to Iveco van may be an issue when reversing into steep driveways and the first working days ahead are going to indicate if I get the Seikel lift kit for her or not. For now the search is on for suitable 17” or 18” wheels, but no rush as the current tyres are too good to go to waist.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/524af5672b70f97b649fc7687d34edda-1.jpg

Dream vehicle! Taken it on any rough roads yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transporter
27-06-2020, 11:26 AM
Not yet. Only just done 500km, as I’m still fitting the interior and my heart bleeds every time I have to drill into the floor and the sidewalls are off limits. So it’s very slow work in progress.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/9d83f0a1339417975a5776133e7d25b5file-1.jpg
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/06/15662faf6b71fb05c01513923ba50d6cfile-1.jpg

Lance
28-06-2020, 10:41 AM
I do admire your keenness, but wouldn't it be an easier and just as effective job to lay an MDF sheet over the floor rather than cut individual slats and drill the floor ?

Transporter
08-07-2020, 07:13 PM
I do admire your keenness, but wouldn't it be an easier and just as effective job to lay an MDF sheet over the floor rather than cut individual slats and drill the floor ?

Definitely not. I carry heavy tool chests and only fool would attached them to the wooden floor only. To drill into the floor, you have to see where you drilling, otherwise it could end up as disaster. Also, the 4motion has 100mm less headroom than FWD Crafters, so every centimetre counts. The factory floor is nice but it brings your head 20mm closer to the roof.

I have kept the last Vdub van for 11 years, so I don’t mind spending bit more time to adapt to my exact needs. :)

Lance
09-07-2020, 10:18 AM
Fair enough, if that setup suits your application, great ;-)

phaeton
11-07-2020, 02:15 PM
Congrats Miro :)

Transporter
13-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Congrats Miro :)

Thanks Ben.

tigger73
13-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Nice one Miro. What’s the specs on the new van?

Transporter
13-07-2020, 06:59 PM
So far stock standard, the options I went with:
LED headlights, which I highly recommend anyone who’s ordering new van
ErgoComfort driver seat with massage function after driving from the jobs :)
passenger bench seat,
2x AGM batteries with increased capacity - should never run out of the starting power
Difflock
Navigation
LED lights in cargo area
Dual sliding door

Foxpuppet
16-07-2020, 10:46 PM
What are the LED lights for the rear interior like?

Transporter
16-07-2020, 11:43 PM
They’re great. Also they stay on for very long time, hours instead minutes compared to my 2005 T5.

Transporter
28-07-2020, 06:15 AM
Not a good experience so far. Just after 2 weeks of using it for work and exactly 1053km, this happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkhttps://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/07/1888a15ed319606301864ed9b791bcadfile-1.jpg

Sharkie
28-07-2020, 09:30 AM
:confused: What happened?

Lance
28-07-2020, 10:28 AM
Bugga............ :0

Foxpuppet
28-07-2020, 12:46 PM
That’s not great at all, got a backup?

Transporter
28-07-2020, 01:31 PM
That’s not great at all, got a backup?

Only my Amarok, which’s way too small even in for short term.

Foxpuppet
28-07-2020, 01:47 PM
Bummer, critical failure? Did they give eta?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Transporter
28-07-2020, 02:51 PM
Yes and no is short answer right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Foxpuppet
04-08-2020, 09:55 PM
I don’t understand why they don’t have a courtesy vehicle ready for things like this? My T5 lost the mechatronic unit a few days before the 3yr warranty ran out. It was off the road for 25 days waiting on new one and I was given a crafter as a loan vehicle for the duration of the repairs.

tigger73
04-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Just read your other post and that's really not very good at all. For VW and the dealership who deals in commercial vehicles not to have a loan vehicle for a business that has a vehicle off the road with an engine failure after 1,000km of ownership is really pretty poor form. Unless of course all their loan vehicles are out with other customers with blown engines...

Transporter
04-08-2020, 10:18 PM
I don’t understand why they don’t have a courtesy vehicle ready for things like this? My T5 lost the mechatronic unit a few days before the 3yr warranty ran out. It was off the road for 25 days waiting on new one and I was given a crafter as a loan vehicle for the duration of the repairs.

I carry approximately 1500kg tools, equipments and spare parts. The tool chests need to be fastened somehow to the floor. So, I’m guessing that they are worried that this could somehow decrease the value of the loan vehicle at the time of sale.

