PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust options!

Jarred
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
G'day all.

I'm getting my exhaust made up on wednesday. 2 inch, with a straight through muffler, and hot dog (resonator). I Might get them to do a bit of an upturn on the tip.

So my questions are:

how will the hot dog effect the performance and sound? Do I really need one? or can I save a few quid there? (which is what I like doing :D)

and the will the tip (upturn, downturn etc) change the sound or just the volume??

so far I'm looking at $300-$330 for this set up, which seems alright, but just a bit more than I was hoping for... :?

GoLfMan
11-02-2008, 03:46 PM
the tip wont change the sound, and the hot dog will make your exhaust quiter so i've been told.
do better do the single side exit upturn we were talking about the other day! :D

DubSteve
11-02-2008, 03:57 PM
the tip wont change the sound, and the hot dog will make your exhaust quiter so i've been told.
do better do the single side exit upturn we were talking about the other day! :D

I agree with GolfMan side exit will look freakin hot!

As for the hotdog, it makes the car quieter, straight pipe without a hotdog is super loud but super cool.

FknDubbin
11-02-2008, 04:20 PM
ADR's say that an exhaust must be at least 40cm behind the last opening side door or window. But who gives a f**k about ADR's??!?!?!

DubSteve
11-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Its a 2 door Golf :D

Jarred
11-02-2008, 06:06 PM
It's going on my daily, so I don't want it to be too loud, and besides I like some crazy induction an engine noise before all the ricer exhaust milo tinsss..

Length's no worry, I want to have a tip like this on it:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/golf66-1.jpg

or this:

actually I can't fins this pic. but it's basically the same as the one above

GoLfMan
11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
post the pick of that golf thats in my german VW mag getting sidways, thats the best exhaust tip to have!

ontarv
11-02-2008, 06:30 PM
i've got a 2 1/4 with a 2 1/2 sports box
was a bit too loud for the neigbours
I put in hot dog , made it a bit quieter and gives it a deeper note
i'd deffinetly put one in because the space at the rear of the car
where you fit the muffler is'nt that big so you can't have a big muffler
thus too much noise
mine is still loud , put it this way people always look
2 inch with hot dog and sports muffler will sound very nice!!!!

twin eng, twin turbs
11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Your going with the right size if your daily driver dosn't have major mods. 2" will give the best power and torque through out the rev range. If the exhaust shop can do it get mandrel bends as they flow far better than press bends and when an average sport system is bent up for a golf they crush the pipe down over the rear trailing arm creating a restriction. Have a look through your mufflers and check that what your getting is just perforated tubing with no fins or baffles in the way. Go for glass pack mufflers to as they are better at reducing annoying droning noise at some rpms. If you get a tip with perforated tubing inside and stainless steel wool packing it will give a better note when your right up it! ;)

Peter Jones
11-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I've been told that the purpose of the hot dog is to remove the droning effect that can happen when highway cruising at constant speed. It's a pretty annoying thing when it happens, especially if you're planning on cruising to any interstate shows.

You could get your exhaust made without it and get one fitted later on if it was a problem.

My 924 had a straight through exhaust when I got it. It took about a week to get sick of the drone. The noise under acceleration was awesome though:D.

I don't think the purpose of the hot dog is to be a muffler, it's more to cancel out resonance so I'm not sure that a hot-dog would make the car any quieter or louder. (Although you can buy hot dog mufflers too - just to make things more confusing).

Here's an idea how about a single hot-dog muffler into a side pipe? you may not get the droning effect because the exhaust is much shorter.

A side pipe also eliminates that tight bend over the back suspension.

I'd be a little concerned with ground clearance with a side pipe because there's no tunnel to tuck it up into. Maybe exit the pipe on the drivers side so the noise goes into traffic rather than the footpath and you can still climb kerbs on the passenger side if you need to park on a nature strip.

Pete

GoLfMan
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
i think y'all got the wrong idea about the side exit, althought it would be cool!
what i meant to say is the single tip is upturned and to the left out of the stock possi!

Jarred
11-02-2008, 09:33 PM
yea, your right there josh. side exit wasn't on the cards. See the pic, that's what I'm going for...

hgonops
11-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey Jarred

I've got a 2.0l with a 2inch exhaust and a hot dog. Sounds good when it has warmed up. Sounds even better when you are gearing down.
The exhaust guy reckons I got an extra 8kw. He also put a relatively quieter muffler because when I first fitted the exhaust the muffler was a pretty loud one and the drone effect was very annoying.
I work near the Eastern suburbs, so if you wanna hear it or see it Id be more than happy to show you. (PM me first)

Cheers
Haz:)

Preen59
18-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Your going with the right size if your daily driver dosn't have major mods. 2" will give the best power and torque through out the rev range. If the exhaust shop can do it get mandrel bends as they flow far better than press bends and when an average sport system is bent up for a golf they crush the pipe down over the rear trailing arm creating a restriction. Have a look through your mufflers and check that what your getting is just perforated tubing with no fins or baffles in the way. Go for glass pack mufflers to as they are better at reducing annoying droning noise at some rpms. If you get a tip with perforated tubing inside and stainless steel wool packing it will give a better note when your right up it! ;)

Good advice. Marty made the exhaust on my car when he owned it. and it sounds mean. Very deep.

Loud though. Like sets off car alarms loud. :cool: