PDA

View Full Version : HELP-a6 2.8l

gpk_gti
10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
hey guys,

my best mate owns a a6 2.8l 99 mod,fwd.. seriously lux car but its always had issues.always eatting CV's,eatting pads and discs,always something to do with the suspension,brakes joints etc.think its had a big front end and wasnt repaired correctly.

but my question is this.

he had it parked all week with the front end higher than the rear.it rained ALOT at his place this week.opened the car yesterday and the drivers side front floor was wet,but the backseat rear was flooded.he went to drive it and transmission lights were all lit up on the dash and it would not accelerate more than a few kph. sounds like transmission limp mode??? could this limp mode be related to water getting into the transmission ECU?? is it under the drivers seat???

any help would be great guys!!!:)

h100vw
10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Yeah, it doesn't sound happy mate.

Get the ECU out and if you have the tools, open it up and stick it in the sun to dry out or use a hair drier on it. Don't power it up again, until it's well dried out.

I would have a go at drying out the plugs too, if they have been immersed.

Gavin

Jmac
10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Second that one!!!!!!!!!!! When all the light on the dash are lit it generally means the ECU is in limp and/ or U/S. Does it have Tip or just normal Auto??? Reason i ask is that i have that wreck here and it has a 5hp ZF box in it. Check the part number if you are stuck.
CHeers

99gti
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Some distilled water is good to wash away any impurities (distilled water doesn't conduct electricity so it's a safe to stop coroding of any components).

gpk_gti
10-02-2008, 03:11 PM
the reason im asking is.....

if the ECU or control unit for GB is under the drivers seat,then its because of the water.. if this is true,then he will claim insurance as Ive heard that this will cost a bomb to repair.....

the car is worth about 15k max... its not worth spending 6k fixing it.if he can claim insurance,he will then ditch it asap.

Jmac
10-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Mate it is under the carpet drivers side in a plastic box, but this does little to keep the water out. My guess woud be that if it has water in it and he has attempted to drive it it most likely going to short the ecu.
CHeers

gpk_gti
10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
thanks mate,thats what i needed to know!!!

:cool: