PDA

View Full Version : SAT NAV Maps

marcuskmt
30-06-2019, 05:27 PM
There is a new maps update for the Polo.

You can get it at the link at the bottom.

I was hoping to get a back up SD card to put the maps on so that I can keep the original as a back up.

I cant seem to find a SD card that works.

According to the VW site, you need a SD-CDA card. I believe that CDA is the brand - does anyone know where to get these from?

The cards should be formatted to fat-32 with 4096 cluster size.

Volkswagen Map & Softwareupdates (https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/?car=a0cdf9ec-92a4-4a88-b68c-2b2c92c8fa29&navi=f7d60bb5-e4c7-4f15-a629-ed994e464a9f)

Hillbilly
30-06-2019, 09:11 PM
Buy a a 16gb card at Office Works It will be formatted as FAT32 and make sure its a Class 10 Never heard about CDA

Just buy this SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC Memory Card | Officeworks (https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/sandisk-16gb-ultra-sdhc-memory-card-br190829)

marcuskmt
30-06-2019, 10:45 PM
Buy a a 16gb card at Office Works It will be formatted as FAT32 and make sure its a Class 10 Never heard about CDA

Just buy this SanDisk 16GB Ultra SDHC Memory Card | Officeworks (https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/sandisk-16gb-ultra-sdhc-memory-card-br190829)

That's the exact one that I am using.

Formatted FAT32 and 4960 clusters.

I copied the Map folder into the root directory of that SD card.

It didnt work.

Hillbilly
01-07-2019, 07:58 AM
That's the exact one that I am using.

Formatted FAT32 and 4960 clusters.

I copied the Map folder into the root directory of that SD card.

It didnt work.

Your card just needs to be formatted with the default Which is FAT32 and 4096 BYTES NOT CLUSTERS

Put it in a PC r/click on drive letter /format hit enter

It should say File System Fat 32

Allocation unit size 4096 BYTES

If it didnt work what is the exact wording of the error you are getting and what is in the root directory of the card

Some units require you to use a VW supplied card Do you need this or not?????

Hillbilly
01-07-2019, 08:02 AM
You are confusing me as you also have a very similar conversation going in the Tiguan thread .

So do you have two cars with different units requiring different map versions or what??????

marcuskmt
01-07-2019, 10:05 AM
You are confusing me as you also have a very similar conversation going in the Tiguan thread .

So do you have two cars with different units requiring different map versions or what??????

That is correct. I have a Tiguan 2017 and Polo 2019.

The Polo stores all it's maps data on a SD card.

From what I've seen, only the original SD card works. I cant seem to find a SD card I can copy over the data to and get it to work.

This is the same with the new maps I downloaded. It doesnt work on the 16GB fat32 Sandisk that I have.

Hillbilly
01-07-2019, 10:20 AM
That is correct. I have a Tiguan 2017 and Polo 2019.

The Polo stores all it's maps data on a SD card.

From what I've seen, only the original SD card works. I cant seem to find a SD card I can copy over the data to and get it to work.

This is the same with the new maps I downloaded. It doesnt work on the 16GB fat32 Sandisk that I have.

Thats right it wont as the VW card seems to have a hidden partition that has some unreadable encrytion in it so you cant copy it or use a different card that hasnt got it.

You have to load an upgraded map onto the original card it seems

Mazda runs a similar system as I found out when I accidentally formatted a card and ruined it and it cost me $245 for a new one

atlanta
28-07-2019, 07:18 PM
I would use SD card clone software as per this link to produce an exact copy of the VW SD card, then download the new maps and overwrite the map file on the cloned SD card. This should preserve any hidden sectors and not compromise your original SD card

The Best Free SD Card Clone Software: Cloning SD card easily (https://www.disk-partition.com/clone/free-sd-card-clone-software-4125.html)

maxrob200
28-08-2019, 03:45 PM
Tried the cloning software and set it to clone all bytes etc. Did not work. Cloned SD card nav data would not display on the media unit. I used a 32 gb card, would you know what size card needs to be used?

Hillbilly
28-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Tried the cloning software and set it to clone all bytes etc. Did not work. Cloned SD card nav data would not display on the media unit. I used a 32 gb card, would you know what size card needs to be used?

For the Polo use the VW card that comes with it and use the VW discover Care program to download it and follow the instruction for using a VW card

The cards obviously have unreadable hidden data on them to stop them being copied..

As I said Mazda cards have similar The Tiguan just accepts any card and uploads the maps from it into the Nav

The Polo is different altogether

maxrob200
28-08-2019, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info about the Polo's sd card system