PDA

View Full Version : Servicing not on time. Does it void the VW Warranty?

Johnte
21-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know whether or not your warranty will be void if you miss or service or schedule much later than the schedule?

I'm talking 10000km off. E.g. doing the 45k service at 55k.

TIA

Transporter
21-05-2019, 03:17 PM
It doesn’t look good doing 25,000km on the engine oil oppose to 15,000km, if something goes wrong with the engine I think, you could kiss your warranty goodbye.

ope126
21-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know whether or not your warranty will be void if you miss or service or schedule much later than the schedule?

I'm talking 10000km off. E.g. doing the 45k service at 55k.

TIA

Quite simple really, the servicing schedule is 12mths or 15,000kms (whichever comes first).

Based on what you wrote above, I am assuming your referring to the 36mths / 45,000kms service and you now have 55,000kms on your car?

Is your Passat still under the 3yr manufacturers warranty?

If not, are you seeking a Goodwill claim from VW? Might be best to give them a call and discuss, I am sure you would be happy with their response if discussed diplomatically...

Lucas_R
21-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Id say VW would use it as a reason without blinking an eye if you had some kind of issue during your warranty period.

My brother did a similar thing recently with his Skoda vRS diesel. He bought it brand new in 2017 and only just had its first service done about 2 months ago. He is a tight arse and didnt want to spend the money. So the car had well and truly gone over in terms of time (approx 2yrs old) and kilometres (nearly 30,000km). I told him he was crazy because it will not only hurt resale when that time comes (he generally only keeps cars for 3-4 years) but also if he has an engine related warranty issue im sure Skoda will use the lack of servicing as a way to get out of it.

I offered to help do a DIY oil change on multiple occasions so that at least the oil and filter was changed - but he said no.

Best you consult your local VW dealership to find out for sure - but dont be surprised as id argue 10,000km is long overdue.

Johnte
21-05-2019, 03:38 PM
Quite simple really, the servicing schedule is 12mths or 15,000kms (whichever comes first).

Based on what you wrote above, I am assuming your referring to the 36mths / 45,000kms service and you now have 55,000kms on your car?

Is your Passat still under the 3yr manufacturers warranty?

If not, are you seeking a Goodwill claim from VW? Might be best to give them a call and discuss, I am sure you would be happy with their response if discussed diplomatically...

Its actually a car I'm looking to purchase. Seller says there is 1.5 years left of the VW Warranty but the last week was the major service which he did 10k later. The seller clarified that it was over the 15000 interval but within the 12 month period. I'm just making sure that if I purchase the car, that the warranty is still valid.

The example I gave was just that. An example. Probably should of used the real life scenario in this case.

Lucas_R
21-05-2019, 04:08 PM
I wouldnt necessarily walk away from the car, but id use the late service as a way of getting the price down a bit. If the seller wont budge then i would walk.

Johnte
22-05-2019, 08:44 AM
Spoke to the seller and he gave me more information on servicing intervals.

Service 1 10/01/17 17,254kms
Service 2 09/01/18 34,161
Service 3 18/09/18 52,893km
Service 4 04/05/19 71,039 kms

Seems like the servicing is all over the shop. I think I might just call my local VW and ask them if the warranty is still okay.

Also, does anyone know if I need to fill out any papers to transfer the warranty over to me?

doc_777
22-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Too random for me - there is no shortage of good Passats available on he second hand market.

if they’ve let simple scheduled maintenance go in that way, what else haven’t they taken care of?

Hillbilly
22-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Seems like the servicing is all over the shop. I think I might just call my local VW and ask them if the warranty is still okay.

Also, does anyone know if I need to fill out any papers to transfer the warranty over to me?

There is a page in the service book for ownership changes

If services done at a dealers car rego etc will be in the system so they will have full records

If not you might be whistling in the wind

Where were the services done, Dealer , someones backyard??????

Also service intervals are 15k or 12months whichever comes first.

Wifes Polo is 8 years old has had a service every year but has only done 26000km

ope126
22-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Based on only the above provided information...

The only way to tell if it is still in warranty is to find the date of first registration.
Possibly mid 2016? So possibly out of warranty any month or so now...

If / when you purchase a vehicle, just contact VW, they have a change of ownership process that they will email to you.
Simple process...

Due to Privacy Laws / Restrictions you might find it hard to gain info from the dealer / VW until it is in your name.

If you can communicate with the seller freely, just ask him/her more specific questions...

Unless it is a super cheap vehicle, I would consider looking for another...

Lucas_R
22-05-2019, 09:41 AM

Every single service is late in terms of the kilometres. The 3rd and 4th service are considerably late - i would find another car.

Johnte
22-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Every single service is late in terms of the kilometres. The 3rd and 4th service are considerably late - i would find another car.

Wow that bad? Didn't realise missing the servicing would be that detrimental. Then again I know nothing about cars hence why I'm on this forum. lol

doc_777
22-05-2019, 11:16 AM
I think the point is, why take the risk? You’re not looking at buying a rare vehicle - there are plenty of choices out there. If someone is tight enough to not have a vehicle serviced according to the schedule, what else about the vehicle haven’t they looked after?

Lucas_R
22-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Wow that bad? Didn't realise missing the servicing would be that detrimental. Then again I know nothing about cars hence why I'm on this forum. lol

If they have missed servicing by that many km's to me it screams i don't look after or care about my car. So with that in mind, what else have they cheaped out on or let go until the last minute?

