PDA

View Full Version : VCDS Oil Level (for scientific purposes)

HiddenTaco
23-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Because our engines burn oil it would be very helpful if we can figure out a pattern for needing top ups. Please help by providing some data.

You need a VCDS cable. (You might get away with other OBD2 connections and software but I only have VCDS)

Use this link to learn how to data log:
APR - VCDS Datalogging Guide (https://www.goapr.com/support/datalogging.php)

Click "SRI Reset" on the VCDS start screen to get the "Time since Service"
(Be careful what you click. More info here Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: SRI Reset (http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/sri-reset.php))

Oil Temp.: Operating Temp (Car was driven for 10 minutes)
Time since Service (days): 219
Km since service: 5497km
Oil fill level: 89mm

MrAskani
24-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Ok I'll have a poke this weekend. I've been looking for an excuse to have a play :cool:

doc_777
24-05-2019, 09:26 AM
These no method to this. Oil gets diluted by combustion by-products more when running around town, and this diluted solution is more Iikely to be evaporated off at higher engine temps on longer high speed runs (highway). That’s the reason people often report needing to add oil after a highway run.

The schedule for top-ups will be determined by the level on the dipstick - unless that is too difficult to check as part of regular maintenance like checking tyre pressures, topping up wiper fluid, checking brake fluid levels, coolant level etc...

engines will consume oil according to how they’re used - not arbitrarily on how many km they’ve been driven recently.

HiddenTaco
24-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Are you saying that the "Oil fill level" reading is not indicative of how much oil is in the car?

doc_777
24-05-2019, 06:39 PM
Not at all - I wasn’t aware that I posted a riddle.

Whats the difficulty in using a dipstick?

HiddenTaco
24-05-2019, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't call it a riddle but I would call it an unnecessary ramble. The thread is not about dipstick vs data reading and I don't appreciate you derailing this thread.

If you don't want to participate in the thread constructively and find no value in measuring using the odb reading then you can simply move along instead of derailing a thread I created in good faith to help fellow owners.

---

For anyone still interested you can share some data. I wish I got the level straight after the dealership service.

doc_777
24-05-2019, 07:12 PM
I’m trying to help you.

its got nothing to do with oil level - it’s what makes up the composition that’s in the sump. You’re saying you want to figure out a pattern for oil top ups - i’m saying the composition of what’s in the sump will change depending on how you use the vehicle. While a sensor ,Amy give you an indication of level, it won’t tell you whether what you have is still in good condition, or whether it’s been diluted by blow-by (for example).

Transporter
24-05-2019, 08:24 PM
You could use dipstick to check and note the ml of oil needed to bring the level up to top mark on it.
The oil level sensor doesn’t have to be accurate for what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HiddenTaco
25-05-2019, 02:27 PM
You could use dipstick to check and note the ml of oil needed to bring the level up to top mark on it.
The oil level sensor doesn’t have to be accurate for what you need.

Thanks. I agree. I'm still curious if my dip stick observations will match what the computer sensor reads out.

tigger73
25-05-2019, 06:36 PM
Lets keep this thread on topic.

I'd actually suggest you need to verify the OBD oil level reading vs. dipstick to make sure the OBD reading is accurate.

There are a number of products on the market for reading OBD data. Vagcom and logging probably isn't necessary as the oil level is only going to move very slowly. I had an Autopolar FIS+ in my old Tiguan and this could display the oil level and temp data (as well as a heap of other things) on the MFD.

I'm not sure how accurate the Oil Level above Min parameter is but it will give you an early indication if your car is drinking oil.