PDA

View Full Version : Vibration when accelerating into a turn from standstill

obsolete
14-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Hi all

Recently picked up a 2016 Wagon 206 and have noticed that when accelerating into a turn from standstill there is some kind of vibration occurring for a short period. You can hear it as well. Doesn't seem to happen when not turning or just a gentle turn so was thinking it might be something tyre related but perhaps someone who's a bit more mechanically minded might know.

Worst case it's something sinister but hoping that isn't the case...

Other than that, am loving the car and already thinking about the little things I can do to squeeze a bit more out.

Cheers

DV52
16-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Of course anything is possible and I'm guessing - but what you describe sounds like a front wheel bearing to me . If it happens when you turn left (or a gentle turn left) it's likely the bearing on the driver's side wheel - else it's the passenger side wheel if it happens with right turn (or gentle turn). To replace wheel bearings, normally you will need access to a hydraulic press (to extract the bearing).

But you should confirm my suspicion by a qualified mechanic - as I said I'm guessing

Don

brad
18-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Axle tramp?

traction control intervention?

obsolete
20-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Thanks for your input guys.

I did a bit more "troubleshooting" - just trying to narrow down the causes/circumstances.

It happens for both left and right turns and the more I listen/feel it the more it seems to be mechanical in nature. Only happens in first gear. I did try turning the traction control off and still happens. The suspicious sound/feeling comes on even with the slightest amount of acceleration.

I did a bit of reading and possibly the haldex controller? I tried finding something on Youtube to compare but didn't really find anything useful. There does seem to be quite a few causes for the sound though so seems like I get to begin my journey with VW maintenance/fault finding which doesn't fill me with the greatest confidence...