PDA

View Full Version : Passat R (MY18) DSG minor issues

sinstr
16-06-2019, 01:38 PM
Hey all,

I have tried searching this but haven't come across any info and wanted some advice and to hear if others experience these issues before getting checked out.

As per title I have a MY18 Passat R and I drive the car in manual mode most of the time. When going at slower speeds (around 20kmph) if I go from second gear back to first gear there is often a massive delay in the engagement of the gear (1-2 seconds) which I have found can be dangerous if there is on coming traffic for example.

Can anyone else confirm if they are having these issues. Should I be getting this checked under warranty at a dealership.

Appreciate any input or others experiences.

Cheers!

zzc2010
16-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Hey all,

I have tried searching this but haven't come across any info and wanted some advice and to hear if others experience these issues before getting checked out.

As per title I have a MY18 Passat R and I drive the car in manual mode most of the time. When going at slower speeds (around 20kmph) if I go from second gear back to first gear there is often a massive delay in the engagement of the gear (1-2 seconds) which I have found can be dangerous if there is on coming traffic for example.

Can anyone else confirm if they are having these issues. Should I be getting this checked under warranty at a dealership.

Appreciate any input or others experiences.

Cheers!

You should use 1st gear after take off. It’s DSG first gear protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kachingg
16-06-2019, 02:15 PM
You should use 1st gear after take off. It’s DSG first gear protection.

Yep 1st gear normal only will engage at a standstill so its a delay to match the speed your going so no damage happens

sinstr
16-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. It threw me off a bit as sometimes it has the delay and other times it works perfectly.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

zzc2010
16-06-2019, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. It threw me off a bit as sometimes it has the delay and other times it works perfectly.

Cheers!

Not sure if you’ve driven a manual car. The revs need to be matched in between the gearbox and the engine if you drive it hard. Each time you downgear, the revs jumps higher and it delivers more power. However, drastically more heat for the transmission to handle when you smash it.

Hillbilly
16-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Why buy an auto and drive it manually Obviously the box knows more than you LOL

sinstr
16-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Not sure if you’ve driven a manual car. The revs need to be matched in between the gearbox and the engine if you drive it hard. Each time you downgear, the revs jumps higher and it delivers more power. However, drastically more heat for the transmission to handle when you smash it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYep I have owned multiple high powered manual modified cars (gtr, evo etc) so I understand what you mean. In these cases I'm rolling into a roundabout for example at 10-20kms and looking to exit quickly hence the reason I'm knocking it back to first. After some testing this arvo if I leave it in 2nd and exit quickly it puts itself back to first anyway which is fine [emoji41] I'll just adjust how I drive and it will be all good.

sinstr
16-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Why buy an auto and drive it manually Obviously the box knows more than you LOLI much prefer driving it in manual, in auto it takes time for it to kick back gears whereas manual you can preset the gear for what you want to do.

I'm sure others here are the same [emoji106] and besides you cant get the Passat 206 in manual hehe

mr gee
16-06-2019, 07:46 PM
what I do with mine when approaching a roundabout or tight corner is pop the gear into sport mode.