PDA

View Full Version : Getting bugs off paint

balkanac
18-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Hello,
I have a problem. I drove out of Perth couple of months ago and when i got back i had a lot of bugs stuck to the front. I was very tired to wash the car straight away so i put it in the garage and went to bed. I was driving my 4WD for the next couple of days and i forgot to wash it.
I got to washing about a week later and i could't get the bugs off. I didn't want to buy any waxes/polishes coz i have no idea how to use them.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how i can get these off my car?

DubSteve
18-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Go and get it professionally cleaned will be worth the sparkle :D

Peter Jones
18-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I once drove my Kombi through a Locust plauge driving between Melbourne and Adelaide on a 40 degree day. They were about an inch thick on the front.

(Sorry guys this is one thing that aircooled cars are really good at, There were heaps of people overheating because of the temperature and the bugs in their radiators.:))

When I arrived in Adelaide a local scout group were doing a fund raiser carwash. You should have seen the look on their faces when I pulled in. I think they had the entire troop on it while I sat and had my lunch. I did however make it worth their while.

With your bugs, I'd recomend trying to rehydrate them before scraping them off. Make up a good foamy lather and let it soak for a bit. If you try to get them off and they're still dry you risk scratching the paint.

Pete

gareth_oau
18-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Balkanac, you can borrow my electric sander if you wish...

or better still park yr car in the local public swimming pool for an hour or twoj:

DUB 20V
18-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Go and get it professionally cleaned will be worth the sparkle :D

lol do it your self more satisfaction that way lol nice :D

Peter Jones
18-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Where I use to work we had a large fleet of cars parked at the depot. On days when everyone's cars were splattered with bugs a flock of birds would descend and spend the day gorging themselves off the fronts of the cars. Of course we then had to deal with the bird cr*p as well as the bugs............

Pete

intensem1
18-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Kero, just put it on with a rag, gets rid bug wax and doesnt effect the paint, try it on a small area first, but ive done it recently to front of silver car came up great, even without a polish.

DubSteve
18-02-2008, 04:14 PM
lol do it your self more satisfaction that way lol nice :D

Hahaha ahhhh toushay:D

DUB 20V
18-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Hahaha ahhhh toushay:D

:D:D lol sorry lol:D:D

brumue
18-02-2008, 05:02 PM
i rekon go down to you local self serve coin wash, use the high pressure hose.
If you go rubbing it with anything its going to mark the paintwork.

Once you've got off as much as you can with the high pressure, wash as you normally would

VWEAPN
18-02-2008, 08:57 PM
come on man, a bit of scrubbing gets it all off. polishes work fine & easy to use. dont need no fancy stuff

Spoddy
18-02-2008, 09:07 PM
come on man, a bit of scrubbing gets it all off. polishes work fine & easy to use. dont need no fancy stuff

CT18 truck wash does the trick - follow the instructions and make sure you give it a polish afterwards.:cool:

Mischa
18-02-2008, 09:10 PM
CT18 truck wash does the trick - follow the instructions and make sure you give it a polish afterwards.:cool:

just cuz your car sounds like a truck.... :P

vinderliker
19-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Caste your mind back a couple of years to a Mercedes add when a Buddhist monk was driving his Merc through a hail of bugs and was swerving everywhere? If you are a Buddhist, it is one of the top five things to live by(good karma) not to kill living things. Easy answer(with tongue firmly planted in cheek) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hello,
I have a problem. I drove out of Perth couple of months ago and when i got back i had a lot of bugs stuck to the front. I was very tired to wash the car straight away so i put it in the garage and went to bed. I was driving my 4WD for the next couple of days and i forgot to wash it.
I got to washing about a week later and i could't get the bugs off. I didn't want to buy any waxes/polishes coz i have no idea how to use them.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how i can get these off my car?

DubSteve
19-02-2008, 11:59 AM

I would have thought you would have said claying :D

VWEAPN
19-02-2008, 12:02 PM
oh yes how could i forget that special clay of mine. bugs aint stayin when your clayin

balkanac
19-02-2008, 01:23 PM
hmmmm, seems like people use different things for this. I tried scrubbing but it didn't work, so i guess i'll have to use som kind of product. Anyway, thanks for your help everyone

rayray086
19-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Hey balkanac, I use Goof Off (from Bunnings) to get rid of stubborn residues. It's not very corrosive, just need to follow the instructions on the bottle. If first time doesn't work, then the next few attempts would slowly get it off.

Bubu
20-02-2008, 06:18 AM
Wax your car once in a while it stops stuff sticking to the paint semi-permanent. It is also supposed to protect the paint from UV light.

geoff_gti
21-02-2008, 09:36 PM
I've used Armor All Bug & Tar Gel before, seems ok with a bit of a polish after.

Jarred
21-02-2008, 09:56 PM
maybe you should just ask the bugs to get off instead...?

balkanac
22-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I tried asking, being nice, offering food, alcohol, drugs.... tried screaming at them, ordering but nothing worked. They say they love the R32 too much so they are staying on!:?

NickZ
22-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Get some bug and tar remover. Although you should rewax after applying the stuff - I have the meguiars one and it does a reasonable job at cleaning the stubborn stuff.

99gti
23-02-2008, 12:27 AM
How fast were you travelling? A mate gad a maloo that was often found on the wrong side of the law. Because of this he had embeded some bugs into his paint. Nothing got them out - not even a clay bar!!!

qsz
23-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Automotive window cleaner will do the trick.
Spray it on heavily so the area is really wet wait about 1 min then wipe off with damp soft cloth.
You will need to polish it after as the bug splatter will have stained the paint as you left it too long. Need to get them off ASAP as they stain the paint on black/dark cars.

Cheers,

Simon

MattyT
23-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Try these:
Meguiars Gold Class Bug and Tar remover
Autoglym Active Insect Remover

Meg's should be avilable at any supercheap auto, autoglym is at repco.

No idea on cost, prolly around $15 each.

balkanac
26-02-2008, 11:29 AM
i ordered some Poorboys Bug Squash from waxit and i'll give it a go when it gets here. I dont really wanna use anything too strong that can damage the paint. I took the licence plate frame off the front bumper and it left tiny white marks. I used some cut & polish to get them out but it was too strong and now i have a spot of damaged paint on the front. I dont want that to happen again

Blitzen
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Metho and a soft cloth is the best I have found...Works better than Bug and Tar Remover from any brand I have used(I have about 4 types on the shed). It got a 4000km trips worth of bugs off my car(Darwin to Sydney in 3 days). Just give the car a good wash first.

pinzvidz
14-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Easiest way to get bugs off - use "U-ripper" or "Rip-Off" yellow in colour (no, it's not urine) heavy duty cleaner, slightly diluted in a spray bottle, spray on and let it settle for a few minutes, and high pressure clean, guarantee it'll be clean as clean can be. You'll need to wax a little afterwards. This stuff is also excellent for wheels and lower body, removing the dreaded brake dust and bitumen plus all the other road crap.