PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Kodiaq RS - who is buying one?

Lucas_R
23-04-2020, 04:48 PM
So who is buying one? Have seen quite a few ad's on the TV for it the past few weeks (complete with petrol V6 engine sound). Surprised that it's not being discussed on here at all.

I really like the seats and gauge cluster, but exterior still looks typical Skoda frumpy and I wont be trading my SQ5 in for one any time soon. Mixed reviews on the twin-turbo TDI engine, good power but very small window of peak torque - and not quick.

$70+k

Skoda Kodiaq RS 2020 Review - www.carsales.com.au (https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/skoda-kodiaq-rs-2020-review-123674/)

Price: $71,990 (drive-away), $65,990 (plus on-road costs)
Available: Now
Engine: 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel
Output: 176kW/500Nm
Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch automatic
Fuel: 6.7L/100km (ADR Combined), 8.3L/100km (as tested)
CO2: 163g/km (ADR Combined)
Safety rating: Five-star (ANCAP, 2017)

Sharkie
23-04-2020, 04:54 PM
What a waste of money ... rather buy a 162TSI Tiguan.

tigger73
24-04-2020, 06:59 AM
I’d be seriously considering a second hand Macanese S if I wanted a diesel sports SUV.

You have been blocked (https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-Macan-S-Diesel-95B-Auto-AWD-MY16/OAG-AD-18402408)

You can get a low km version with the 3.0 diesel for similar sorts of $.

Admittedly the Skoda is a bigger car but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucas_R
24-04-2020, 09:35 AM
What a waste of money ... rather buy a 162TSI Tiguan.

I’d be seriously considering a second hand Macan S if I wanted a diesel sports SUV.

You have been blocked (https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-Porsche-Macan-S-Diesel-95B-Auto-AWD-MY16/OAG-AD-18402408)

You can get a low km version with the 3.0 diesel for similar sorts of $.

Admittedly the Skoda is a bigger car but sometimes sacrifices must be made.

Agreed - just found it strange that it wasn't being discussed on here at all.

I dare say it's a car we wont see too often on the road - and then Skoda will stop offering it in 12-18 months time.

$70k is a lot of money for a brand like Skoda, which still does not have much of a name for itself in Australia.

zacdaman
26-04-2020, 02:08 PM
I've had mine since December. I like it. Enough power for a highway cruiser and have had no issues overtaking. Used market in NZ is trash and couldn't find anything similar that had the same combination of tech, practicality and driving dynamics for a similar price. 2018 Q7 210kw's are still over $90k and wasn't interested in the F15 X5 or aging W166 Merc GLE. The Kodiaq feels much lighter and agile compared to any of the above mentioned luxury SUV's. The 4cyl definitely dies out in the upper rev range compared to a V6 diesel, but the point of a diesel is to mainly use mid range torque anyways...

It's definitely a niche car, but I'm glad Skoda made it as I wasn't interested in the Tig Allspace with the same engine due to the 7 seats (in NZ you can order a 5 seater). Didn't like the interior and exterior compared to the Kodiaq.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/04/a1nnQ1b-1.jpg

brad
30-04-2020, 11:56 AM
Nope. I think Skoda are pricing themselves away from their core values.

souza13alex
19-10-2020, 06:56 PM
I found the following review: "I decided to take a test drive myself and went to my relatives in the country to see how the car behaves off the road. On the country road with unevenness of 5-10 cm the car seems to fly over the field, and when you look at the dashboard, the arrow has already passed for 100 km / h, and the speed as if stealing. Wipers on the windshield cope with the hurrah, and the side windows almost remain clean, which is very pleasing. The driver's seat is very comfortable, you can drive for a very long time and your back does not get tired at all. Of course, there is a disadvantage - it's small side mirrors, you can't get used to it for a long time."

markcurtis60
17-07-2021, 05:06 AM
thanks for this post, my problem has been fixed too.

Lucas_R
17-07-2021, 09:03 AM
Still havent seen a single one of these on the road in over a year. And I drive past my local Skoda dealer once a week and have never seen one in the yard either.

Bets on how long before this model is removed from the lineup?

souza13alex
26-07-2021, 06:32 PM
I've only seen a few cars in my city...

Lucas_R
07-03-2022, 08:30 AM
Nearly 2 years exactly since I created this post and I am yet to see a Kodiak vRS on the road (or even in a Skoda showroom - ive been to the Skoda dealership twice in the past 12 months helping family members look for a car). Must not have sold many at all.

dArK5HaD0w
07-03-2022, 08:56 AM
There's quite a few Kodiaq vRS driving around here on Canberra road.

Greg Roles
07-03-2022, 05:46 PM
I've seen two here on the Sunny Coast, what jumped out at me was very skinny factory mags for an RS!! I think at the price point you have a LOT of options.....and not sure who wants to spend that and still have a "cheaper" euro brand. I wouldn't.

Lucas_R
16-03-2022, 02:58 PM
Finally.........in the flesh. At a shared Mitsubishi/VW caryard in Newcastle today.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/03/c038013cbb85ba0c6307c52e05b9e462-1.jpg

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/03/6d46b52afe2abfcc3118c56263cad2cb-1.jpg

Greg Roles
26-01-2024, 06:53 AM
I did a lot of research on this engine as fitting one to the Yeti as a repower was a real option, and you get seduced by the bi turbo, water intercooler and short intercooler plumbing. Even the head porting has a seemingly better "plenum in the head" design, and it looks the berries. Go deeper and you find the tiny turbos, huge EGR volumes, terrible parallel head port arrangement, and fixed cam module. This engine looks "performance" from the outside, but dig into the detail and it's all about emissions and fuel economy, and is a huge departure from the former MK6 era EA288, which when it comes to VAG diesel 2.0's is the sweet spot and what I bought for a refresher engine.

Lucas_R
29-01-2024, 08:08 AM
I did a lot of research on this engine as fitting one to the Yeti as a repower was a real option, and you get seduced by the bi turbo, water intercooler and short intercooler plumbing. Even the head porting has a seemingly better "plenum in the head" design, and it looks the berries. Go deeper and you find the tiny turbos, huge EGR volumes, terrible parallel head port arrangement, and fixed cam module. This engine looks "performance" from the outside, but dig into the detail and it's all about emissions and fuel economy, and is a huge departure from the former MK6 era EA288, which when it comes to VAG diesel 2.0's is the sweet spot and what I bought for a refresher engine.

Yep - modern diesels are a nightmare. Our 2015 model Audi SQ5 is about as new of a diesel car as I would want. Anything after about 2017 is riddled with "yet another" emissions device which is complicated and expensive to fix and essentially designed to slowly choke the engine over time.

Ive seen a few videos on the Darkside Developments Youtube channel about these newer 2.0 bitdi's and even they say they are too complicated and hard to work on.

And modern petrol engines are so efficient now that I believe diesel engines in normal passenger cars are largely irrevent and I wonder how much longer they will be around for. Obviously a different scenario for trucks and larger 4wd's/utes etc - im talking normal passenger cars like hatchbacks/sedans and smallish SUV's.