PDA

View Full Version : Advice on second hand Amarok year models

Lego
25-03-2019, 06:13 PM
I’m searching for a second hand Amarok for family adventures.

Reading up on the internet, reveals that early Amaroks have problems, but I’m not quite clear on which year models are ‘early’ and what year model I should be short listing.

Any advice appreciated.

jeromeo
25-03-2019, 06:24 PM
2010-2011 where 1st model only manual
2012 1st auto (I had one off them for 5 years great car no major issues.)
2016 new front and interior.
2017 1st V6 engine. ( I have one now so nice to drive.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lego
26-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Thanks Jerome. So it looks like the early problem amaroks were the 2010 and 2011 models. I’ll look for 2012-2015 models.

jeromeo
26-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Also few types of equipment.
Core
Trendline
Highline
Ultimate.

I will recommend at least highline. As ultimate doesn't really have anything extra in this models years.
Ultimate become really different in post face lift years. 2016+ (leather Electric seat, paddle shifter... etc.)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Lego
06-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Thanks Jeromeo. I picked up a 4-cyl highline.

It’s got a soft tonneau cover at the back. Only stops stuff from flying out and getting wet- but not the thieves.

What’s the best option for securing cargo in the back. Roll-n-Local, mountain top, hsp?

V6 Rok
06-04-2019, 08:32 PM
I've always had soft tonneau covers on all my utes as they are the most practical for how I use a ute and security is a constant issue. I've tried something different with my Amarok and welded up a large aluminium box that is open on one face facing rearward. When the tailgate is shut it closes the open face of the box and with the locking tailgate secures all my stuff and still leaves some unsecured room in front of the box. A bit hard to describe - I'll see if i can post up a picture tomorrow.
Comes in and out in a few minutes.

Transporter
07-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Thanks Jeromeo. I picked up a 4-cyl highline.

It’s got a soft tonneau cover at the back. Only stops stuff from flying out and getting wet- but not the thieves.

What’s the best option for securing cargo in the back. Roll-n-Local, mountain top, hsp?

It’s tough choice, since there are many options out there. Some are more expensive than others. If you don’t care much about the looks, then any canopy will give you a good security for your load, though if you never carry much stuff with you, roller cover would do and you can keep that sports bar if you have one to keep the original Ute looks.

V6 Rok
07-04-2019, 02:43 PM
This is what I mentioned above. It gives me 1350 x 600 x 520 of lockable storage under the tonneau with plenty of room still in front of the box. It's secured with a couple of turnbuckles on the OEM tie down points and bolts through the stainless brackets I've made for the removable rear rack bar. Bolts can't be undone without access to inside the box. Fit's under the flat top tonneau and seems to keep tools dry without the tonneau too. Comes in and out in minutes.
It's the size it is because that was the size of the bit of checker plate I've had sitting around the workshop for ages. Now I've been using it for a while, and am liking the functionality, I may make another one that's a bit deeper.

Transporter
07-04-2019, 04:05 PM
It looks neat. I’ve also seen a full length and width waterproof drawers for the tub, similar concept as your Al box, the tailgate secured the front of the drawers, they’re probably 2/3 of the tub height. So you still have a full length of tub space.

Lego
10-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Thanks for posting some pics V6rok. Purpose built and looks neat.