PDA

View Full Version : i think my steering rack is broken

DVR68U
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
hey guys after my weekend blast down to vic, i got to about 20ks from my house and slowed down to 60 and the steering started to get a killer wobble, i slowed down and checked it and i could find anything obvious, drove again and it does it up to 60ks then it stops once above that speed. but comes back when you slow down again. the next day i jaked up the car and the wheel bearings seem tight as do the wheels and the subframe. when i wiggle the wheel on the horozontal axis it seems there is abit on free play in the steering rack. i know that they can have racks wear out . does this sound like a typical case ? the tie rods dont seem to be the problem. any help would be great as ive got no cars to drive :(
cheers brenton

Rebuild
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
That's the genuine VW speed limiter for suburban areas kicking in :)

Just a thought,I had similar on a Mk1 Golf before one of the CV's let go

h100vw
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah might be driveshaft CV related. I haven't heard of the tie rods coming out of the rack.

The worst that I have seen is mega bad leaks.

Sure you've not lost a big balance weight?

Have you tried it on different roads, might be tarmac related? Like when you think a bearing has gone but it's just that you drove onto some different tarmac and the road noise changes.

Gavin

Jmac
10-02-2008, 02:19 PM
The steering arm knuckles are bad for weariing on them. Had 1 wind out on a NSW ambulance. You buy the arms complete mate ive posted the part numbers on here before, let me check them again for you. ill post the numbers later. They are very common on T4.
CHeers

DVR68U
11-02-2008, 07:15 PM
yeah its not tarmac related, ive driven on different types same prob, could be a wheel weight but wouldnt that get worst with increased speed? cv joints i dont notice any noises forward or reverse. when the van is jacked up there is play in the steering but the tierods seem to be tight, and the movement it back in the rack ?
cheers brenton

Jmac
11-02-2008, 07:37 PM
The play you will find is in the knuckles right at the rack, get someone to rock the steering and feel inside the bellows. They are very common for play there mate.
See how you go
I dont doubt that the rack might have play too but just check them knuckles.
Cheers mate. swap your front wheels with the back too and see if it gets better that would rule ot your wheel balance mate
CHeers

DVR68U
11-02-2008, 07:58 PM
alrite so how do you fix the play at the knuckles ? replace the arms is it a hard job, ive changed the whole subframe already :( not looking forward to taking it out again can they be replaced with the rack in the subframe still ?
cheers brenton

Jmac
11-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes they can champ. A 38mm crows foot is the ticket. I have used stilsons in the past too. But to answer the question yes you can no worries.,done heaps probably done 50 % of the NSW ambulances.
CHeers

Golf Loon
11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I randomly scored some new genuine knuckles the other day too man, or rip the ones out of your scrap rack you have up there.

DVR68U
11-02-2008, 08:49 PM
nice finally some good news in relation to my van haha.
so they can be changed, now i just have to have a look and get info on how to do it. so really i should change the tierods aswell while im at it.
cheers guys i was on a bit of a downer again with the van lol :)
cheers brenton

Jmac
11-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Be on here tomorrow and ill post it step by step. Tie rod complete with knuckles mate.
Cheers

DVR68U
11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
thanks mate you have been a great help thru out all my van trials lol
cheers brenton

DVR68U
11-02-2008, 11:20 PM
also is it safe to drive if that is the problem ? ive already had a lower control arm fail, its not fun and the van is to big to tow home lol. jimmy are the parts from a manual rack the same as a power steering rack as ive got a old manual rack kicking around ? and what do the new arms normally cost ?
cheers brenton

DVR68U
14-02-2008, 09:24 AM
hey guys problem sloved, always check your wheel weights ;) figured that out after putting on new rack ends lol. wheels weights can dramatically wobble the steering , even at low speed. I was experencing massive wobble in the steering.
cheers brenton