PDA

View Full Version : Seat Ibiza 1995 Gearbox Selector Shaft Seal Repair

mdbrisbane
12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi i have been working on replacing a seal on the selector shaft for a few hours tonight, I was assured it was easy, But of course its never as easy as its made out to be.
I got the selector shaft seal mailed in today from Austral motors (from what i gather they are the only place that supplies seat parts)

Anyway, I am trying to find the right gearbox fluid, I heard from one person that its the same oil as the rest of the car, Then i heard contradicting advice saying that the gear box oil was seperate, and a much thicker viscosity and would basically destroy the gear box if i used 10w-50.

It seems impossible to find a manual, Even the Brisbane libraries do not have a single issue of haynes manuals etc for the seat ibiza

Golf Loon
12-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi
What Ibiza do you have, i`m assuming its a manual?

You dont use motor oil, you use Manual Transmision such as VMX80 from Repco or somewhere similar.

By the way, who are Austral motors, I know all the suppliers for SEAT parts, there are not many and I have never heard of em.

If you need any parts give us a yell on here we are friendly.

For SEAT specific parts, feel free to call me at work Camden GTI 0423 051737. I have contacts with the UK dealers and can get anything.

mdbrisbane
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Hey matt, Its a late 94' Ibiza CLX 1.4 Manual. (ABD)
Remember me? I Bought the right hand tail light last week.
Thanks for the info!

The car also needs what i think is the wheel bearings, with the car cruising the steering wheel is shaking left to right to left etc.. it makes for a rough ride.

I think i need to replace the sump gasket, the rocker cover/head gasket. as i was assured the selector shaft seal was the source of the oil leak, but now i know the oil is seperate to the manual trans, and the oil level is still going down. I realise that the oil is also leaking. their was also a leak where the oil filter attached to the motor, that should have stopped now as i have replaced the filter (with a filter from super cheap, that is half the length of the old one)

Austral motors is a VW supplier in Brisbane.
PH 3364 1480
34 Evelyn ST Newstead,
They also supply parts for many other european parts... Honda VW Seat Rover MG etc

They are the company (I assume they also own a car yard or few) that the original owner bought the car i now own from.
the seal for the gearbox cost $14.90
(a bit steep i thought) but thats just my opinion

mdbrisbane
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Has anyone had to replace the seal? is their a specific way or tool used to get the seal out, Am i going to have to take it in somewhere so they can knock it out from the inside?
All i seem to be doing is destroying the seal slowly, now i have hit metal and trying to still pull it out isnt getting me very far..
any help will be greatly appreciated

h100vw
12-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Get the manual for a MK2 or MK3 Golf. Much of the mechanicals are identical to the Ibiza.

Gavin

mdbrisbane
14-02-2008, 01:13 PM
So i have been trying to remove that bloody seal for a few days now, The latest tip i got was to remove the selector shaft, (Its easy just pop it out with a pair of vice grips and a hammer they said)
Sounds easy, well that didnt work so l i removed the 24MM bolt with a bearing on the end of it, hoping that would help, still as stubborn as it was before.
If all else fails i will have to try using a pen torch to heat the locktite and remove it with the shaft still in place.
Has anyone worked on one of these gear boxes before or do they just happen to have one sitting around in their garage? if only i had a pair of XRAY glasses so i could see how it is attached, Im hoping i dont have to tow the car to a mechanics. but it seems thats the way its heading

Golf Loon
14-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I reckon dont heat the gearbox up with oxy.
Which seal do you mean?
Give us more info and I`ll look at a box or a manual at work tomorrow.

mdbrisbane
14-02-2008, 10:01 PM
its the selector shaft seal p/n 085 301 227
i think i will have to get a tow to the mechanics.. if i can find one that will do it. i need it done tomorrow or my girlfriend and i arent going away for my birthday sunday/monday
the gearbox has to be dismantled, the selector shaft cant come out and their is not enough clearance if it could,
one of those "gotta pay someone else to do it" situations

Jmac
15-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Mate here is one for you drill a small hole in the seal and put a self tapper in it even 2 but not too far in mate. Then you have something to grab mate , works for me!!
CHeers

Jmac
15-02-2008, 06:02 PM
This also applies to rear mains and front crank and cam seals if you are stuck. Understand that you dont drill too far just enough to hole the seal and then screw small self tappers in and of course not too far. then pull the buggers.Cheers

mdbrisbane
16-02-2008, 06:25 AM
hey thanks
i had to take it into a workshop to get it fixed on friday, turned out the seal wasnt the usual nylon coated one, it was almost totally made of steel, a tough bugger to get out, apparently the $14.80 seal i had was a $4.20 seal that is common among all VW's combi/golf/polo etc. well thats what the mechanic said...
too late now aye.. MY birthday is on monday and i had to get the car fixed before my girlfriend and i head off to the sunshine coast sunday night.

thanks for your help