PDA

View Full Version : Question:Turbo Timer

TDI Dude
13-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Is anyone running an automatic turbo timing on their TDI Golf/Jetta? Or is anyone considering doing this?

gtimk5
14-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Its not all that neccesary on the Mk5s.
Cheers, Andrew :)

TDI Dude
14-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Its not all that neccesary on the Mk5s.
Cheers, Andrew :)

Thanks Andrew, was more a question out of curiosity if anyone had tried doing this or was running one. The thought kinda crossed my mind about doing it. If anyone else has heard of this being done let me know.

Cheers, Paul

STV4SYT
14-02-2008, 09:06 AM
I've driven a toyota bus with one, very strange experience i reckon. That aside, ive been driving Turbo Diesels for most of my life and just use the simple rule that i always drive it slow the last 4 or 5 k's home if i have been pushing it on a bit to give the turbo a chance to cool down. If i have been pushing it away from home and have to stop i let the engine run a bit when i pull over.

Bazzamon
14-02-2008, 09:23 AM
If you could ever get your turbo so hot!!!!!!! You would have to drive your car all day flat out to cause any problem to require such a devise. Trucks & heavily loaded vehicles may need one. If it worries you just let your engine idle for about a minute before turning it off. READ your owners manual...

TDI Dude
14-02-2008, 12:33 PM
If you could ever get your turbo so hot!!!!!!! You would have to drive your car all day flat out to cause any problem to require such a devise. Trucks & heavily loaded vehicles may need one. If it worries you just let your engine idle for about a minute before turning it off. READ your owners manual...

Thanks again guys for your replies :) And Bazzamon I fully intend to READ my owners manual as soon as I get it!!!! Just wondered if anyone had gone down this path of a turbo timer. :)

gldgti
15-02-2008, 06:47 AM

regardless of what the owners manual states, its not difficult to get your turbocharger hot - have you seen how small a VNT turbine is? tiny! they do crazy rpm.

not saying the owners manual is wrong - but if you modify your diesel to make it faster, theres no reason you couldnt get the turbo very hot indeed..

gregozedobe
15-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I've driven a toyota bus with one, very strange experience i reckon. That aside, ive been driving Turbo Diesels for most of my life and just use the simple rule that i always drive it slow the last 4 or 5 k's home if i have been pushing it on a bit to give the turbo a chance to cool down. If i have been pushing it away from home and have to stop i let the engine run a bit when i pull over.

x2

Also I don't like to leave my car in neutral when parked (which you have to do with a turbo timer).

mikinoz
16-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I think that in general turbo timers are unneccesary and have only briefly considered and then rejected it as an option for the following reasons;

If I am driving hard, I will warm down the engine before I stop
I don't want to mess with MKV's complex electrics
They are illegal in most places
I am not a ricer and have nothing to prove (jokes)

But you can install one, just unsure of the need to.