Volkswagen Warranty | Owners & Service | Volkswagen Australia (https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en/owners-service/warranty.html)

tigger73
04-08-2020, 11:21 PM
Very frustrating. Next step ACCC? Just to get them to do what they promise they do on their website?

Sharkie
05-08-2020, 08:40 AM
I'd be starting to look at other legal options at the same time if I was you. Given that they are in what appears to be a clear breach of their own publically stated policy, you have a really strong case.

Your legal costs, full refund and even compensation for the loss of income and business would likely be claimable from VW Australia. In addition, their failure to act quickly in accordance with acceptable standards and even their own policy means they are also failing to mitigate your losses. A $70K refund from them could very quickly turn into a $150K+ payout ordered by the court.

The sad fact is, that until those legal documents land in their hands, they will do everything possible to stall you. Act quickly and decisively, use the media (including this forum) to get the word out; look at the mess Jeep landed themselves in due to their poor service and reliability and their resultant groveling adds theses days. You'd think VW was smarter than that .....

Sharkie
05-08-2020, 08:44 AM
BTW, I was about to buy a new V6 Amarok (in a manual). This thread and the info on EGR failures will mean this is now unlikely.....

After 13 VW's (and with 3 current ones) the R was likely my last :(

Lucas_R
05-08-2020, 10:07 AM
BTW, I was about to buy a new V6 Amarok (in a manual). This thread and the info on EGR failures will mean this is now unlikely.....

After 13 VW's (and with 3 current ones) the R was likely my last :(

Yes because you need another car Sharkie :) In all seriousness, the V6 TDI is overall a very robust and reliable engine.

Transporter - very sorry to hear about this issue with your new work van. Fingers crossed VW Aust sort this out quick smart for you. Imagine having to drive around as a mobile Euro mechanic in a Toyota Hiace or similar to have a reliable work vehicle.....not great advertising for VW.

Transporter
06-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Almost 2 months without van now and will have to after spending $70,000 + (if I count what it cost me to fit all my gear in) I will have to still buy a secondhand van to be able to run my business. This would be bad to happen in normal time, but during the global pandemic it’s unforgivable.

tigger73
06-08-2020, 10:50 AM
The stupid thing is both Solitaire and Southern know how much you spend with their parts departments and they still can’t get this problem sorted.

I can’t believe that VW aren’t able to sort out a new engine and a spare van until yours is fixed.

Transporter
06-08-2020, 01:52 PM
It’s not the dealers fault. There’s no new engine in the stock on this continent or near to us, and they don’t want to do what I’ve suggested to remove the engine from unsold van. It’s really hard to believe that they could work that slowly.
No new vehicles coming into Australia at the moment, any other dealer I’ve walked in today in Adelaide incl. Renault and MB had not much to do, since their yards are half empty or almost empty.

Yeah, I’ve made a big mistake getting rid of Iveco Daily. It’s not as comfy as Crafter but was more reliable, at least for me. If VW cannot get me identical replacement within 6months, then I wait for the Daily 4x4 van or order Sprinter 4x4.

tigger73
06-08-2020, 02:12 PM
I can understand why the manufacturer is reluctant to pull an engine from a new vehicle to fix the problem but if they can't come up with a reasonable solution in the time-frame it may be the only option they have left apart from supplying you with a brand new van (if they have one in stock). Of course there would then be the refit cost and ending up with a van that has been drilled/screwed with a blown motor. Not that it's your issue as VW has messed up by supplying a faulty EGR cooler.

Silver Caravelle
06-08-2020, 02:22 PM
Just bought a new car? | ACCC (https://www.accc.gov.au/update/just-bought-a-new-car)

Here is the link to the ACCC for general reference. Key to this is whether the vehicle seller has dealt with the matter for a major failure in a reasonable period of time to repair, replace or refund. If they haven't it highlights your rights. It would pay to examine how closely VW Australia's policy of 60 days aligns with the consumer rights and guarantees and whether this would be considered a reasonable period of time.

All the best.

Scott.

tigger73
07-08-2020, 07:26 AM
I'm actually thinking you have to bring in the legals and go for the car plus damages/lost income to your business.

