PDA

View Full Version : TDI engine for Golfs

Golf Loon
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Just got offered a couple of 1.9 TDI 1Z engines from the UK.

Anyone know how hard these will be to wire up? My diesel knowledge is limited. Can you use an aftermarket ecu?

They are coming out with my next shipment of goodies and will cost around $1500 each, complete but without the turbos. If anyone cares.

Jarred
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Imagine one of these in a mk 1! with a bit of work, lots of boost, this would make one damn quick mk 1! (actually, it would make one of my dream mk 1's!)

Surely, someone, somewhere in the world would had done this swap or some work with this eng. before?

balkanac
08-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Jarred, why work on a diesel? Not very quick, noisy, smelly... Obviously you are not after fuel economy

Jarred
08-02-2008, 09:17 AM
who else has a worked turbo diesel in a mk 1?? all the torque would make it a damn quick car...

GoLfMan
08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Jarred, why work on a diesel? Not very quick, noisy, smelly... Obviously you are not after fuel economy

i dunno about that! obviously havent driven on recently!

gldgti
08-02-2008, 09:56 PM
loon, i'll chat to you about htis tomorrow.

for the others - yes, its easy to swap in a a 1z tdi to any golf. theres basic wiring, thats all.

and a nicely tuned tdi in a mk1 will get 60mpg all day long, and still outrun a 16v in the same car...

Logzy
09-02-2008, 09:26 AM

Where are you getting this information from because its not correct.!!!n:

Jarred
09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
loon, i'll chat to you about htis tomorrow.

for the others - yes, its easy to swap in a a 1z tdi to any golf. theres basic wiring, thats all.

and a nicely tuned tdi in a mk1 will get 60mpg all day long, and still outrun a 16v in the same car...

thats what i'm talking about. i'd think about it alot more seriously if i had a spare 5 k...

smithy010
02-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I've just got my first paycheque for my first professional job.

Which means only one thing..

I got money!

One of those 1z's would fit nicely in my mk1 i reckon, and since i already got a diesel in it, there'd be nothing to do...

Plenty of other incidental expenses to carry out on my first paycheque, like buying lots of beer and subsequently drinking it, but that would be something to consider for the future.

Stay tuned loon!

Smithy

Jarred
02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I've just got my first paycheque for my first professional job.

Which means only one thing..

I got money!

One of those 1z's would fit nicely in my mk1 i reckon, and since i already got a diesel in it, there'd be nothing to do...

Plenty of other incidental expenses to carry out on my first paycheque, like buying lots of beer and subsequently drinking it, but that would be something to consider for the future.

Stay tuned loon!

Smithy

DO IT DO IT!! it'd be sweet as. I'd love to do it, but I dont' have any pay checks from professional jobs. :?

gpk_gti
02-03-2008, 12:00 PM

hahha,,,have you ever driven a chipped diesel turbo?? torque by the bucket load and very suprising!

smithy010
07-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. I'm seriously considering one of those 1z TDI's that loon is selling.

I'm concerned that if i get one, i will be biting off more than i can chew..

Does anyone know exactly how much ECU gear is in these things? And how much of an engine management wizz i have to be to get the damn thing started?

Let's start from the start. The block is theoretically the same size as the standard 8V mk1 engine. right?

Am i likely to need any additional engine cooling or pipework?

Will the diesel starter off the CK engine (1.5IDI) work on this one? (i can't personally see why not, given it has a lower compression ratio).

Now, this engine is not to be confused with the AAZ engine, which is an IDI donk.

Can anyone see any forseeable issues?

Am i barking up the wrong tree here?

Jarred
07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
from what i've heard, it's pretty simple. cause its all mechanical (the pump) just a couple of wires, some plumbing (stock stuff'lll do) and hey presto. obviously a litttle more complex but yea.

I was seriously looking down this path. but the cost was too much for me. :?

Golf Loon
07-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Aydan would be the one to ask. I`m not a Diesel Guru. However, when I spoke to him about it, he seemed to think, just a wire to the pump and a simple blow through turbo.