Its not a rare car, so personally i would walk away and find another one - up to you though. If it was a rare car and you had very limited options to find another one then it would possibly be a different situation.

15,000km is a lot of km's between an oil change already - letting that go for another 5,000-8,000km is not a great idea. The oil degrades and can no longer protect the engine like it did when new. So an engine that has late/missed servicing will have additional wear on the internal engine components (bearings etc) not to mention (in extreme cases) the oil starts to solidify and blocks oil passages etc. The owner of this car has serviced it late every single time - its was not just once due to x reason.

FlatVermin
22-05-2019, 02:24 PM
i agree with what everyone else is saying.... i would be more worried about the damaged that has been caused to the engine from the over run in oil changes.
its not a matter of if the engine has been damaged by doing 25k between a change, its a matter of how much its been damaged by it!!

Just walk away and find another one!

Johnte
22-05-2019, 08:41 PM
The guy purchase extended warranty. It expires 2021.

It's a 2015 MY 16 Highline w Luxury for 27k

Seems like a pretty good deal when factoring in the 1.5years left of warranty but I've only just started looking so not sure what's considered a cheap price.

I'll take the forums advice and walk away.

brad
23-05-2019, 08:23 AM
Any warranty on the engine will be void. In the back of my mind, the last time this question was asked it was confirmed that VW allow 10% over - 1500km or 6 weeks.

Keep in mind that every 2nd or 3rd start the dashboard was screaming at him "Service Now" and he ignored it all that time.

Most VW vehicles use oil to a greater or lesser extent between services so when did he top up? Did he wait until the oil pressure light came on?

Johnbu
26-05-2019, 02:45 AM
Seems odd to pay for extended warranty yet not bother with servicing the car on time.

If the car was significantly cheaper than others (with correct scheduled servicing), you didn't care about resale, i.e. keeping the car for 8 years AND it was services by VW I'd take a punt.

VW would use 505 507 oil. Overseas this oil is rated to last 30k or 2 years. 0pppp

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Johnte
26-05-2019, 03:06 PM
He mentioned to me something about it being on a flexible servicing schedule and sent me photos showing that the PR NO. was QI6 and a photo of what looks like the manual. Seems legit but I really have no idea what that means.

The car I think is a really good price when you include the warranty. Not sure without it

I would def keep it for 8±.

The car has always been serviced at a VW dealership. Just always late based on the intervals.

sn809
26-05-2019, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=Johnte;1296243]He mentioned to me something about it being on a flexible servicing schedule and sent me photos showing that the PR NO. was QI6 and a photo of what looks like the manual. Seems legit but I really have no idea what that means.

The car I think is a really good price when you include the warranty. Not sure without it

I would def keep it for 8±.

The car has always been serviced at a VW dealership. Just always late based on the intervals.[/

Extended warranty needs to be factory warranty not dealer so keep that in mind. Dealer warranty not worth the paper its printed on. Factory won't be applicable in this case as its not been serviced in time and you would be second owner, often warranties donot transfer across and a simple shrug of the shoulders from selller can absolve him.

If the Km/year were less you could understand the delays but this is above average to High Km per year.

Only plus in this purchase is the seller has been honest with you re the car. If you want to take a risk and its significantly cheap go for it, you could probably pay one of the forum members who service cars to do an inspection for you but keep in mind cars are now like appliances. They work one day and don't the next and are expensive to repair (more with european models) specially considering it was not serviced in time.

Whilst you are here read through the forums to see what can go wrong with particular model and check those things out first as well and keep it a part of your financial purchase decision. Its a slick machine but that also means it needs tender care, I hope tht makes sense.
Good luck on your purchase

rave75
27-05-2019, 01:54 PM
its not a matter of if the engine has been damaged by doing 25k between a change, its a matter of how much its been damaged by it!!

He was doing 17k between service though, not 25k. Well if 2k over 15k is considered major, then OP shouldn't get the car

Transporter
27-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Most VW vehicles use oil to a greater or lesser extent between services so when did he top up? Did he wait until the oil pressure light came on?

Some owners only when the rattle from engine gets really loud and some when the red engine oil light is on all the time. :(
Some have only less than 1L in the sump when drained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

doc_777
27-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Some owners only when the rattle from engine gets really loud and some when the red engine oil light is on all the time. :(
Some have only less than 1L in the sump when drained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know of a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years ago that got it’s first service when the vehicle was traded-in :shock: At 80,000km. The oil had been topped-up by the owner a few times but that’s all. It was bad - real bad. Wholesaled out, but some poor punter out there got a real problem.

Transporter
27-05-2019, 03:24 PM
I know of a Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years ago that got it’s first service when the vehicle was traded-in :shock: At 80,000km. The oil had been topped-up by the owner a few times but that’s all. It was bad - real bad. Wholesaled out, but some poor punter out there got a real problem.

A friend of mine had 2012 Jetta 118TSI she has done 3 services and done 140,000km when she traded it in on Subaru Impreza. The engine run like a charm the DSG needed major work, hence why she traded the car in.

Hillbilly
27-05-2019, 03:41 PM
My Landcruiser had been a Govt car and first service in the book was at 21000km.

I was really worried about it about that but in the 130,000 km I did in it it never used any oil, so I guess some are lucky and some are not