The reason I'm saying this is that it will get the attention of management at VW. Right now it's probably just getting pushed around between the dealer and admin at VW warranty dept who don't have the authority to make a decision and don't have the parts to fix it.

If you slap some legal documents on the table it'll immediately get handled by a different department who is going to see this as a $200,000 problem that needs to get fixed ASAP to limit the possible damages.

Sharkie
07-08-2020, 07:53 AM
I'm actually thinking you have to bring in the legals and go for the car plus damages/lost income to your business.

The reason I'm saying this is that it will get the attention of management at VW. Right now it's probably just getting pushed around between the dealer and admin at VW warranty dept who don't have the authority to make a decision and don't have the parts to fix it.

If you slap some legal documents on the table it'll immediately get handled by a different department who is going to see this as a $200,000 problem that needs to get fixed ASAP to limit the possible damages.

Exactly! Why settle for just a repair/replacement when you are very likely entitled to compensation for damages, lost income etc ....

Transporter
07-08-2020, 08:37 AM
Let's say I gave them a reasonable time to respond. Wait for next week.

I must also add that VW Australia customer care is absolute joke, absolute lack of communication.

Dutch77
07-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Given it is a commercial vehicle, the obvious work done on the vehicle and the nature of your business it should be relatively straight forward for a remedy to go beyond replacement and also include coverage for your other losses.

I'd suggest finding the right lawyer and "investing" now to get the ball rolling with a letter from them outlining the issue and remedy sought.

Given location I can probably tap my network to see if there is anyone best placed to do something like that, just let me know.

Transporter
07-08-2020, 04:18 PM
Given it is a commercial vehicle, the obvious work done on the vehicle and the nature of your business it should be relatively straight forward for a remedy to go beyond replacement and also include coverage for your other losses.

I'd suggest finding the right lawyer and "investing" now to get the ball rolling with a letter from them outlining the issue and remedy sought.

Given location I can probably tap my network to see if there is anyone best placed to do something like that, just let me know.

Thanks mate, much appreciate. I may take that offer, if it’s not resolved finalised by Wednesday. Since I was told in today’s email that they’re finalising my case and I’d be updated by Wednesday. If not, I’d contact you by PM.

Dutch77
07-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Thanks mate, much appreciate. I may take that offer, if it’s not resolved finalised by Wednesday. Since I was told in today’s email that they’re finalising my case and I’d be updated by Wednesday. If not, I’d contact you by PM.

Fingers crossed for Wednesday as this would obviously be the best outcome.. otherwise happy to assist. :)

Foxpuppet
07-08-2020, 09:37 PM
Let's say I gave them a reasonable time to respond. Wait for next week.

I must also add that VW Australia customer care is absolute joke, absolute lack of communication.

I saw your wife’s post on an advert from VW on FB about it, have joined in the thread. Looks like it got the usual bot like response from a customer care officer [emoji15]

All the best for Wednesday!

Transporter
08-08-2020, 09:35 AM
I saw your wife’s post on an advert from VW on FB about it, have joined in the thread. Looks like it got the usual bot like response from a customer care officer [emoji15]

Thanks mate.

I really don’t understand why would they want a bad publicity like that? The manufacturer should know about it and how they go about resolving simple warranty claims. It’s a borderline with sabotage, letting otherwise good vehicle down and to get a bad reputation, potential loss on sales and let the opposition brands erode Volkswagen sales through bad customer support or lack of it.

I have a customer with the courier business who was about to switch his fleet of MB Sprinters to VW Crafters.

When he sees me on Monday in the Amarok and asks what have happened to my new Crafter? What do I say? Great vans, bad customer service?

Stay with MB, because they supply vehicles to government and emergency services and therefore they’re more likely to have the parts in the right quantity in this country, so there’s a minimum downtime and they don’t muck around?

MGV
08-08-2020, 06:24 PM
A terrible thing they are putting you through...

I would love to do the delete on my EGR ( & DPF ) right now, but doing that will have an adverse outcome on any other warranty claims that may arise between now & end of warranty period... But, on the other hand going ahead with it now will most likely prolong the life of my engine... Decisions...

Transporter
10-08-2020, 04:33 PM

...and as expected, VW Australia is deleting anything that’s negative or they don’t like.

Edit:
August 12 - my long awaited Crafter 4motion was bought back by VW Australia and I’m no longer the owner of 4motion Crafter.