PDA

View Full Version : Surface Rust

LowVeeDub
07-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Hey There Guys, Whats the best way to remove surface rust. Is there a product that you can get, Fine sand paper?? Let me know your ideas..:?:

Thanks.. LVD

Jarred
07-02-2008, 09:28 AM
where abouts is it? if it's onto of the paint, there may be some underneath. pics always help with this. but yea, a 300-400 grit sand paper will sure get rid of it, hec any sandpaper will, but it will leave scratch marks etc. maybe post a pic of the area first so we can see what it's like, and recommend a course of action

LowVeeDub
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Its in the gutter above the windows, I suspect i have a little under the window seal in the back left window which is not surface rust. But thats another story..

Jarred
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
well if you sand it pack, you'll propably end up going to bare metal, which means you defiantly need to primer it (to prevent the clean bare metal from rusting) and it's best to top coat it as well. Although your car will start to look a bit spotty. and you'll end up repainting you whole car, just like I did! :D

Peter Jones
07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Try rust convertor from Super cheap. If it's only light rust stains on the paint it'll fix it up.

It converts the rust to a stable compund wich can be painted over. A cheap quick fix is to use this stuff then clear laquer over it.

Generally speaking the only long term solution to rust is to cut out the affected area and replace it with new steel.

Pete