PDA

View Full Version : Front Rotors and Pads change at 80k kms???

Passerati
29-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Hey all,

Had my Pasta serviced yesterday, first 'big' service 80,000kms.

Ended up costing me $1065....

Then she tells me in 10,000k's I need to come back for next normal service as well as rotor and pad replacement in the front.

I do lots of highway driving for work so I am surprised that the rotors must be replaced as well, does this sound normal?

thanks

Hillbilly
29-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Depends whether you read the road ahead and lift your foot and coast up to a stoppage or like my friend whos driving limit is about 500mm past the end of the bonnet. He roars up to a blockage then mashes the brakes on and wonders why he goes through pads.

My B7 still had nearly 50% of pads left when I sold it at 43,000km

Lucas_R
29-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Common on Euro cars that the pads and disks/rotors wear out pretty evenly....hence the huge amount of brake dust emitted and stuck to your alloy wheels.

If you replace the disks/rotors and pads with aftermarket items (specifically ceramic pads) you will find they will not only last longer, dust far less, but next time the pads need replacing the rotors will still have plenty of life left in them.

brad
30-10-2019, 09:32 AM
Why next service 10,000km? It should be 15,000km.

Many people only get 40k from their brakes so you done OK and European rotors are made of very soft steel so they don't last and generally can't be machined.

Personally, I'd take of a wheel before the next service and check the pad thickness as workshops are very conservative in these things.

Newair
03-11-2019, 06:57 AM
Hi Passerati,

Just recently I changed the front pads for the first time at around 150,000k. There is a warning light that comes on when the pads get low too. Maybe wait for the earning then zip in & have them changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger73
03-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Why next service 10,000km? It should be 15,000km.

Many people only get 40k from their brakes so you done OK and European rotors are made of very soft steel so they don't last and generally can't be machined.

Personally, I'd take of a wheel before the next service and check the pad thickness as workshops are very conservative in these things.

100% agree with this that you're likely getting over-serviced. But changing brakes/rotors at 80,000km is certainly not unheard of. That's what I got out my Tiguan and I do a reasonable amount of country driving.

Generally it's a good idea to replace the rotors and pads at the same as you won't get 2 x pad changes per rotor once you machine it for new pads. Even though there may be some meat left in the rotor, the labour cost to do it twice is more than what you save in changing the discs early.

Transporter
03-11-2019, 03:18 PM
The genuine brake discs can’t be machined, cause they’d be undersized or Best just on the scrap limit. Fit ATE Ceramics and most likely won’t have to change pads again.

h100vw
04-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Never buy an RS3 I have seen them do a front set of brakes by 25k. Double the OPs quote. Not easy to get in the aftermarket either.