PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Passat such a lemon.....................

WogsRus
28-08-2019, 10:21 AM
Ok let me start by saying over all, its a great car, but a lemon at the same time.

We brought a brand new, MY18.5 Passat Alltrack, with the 7sp DSG gearbox.

First 5K kilometers, no issue.

Then the interior started to rattle squeak and creak like a 100 year old man, back to VW to rectify as much as they could, seamed OK for a whole but over the next 25k it just got worse. I have managed to stop most of the interior creaks by the liberal use of PTFE spray between all the plastic panels etc. However the doors, the dam things just SUCK balls, vibrate at different speeds, road etc. I have not been able to fix these.

The suspension bushes have had to be fixed as they squeak on all road conditions, was told they needed to be re-lubricated.

Front drive shafts needs to be greased due to the know dry spline issue on all VWs.

The door rubbers, no matter what you use and how you apply it, squeek after about two weeks.

Rear hatch, squeeks when you go in and out of driveways, no matter what you do with it, how you lubricate it, how its adjusted.

Not there is oil leaking at the back of the turbo.

I mean WTF VW.

We also have a Touareg and that thing is bullet proof.

Speaking to the services adviser, a new guy who seams to be a bit more honest, stated that the B8 passat has had noting but interior and fit finish issues since new and its one of their most complained about car.

Has anyone had similar issue.

Thanks

doc_777
28-08-2019, 12:31 PM
We’ve got two B8’s - guessing we must be lucky with ours.

Hillbilly
28-08-2019, 04:12 PM
Ok let me start by saying over all, its a great car, but a lemon at the same time.

Then the interior started to rattle squeak and creak like a 100 year old man, back to VW to rectify as much as they could, seamed OK for a whole but over the next 25k it just got worse. I have managed to stop most of the interior creaks by the liberal use of PTFE spray between all the plastic panels etc. However the doors, the dam things just SUCK balls, vibrate at different speeds, road etc. I have not been able to fix these.

The suspension bushes have had to be fixed as they squeak on all road conditions, was told they needed to be re-lubricated.

Front drive shafts needs to be greased due to the know dry spline issue on all VWs.

The door rubbers, no matter what you use and how you apply it, squeek after about two weeks.

Rear hatch, squeeks when you go in and out of driveways, no matter what you do with it, how you lubricate it, how its adjusted.

I mean WTF VW.

Speaking to the services adviser, a new guy who seams to be a bit more honest, stated that the B8 passat has had noting but interior and fit finish issues since new and its one of their most complained about car.

Thanks

Dont take it off the tar seal I had an ordinary B7 and it creaked going over a rough driveway but nowhere else

Jondalar
29-08-2019, 03:14 PM
My Wolfy has done 35k over 17 mths and the only rattle I get is when my sunglasses vibrate in the holder (they really should've lined that with something soft). Other than that and it has felt as solid as a rock since new with build quality equal to the best I've ever had.

Transporter
29-08-2019, 07:14 PM
We have 7 Vdubs in family and nobody complains, no squeaks or rattles in our cars. :?

zzc2010
31-08-2019, 04:15 AM

I mean WTF VW.

Thanks

Rattles quite a lot as Australian roads are so bad.

The only way to get rid of it was to take the technician for a test drive and show him where it was and how it happened.

Then the dealer replaced the panels or parts. Only the new parts and refit would solve the issues. Lubricant did not do anything or wouldn't last long.

I still have a boot cover not retracting into half everytime I open the boot. I am planning to ask the dealer to replace the cover and the mechanisms some day.

Had sunroof rattles and the dealer did a job on it. It still rattles sometimes but endurable.

Finger crossed.

It is a German Toyota not a Japanese Lexus tho.

WogsRus
03-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Been there done that, the issue we have is that the dealer really needs to drive the car for a week to hear all the rattles as they happen on different roads, different temperatures etc.

rave75
20-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Tell me about it, my sunroof is still making noise, been to dealer 9 times now, about to be 10.

Just_Westy
10-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Wow done 33k in mine and no issues whatsoever. I can't imagine why you have all the interior noises as mine feels quiote solid and occaisionaly my phone charger cable bumps against the console and makes a noise but thats it.

rave75
10-12-2019, 06:32 PM
Wow done 33k in mine and no issues whatsoever. I can't imagine why you have all the interior noises as mine feels quiote solid and occaisionaly my phone charger cable bumps against the console and makes a noise but thats it.

Well your dry clutch might need to be replaced soon...

Jimi
10-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Alltrack has a wet clutch

Just_Westy
12-12-2019, 12:50 AM
Well your dry clutch might need to be replaced soon...

It's a wet clutch and i'm not expecting any driveline issues with it.

Workmate has a 10 yr old GTI with over 200k's on it and he's only done 1 clutch and a waterpump and few other issues. really quite impressive considering he's a young bloke who gives his car a hard time.