PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement Australian Autoglass vs OEM quality

rave75
14-01-2020, 01:33 PM
I had an unfortunate windscreen crack couple days ago, but I have no excess on windscreen with Allianz fortunately. Obriens did the replacement but they used an aftermarket one from Australian Autoglass (AA) even though I can actually get a genuine one. Contacted Allianz which approved me to get it replaced again with OEM.

Not sure about the quality of AA (it is acoustic and tinted) vs OEM. Quick google search mentioned AA is decent and I should only be aware if I get XYG from Obriens.

I do noticed the adaptive cruise seems to behave slower. On assistance menu, you can see the car symbol in front of you. When a car moved to my lane, the car symbol does not appear as fast and also it doesn't pick up cars on my left & right lane like it used too.

Hillbilly
14-01-2020, 02:32 PM
Get a factory one and be sure

Umai Naa!!
14-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Always OEM if your insurance company allows it.

O'Briens put some cheap junk in my van that's all wavy. That's not taking into account the damage they caused doing the job, which they naturally denied.

Jimi
14-01-2020, 11:09 PM
Non OEM is rarely a perfect fit along the edges

ope126
15-01-2020, 07:27 AM
I had an unfortunate windscreen crack couple days ago, but I have no excess on windscreen with Allianz fortunately. Obriens did the replacement but they used an aftermarket one from Australian Autoglass (AA) even though I can actually get a genuine one. Contacted Allianz which approved me to get it replaced again with OEM.

Not sure about the quality of AA (it is acoustic and tinted) vs OEM. Quick google search mentioned AA is decent and I should only be aware if I get XYG from Obriens.

I do noticed the adaptive cruise seems to behave slower. On assistance menu, you can see the car symbol in front of you. When a car moved to my lane, the car symbol does not appear as fast and also it doesn't pick up cars on my left & right lane like it used too.

A lot of this could be down to the Camera Calibration post replacement, not the actual screen.
Was your Passat taken to VW to conduct this or did O'Briens do the calibration "in house"?

I would be interested to know if you have the Genuine VW Windscreen Part Number and/or the Part Number of the Australian Autoglass Screen.

I personally (if I ever had to have a replacement screen) would love to replace mine with a "Heated Front Climate Windscreen".
Not so much to activate the heated side of things, more so for the thin layer of electrically conductive silver inside the laminated glass. That thin layer of silver, while invisible to occupants, acts as a passive heat shield, reducing the amount of heat that enters the cabin when the sun is shining. Volkswagen believes it can reduce the interior temperature by 15 degrees more than traditional glass.

I had a similar windscreen on an Opel Insignia Select Sports Tourer that I owned back in 2012 (when Opel came to Australia).
It worked a treat!!!

yowie
06-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Great idea.
Is this Heated Front Climate windscreen available on all models as an option?
I'd like to add it to the MkV TDI's next screen, which is due because of some vinyl album lines appearing and general chipping with age.

Micky 32
07-02-2020, 09:48 AM
Last time i got a non oem windscreen my rain sensor worked awful afterwards.

Lucas_R
07-02-2020, 01:42 PM
Always OEM if your insurance company allows it.

O'Briens put some cheap junk in my van that's all wavy. That's not taking into account the damage they caused doing the job, which they naturally denied.

I had the exact same issue with an O'briens supplied windscreen a few years back with my Mk6 GTI. The windscreen they provided was wavy and you could see it, feel it and the wipers would jump. The new windscreen also leaked so i took it back and they replaced it thankfully (same brand glass but the new one was much better).