I have 2 engines on the water, one is sold to Mollins, deposit taken and there is one left. Dont leave it too long, they are hard to get.

gldgti
08-04-2008, 06:51 AM
smithy, got to www.vwdiesel.net and search around there. you'll find all the info you need.

velly_16v_cab
08-04-2008, 07:44 AM
ok guys, i dont know much about engine cade but i am guess these are the 130 or 150 bhp ones??? like what are in the GT TDI mk4's???

if so then i bring bad news....fitting one of these is really really hard (i am not saying it cant be done...it can) that why not many people have done it. it a far easier and cheaper it fit a 20v T

I think you need to change fuel tank, lines. there is something about the fuel being hot so there is other poblems there....that all i can remember at the mo. I am sure you will find out more on the net. try ClubGTI.com/forum

mollins
08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
ok guys, i dont know much about engine cade but i am guess these are the 130 or 150 bhp ones??? like what are in the GT TDI mk4's???

velly is right when he says the mk4 engine is tricky ... the mk4 and mk5 TDI engines are very different, with computers and wizzbang stuff... i looked into this briefly but is a bit tricky

however, this engine came in mk3 diesels from 94 to about 96 i think

they are pretty much the same block as the AAZ 1.9 T IDI which is not that different to the good old 1.5 IDI. Cooling is similar, fuel lines is all the same as the AAZ... smithy, your petrol tank with modified lines for your diesel should be fine...

a lot of guys in the states run this 1Z engine as an "M-TDI" setup (mechanical TDI setup).. you basically remove/bypass all the electronic sensors and stuff and set it up like the good old IDI's.

I cant wait to get my engine.. when I do ill document my conversion well so others may enjoy diesel goodness.. :D:D

cheers
mike

smithy010
08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Mike, i assume you have had the down low on the 1z engines before...

What are your plans with the diesel, i don't care about what yu're going to do to make it go faster, but what are you going to do to get it going?

I assume these engines will come with an ECU.
On this assumption, i then assume that the ECU won't give me any problems with having to get coded keys or any stuff like all the new car freaks have troubles with...

Can you shed some light on this, or are you going to run it as an M-tdi (i reckon this is dodgy, taking an AAZ pump and putting 1Z internals in it...)

I'm getting into a flutter, because if it aint gunna work out, then i'll rebuild the 1.5 IDI and go back to my 37kW thinking...

mollins
08-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I dont think im getting an ECU at all, so im worst comes to worst, ill set it up something similar to the mtdi .. ill do some more reading up on this...

i am interested as what signals the TDI pump needs to run..

ill get back to you when i know exactly what im up to

mollins
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
ok.. so ive been reading a bit, and looking at etka and talking to aydan and ive decided i will be going down the mTDI avenue.

I found out that the TDI pump is drive by wire (electronic throttle etc...) ..that goes in the too hard basket..

Basically i will use a 1.6 Turbo IDI pump and swap the 10mm rotor, the 1.9 camplate, and TDI springs and spring inserts.

This will allow me to use the simple fuel solenoid start up and cable throttle and cold start just like any 1.5 or 1.6 IDI engine but run at TDI pressures.

If anyone has a 1.6 turbodiesel pump i would be very interested, otherwise ill be getting one from the states..

cheers

mike

Golf Loon
08-04-2008, 08:00 PM
These engines dont have ecus, they are literally just engines.
Its a long motor with all ancillaries, but no turbo.

The TD pump sounds like the way Mike, thats an easy setup.
Have you hooked up a source in the US?

smithy010
08-04-2008, 09:55 PM
That sounds relatively plausible..

Probably too much rooting around for me though.. It IS my daily driver after all. it's already been off the road for a couple of weeks and i'm almost pulling my hair out. Public transport blows.

mollins
08-04-2008, 09:58 PM
These engines dont have ecus, they are literally just engines.
Its a long motor with all ancillaries, but no turbo.

yeah i figured it wouldnt cos you said there was none.. :)

thats why im not going with the electronically controlled pump

The TD pump sounds like the way Mike, thats an easy setup.
Have you hooked up a source in the US?

yeah a guy called pete runs a shop called emiata

www.dieselvw.com

ive bought IDI stuff from him before and im currently waiting on a box from him with a new turbo, gaskets etc...

found out today he has a M-TDI setup for sale just out of stock at the moment.. im gonna email him and try to get one from him or maybe just a 1.6 pump and the bits to upgrade it myself

Jarred
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I'll be very interested how this works out! I'd be keen to go down this path too, with a mech pump.

Defiantly keep us updated mike.

mollins
09-04-2008, 07:57 AM
hurry up boat...

gldgti
09-04-2008, 06:25 PM
bump for that

DVR68U
16-04-2008, 10:43 PM
this should be a good conversion , cant wait for the updates . To bad they drive them boats so damn slow hey ;)
cheers brenton