PDA

View Full Version : Battery replaced under warranty and....

206Harvard
06-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Arrived home today after a few weeks overseas to find my battery pretty much dead.

I rang VW Assist and told them my story and within 40 mins the tech arrived, inspected and advised that the battery would need to be replaced.
He checked the build date and said you're still in warranty so I'll replace it no charge.

He then said that the alternators on these (and some Audis)are also prone to underperforming and he checked that too, 13.3v which he said does not meet spec and wrote a report to take to a dealer for a warranty claim!

Naturally the dealer wants to test before replacement and it's booked in next week for a check, they didn't bat an eyelid when they read the tech's report.

Mine is a september 2016 build so it only has one month left on its warranty, let's see what happens next week.

zzc2010
06-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Arrived home today after a few weeks overseas to find my battery pretty much dead.

I rang VW Assist and told them my story and within 40 mins the tech arrived, inspected and advised that the battery would need to be replaced.
He checked the build date and said you're still in warranty so I'll replace it no charge.

He then said that the alternators on these (and some Audis)are also prone to underperforming and he checked that too, 13.3v which he said does not meet spec and wrote a report to take to a dealer for a warranty claim!

Naturally the dealer wants to test before replacement and it's booked in next week for a check, they didn't bat an eyelid when they read the tech's report.

Mine is a september 2016 build so it only has one month left on its warranty, let's see what happens next week.

Lucky you. I remember I paid nearly $500 for a dead battery when I had my Golf.

Dealer told me it’s not free and those auto start batteries only last about 2 years.

Also, I agree with your technician the alternators are not great. My Passat quite often disables the auto start due to high power consumptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ope126
06-08-2019, 08:16 PM

Glad all is getting fixed.

Just for your info, although it may be a Sept 2016 Build, it will most likely be a December 2016 onward Compliance.
Also, the warranty actually starts wen the vehicle is first registered.
So you might actually find you have another 6mths or so of warranty remaining!

Build Date: Sept 2016 (built in the factory)
Compliance Date: ??? (Arrived in Australia and Complied to meet Australian Standards)
First Registered Date: ??? (warranty start date)

Let us know how you go!

Hillbilly
06-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Was the car locked while you were away.
Reaso I ask is that if not its sitting there like a computer in sleep mode.

Will they wake me up or not rinse and repeat endlessly which eventually runs the battery flat.

Mine lasted 7 weeks after a trip when car was 2 years old but after 4 years an a 9 week trip it was dead flat. First time car wasnt locked second time it was but battery was getting shot by then anyway New one was $435 from dealer.

206Harvard
12-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Not surprisingly they found nothing wrong.

Hillbilly
12-08-2019, 01:16 PM

So was it replaced or not.

Transporter
12-08-2019, 04:09 PM

Obviously the road tech guy was wrong then.
How many weeks is few weeks? Also remember that the short trips will affect (undercharge) the battery and if you’ve parked the car for long period of time, you may have a flat battery and there could be absolutely nothing wrong with the battery or the car.

Jondalar
12-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Lucky you. I remember I paid nearly $500 for a dead battery when I had my Golf.

Dealer told me it’s not free and those auto start batteries only last about 2 years.

Also, I agree with your technician the alternators are not great. My Passat quite often disables the auto start due to high power consumptions.

My wife has had her Mk7 Golf battery replaced twice for free, first was when the car was 18 mths old, second was when the replacement battery was about 2.5 years old. The batteries have a 3 year warranty on the Bluemotion cars...

206Harvard
12-08-2019, 08:30 PM
No they didnt replace it.
I wasn't that concerned that they didnt but now at least it's on record that it was looked at as a result of a VW Assist call out.
The tech measured 13.3, the dealer measured 13.5 which apparently is a pass.

zzc2010
31-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Had a flat battery today and called VW assist.

The technician came in and replaced the battery which is not a stock VW EFB but a Delkor AGM battery.

Which one is yours?

Not sure how long the battery warranty is, the car is under warranty so he replaced it for free.

Do I need to go back to dealer to check the battery and coding again?

Thanks.

206Harvard
31-08-2019, 01:22 PM
Just had a look, it's a Delkor, the tech said it had a three year warranty through VW assist.
All my individual settings were retained as if the battery had never been disconnected.