PDA

View Full Version : Audi V6 Cam Shaft Alignment Tool?

27litres
18-02-2008, 09:24 AM
G'day all.
New to the site and pleased to join.

I'm chasing a V6 Camshaft alignment tool for an Audi 12V 2.6 V6 (ABC) engine.
I am willing to hire one if anyone has one they can do without for a couple of weeks. I'm good with tools and promise to return it in the same condition it comes to me.

I don't wish to purchase one as I'm only ever likely to use it a couple of times if I'm lucky and don't wish to spend in excess of $200 for the privilage.
Besides which, I can do the job without it if necessary, but it won't be so easy!

I'm in eastern Melbourne, but I get around!
Thanks for your help anyone.

passatwagon18t
03-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I would not do this job with out the two tools that are needed because if you dont lock up the crank shaft on num1 and and the cams are not in the right place there is a good chance that the cam timing will be out and also the cams can spring back and cause all sorts of problems.

aprr32
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
You don't really need the tool if you set it up at tdc and mark everything with whiteout.I do them everyday and if you are even one tooth out it is very obvious.

Jmac
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Thats a crazy statement for a V6 mate, the cam pulleys are on a taper for the simple reason as to ease fitment of the belt and allow it to be tensioned correctly. The tool allows the cams to be locked and the TAPERED pulley then come off. The pulleys are then fitted fingertight so that they rotate when the cams are locked the same as a diesel.
If you do it without the tool the belt tension will Never be correct, thats the reason for the design.:rolleyes:

aprr32
05-03-2008, 07:21 AM
You don't need to take the pulleys of the cam to change a belt, I do them everyday and even though I have the bar I only use it if the pulleys come off to change the seals.