PDA

View Full Version : Golf 8 Premiere

Transporter
25-10-2019, 03:57 PM
So many engine options, but knowing VW Australia we get fraction of them. :(

https://youtu.be/rDC6qm8s1zc

Sydneykid
28-10-2019, 09:21 AM
New Volkswagen Golf Mk8 revealed - motoring.com.au (https://www.motoring.com.au/new-volkswagen-golf-mk8-revealed-121263/)

Despite all the powertrain advances for Europe’s Golf 8, Volkswagen Australia has confirmed the version to be launched Down Under in late 2020 will continue with a 110kW/250Nm 1.4-litre turbo-petrol 110TSI engine.

Among its new technologies will be wireless Apple CarPlay and the availability of a head-up display and new 10-inch infotainment touch-screen.

The new Volkswagen Golf GTI is likely to be launched alongside mainstream versions of the new Golf 8 here from late next year, but from launch it too will be limited to a carryover engine for Australia — in this case the same 180kW/370Nm 2.0-litre turbo four that powers the current Golf 7.5.

After 6 x VW's in the family (5 x Golf's and 1 x Polo) this basically kills off the plans to replace 2 of them next year with MK8's. There simply isn't enough advancement in them to be attractive. The "constantly connected" is a pipe dream for Australia, I can barely maintain a mobile conversation for the 25 k's drive to work without drop outs. And it's not going to get any better with microwave 5G.

Started looking at alternatives over the weekend, the Volvo S60 RDesign is the current preference.

Cheers
Gary

Jondalar
28-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Caradvice and Carsguide said no new powerplants at all for Australia, so straight carry over of what we have now it would seem. I prefer the looks of the 7.5 so why wait for the 8? My wife's Golf 7 is due for replacement, we were thinking of waiting for the Golf 8 but now she's starting to thing of hybrid or PHEV because as she said, the next car can't use more fuel than the current (which is TDI and she regularly gets very low 4's)

donweather
24-12-2019, 08:13 AM
Anyone know when the Mk 8 will be available in Oz?

Rooboy
24-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Anyone know when the Mk 8 will be available in Oz?

not until late next year

donweather
26-12-2019, 06:57 AM
Thanks

genebaby
22-06-2020, 07:19 PM
The new Golf is getting crappier and crappier in Australia.

Forget the engines overseas, we knew they were giving us the same engine and now we are getting a regular 8 speed torque converter automatic, which will be the Aussie combo.

Markets that need to meet more stringent emmision tatgets will get the better engines and gearboxes.

The "new" Karoq" has been downgraded with this combo, it used to actually have the 1.5 engine, but not anymore.

Ozsko
22-06-2020, 09:41 PM
VW like all manufacturers are constrained by the fuel in this country and the government point blank refuse to do anything about it. Funny thing about the change to a TC auto as I predicted this would happen about 6 months ago for a whole lot of reasons and I think the DSG will be quitely dropped as new models come into production. Actually a TC auto with a very low stall clutch is a damned nice thing to drive and there is very little performance loss if any at all. Most converters lock up around 1500 RPM and provide far smoother take off from stand still than any DSG.

Transporter
23-06-2020, 07:29 AM
It’s VW Australia thing. They want to make job of ordering as simple and easy as possible.
No engine choices and very limited colour options.
Soon they will start losing customers who want the diesel option, as the other German carmakers offer diesel and BMW X3 might be what I’d replace our 2010 Tiguan TDI with, when that time comes.
....and they will have to wait 10+ years for me to step in their showrooms again. :?

The_Hawk
23-06-2020, 12:37 PM
While I sort of get limiting engines and options for support reasons in a relatively small market, but I never understand why colours are limited. I get that it might come with a 3 month+ wait, hell even a special *custom colour* fee to pick other things I think people would pay.

Sharkie
23-06-2020, 01:13 PM
If they make it in the supplying factory, we should be able to order it. In this day and age, an archaic method of supply is not going to get them any more customers. They will lose existing customers by the droves who will go elsewhere.

I'm happy to pay and to wait till my order can be delivered. Unless I can order a manual Mk8 Golf R I will buy from a different brand in 18 months time when my R comes off lease. (A45S is looking mighty tasty:cool:)

BTW, the TC auto is a good thing in my opinion too .... it removes 1 guaranteed timebomb from the equation :P

gh172
24-06-2020, 11:07 AM
This situation with Volkswagen Australia has me confused and annoyed! They claim that the new 1.5tsi/DCT gearbox combination won't make it here because of our poor fuel quality due to outdated fuel emission regulations, yet the Skoda Scala and Audi A1 is available for sale in Australia right now with that very engine/gearbox combination! Don't bullsh#t us Volkswagen!!! It also annoys me that the motoring media here in Australia haven't addressed this obvious fact!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Fire 76
24-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Disappointing!
Glad I settled on a 2020 Golf R.
Hopefully in 5 years they will have the line up sorted.