PDA

View Full Version : So you just bought an Arteon/VW.... Things you need to know.

HiddenTaco
21-05-2019, 11:43 PM
Rattles

If your car has a metallic rattle from the engine on a cold start. Don't panic.

This is normal and a characteristic of this engine. It should last 2 seconds or less. If you get it every start even when the engine is very warm then you should call your friendly local VW mechanic. It doesn't always happen.

Ticks

If your engine ticks it is probably normal. Don't panic.

This is normal and a characteristic of this engine. You should not hear it in side the cabin with the windows closed and it might not always be present.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ignLPJcl1aw) different engine but good example.

Thuds

If you launch hard enough you might get a slight thud on gear change. Don't panic.

This is your DSG/DCT gear box and traction kicking in.

Clunks

When coming to a stop and you hear a slight clunk. Don't panic.

This is your DSG/DCT gear box gearing down into 1st. If it is accompanied by a physical jolt then you should call your friendly local VW mechanic.

Farts

If you change gear and your ear drums burst. Don't panic.

This is your DSG/DCT gear box making happy noises. This is a feature.

Bings

If you get an binging error telling you the coolant is low and to pull over. Pull over but don't panic.

Your car has complex cooling system including an intercooler, oil cooler and gearbox cooler. Within the first year or so there may still be air pockets that make their way to out of the system which causes the sensor to tell you the coolant is below the minimum. A mechanic will probably tell you to top it up with distilled water (which is fine) but it is recommended that you get a premix top up from the VW dealership.

Shwooosh or flap

If you get a swoosh or flappy noise from your mirrors check for a piece of paper stuck in them.

Below is an image of a bit of paper that came out of my drivers side mirror. I only found it because it came half out and started flapping around.

DreamensioN
22-05-2019, 04:33 PM
I'll just add - after 18 months of ownership, I was washing the car the other week - and I noticed one of the silver/chrome details on the doors (driver side) was coming off. The double sided tape had let go and it was starting to fall off. Had I not noticed it may have come off on the highway or something.

Easy fix was to gently peel the chrome detail off, and remove all the double sided tape. I then wiped both the door/paint (where it goes back on) and the back of the chrome detail with some grease and wax remover. I bought some "Gorilla" double sided tape from Bunnings (this is outdoor grade), and cut a length to match the full length of the detail. Then just pressed it back onto the car.

I remember reading in another thread somewhere (may have been this forum) that this happened to someone else aswell - one of the chrome inserts fell off the car. So keep an eye out for it. A couple of dollars for some new double sided tape is cheaper than re-ordering the part from VW.

Edit: Found it - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f248/2018my-arteon-discussion-thread-116417-26.html?highlight=fell#post1257792

HiddenTaco
23-05-2019, 09:59 PM
Thanks for that. I will preemptively do that.

You didn't mention it but do you think a hair dryer will help remove them?

MrAskani
24-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Farts

If you change gear and your ear drums burst. Don't panic.

This is your DSG/DCT gear box making happy noises. This is a feature.

Hahahaha the Farts made me nearly crap myself the first time it happened. I worked out how to get it into Sport Mode (shame shame shame) and gave it a poke and it farted and I thought it'd broken something! Now I love it.

DreamensioN
24-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Thanks for that. I will preemptively do that.

You didn't mention it but do you think a hair dryer will help remove them?

If yours doesn't have a problem, I wouldn't pro-actively try to remove it.

If it ain't broke etc etc.

But if you do notice it starting to come off, you can very gently pull it away and the tapes adhesive will just let go, and then you can fix it up.

HiddenTaco
24-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Thanks. My fear is not noticing it fall off.. But you are right.:cool: