PDA

View Full Version : Which Passat Wagon is right for me?

Johnte
17-05-2019, 10:10 AM
Hi all,

my wife and I have narrow down our search for a new car and the passat wagon has won.

we are looking at the used market but both my wife and I are unsure which model is right for us.

We live in Sydney and only drive 5000-6000km a year. My wife drives 10kms to work round trip and every 2-3 weeks we head to my parents out West so they can see the grandkid.

I really like the Highline w/ Lux & R-line and the Wife likes the slight higher riding position of the alltrack.

However considering our driving habits, I'm concerned about potential dfp issues in the diesel.

Based on our driving habits, do you still think its okay to look at the highline or alltrack or should we really be looking at the comfortline? My main issue with the petrol model is reading about past issues with the DQ200 dry clutch?

Any advice is great appreciated and TIA.

doc_777
17-05-2019, 10:53 AM
It’s a compromise.

you will likely have the DPF do its regen thing more often because of your driving cycle, but I like the ride height of the Alltrack.

Will you have big problems down the track with the DPF? At only 5 or 6 thousand km per year it’ll take a looooong time for any issues to arise.

Hillbilly
17-05-2019, 11:21 AM
I have just sold a TDI Highline (with Everything) Passat and bought a petrol car.

Reason is that i only did 43000 in 8 years and only used it on trips long enough to get it hot. Never ever just ran the 2 k to the shops.
I think the Passats dont have the DQ200 as far as i know. I never had any problems at all but was careful how I drove it
Personally I think you should buy a petrol one and drive it correctly.
EG No creeping in traffic with foot partially on the brake. Dont drive into garage with feet on both etc

Lovely car to travel in and economical as well.

What years are you looking at I got $12000 for my 2011 TDI with 43,000k on it Unmarked literally

Johnte
17-05-2019, 11:31 AM
What years are you looking at I got $12000 for my 2011 TDI with 43,000k on it Unmarked literally

I'm looking at B8 so from 2015 MY16 onwards.

We are trying to decide whether the manual seat adjustment on the drivers side will be okay because we are coming from an 07 Honda Accord which is all electric. I found it very odd that the MY16 Passats had manual adjustment.

I found a MY16 Alltrack with Luxury, 100000km for 27k, 12 months rego. Do you think that is a good price? Is the high kms a concern? The car is out in the country so its all highway kms.

We generally keep our cars for 10+ years so want to make sure we have given the most minor things, proper thought.

By CREEPING, do you mean when you let go of the break just slightly to the point the car moves? Because both my wife and I never do that.

rave75
17-05-2019, 01:37 PM
I think you should buy a petrol one and drive it correctly.
EG No creeping in traffic with foot partially on the brake. Dont drive into garage with feet on both etc

I drive the DQ200 correctly, still had to replace the clutch at 45k km.

Lucas_R
17-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Do not get a diesel if you do less than 15,000km a year and mostly do short trips where the engine doesnt warm up properly.....you will regret it. Not to mention that a diesel will not return its claimed economy figures on short urban trips and low speeds.

Diesels need highway/open road driving on a regular (basically everyday) basis to be worthwhile, and need to be driven lots.

Go for the petrol TSI engine.

Lucas_R
17-05-2019, 02:10 PM
I found a MY16 Alltrack with Luxury, 100000km for 27k, 12 months rego. Do you think that is a good price? Is the high kms a concern? The car is out in the country so its all highway kms.

We generally keep our cars for 10+ years so want to make sure we have given the most minor things, proper thought.

The car above is the correct conditions for a modern diesel vehicle. High kms in a short space of time and most drives will be a long time/distance as the owner lives in the country.

100,000km is just run-in for a diesel, but i would strongly advise against buying one if you only do 5,000-6,000km a year with most being short urban drives. If you also lived in the country or regularly travelled on the highway between Sydney to Newcastle for example then i would not hesitate to recommend a diesel.

Johnte
17-05-2019, 03:41 PM
I drive the DQ200 correctly, still had to replace the clutch at 45k km.

I think i actually read your post about this somewhere which is why I'm slightly put off with going for the comfortline petrol model.

How much was it to replace the clutch if you don't mind me asking?

Not to mention that a diesel will not return its claimed economy figures on short urban trips and low speeds....
If you also lived in the country or regularly travelled on the highway between Sydney to Newcastle for example then i would not

I'm not too concerned return on economy on fuel. I'm looking at the diesel options because of the wet clutch in the highline & alltrack. Alltrack wife just looks the higher riding position and it will most likely be a smoother ride over the 100s of potholes she probably goes over driving in Sydney.

Only highway driving I do is on the M5 back to my parents place. its a 40-50min drive.

Hillbilly
17-05-2019, 03:49 PM
A DPF is about $4k if it gets sooted up beyond repair Was the reason I sold mine as didnt do enough long trips any more.

A 2017- 19 Tiguan gives a much higher ride and is nice inside. Just a bit shorter than the Passat behind the seats.

Jimi
17-05-2019, 07:07 PM
A used 206 will have petrol and wet clutch if dry clutch is your concern

Transporter
17-05-2019, 07:20 PM
The DPF has designed life well over 200,000km and last much longer when looked after. Also the cost of the DPF came down in past years as there are aftermarket options as well.

Johnte
17-05-2019, 09:18 PM
That's out of my budget unfortunately.