PDA

View Full Version : Extending warranty for Passat B8

rave75
20-03-2019, 02:50 PM
Is it worthwile to extend the warranty on the dry clutch? I had to replace the clutch pack at 40k km (no charge) and now it is on 50k. The warranty expires today and I was quoted $2200 for 3 years/200,000 km by VW dealer. I am planning to go overseas for good in July, so I am contemplating whether it is worth it to get the warranty. Or is there any cheaper alternative.

zzc2010
20-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Is it worthwile to extend the warranty on the dry clutch? I had to replace the clutch pack at 40k km (no charge) and now it is on 50k. The warranty expires today and I was quoted $2200 for 3 years/200,000 km by VW dealer. I am planning to go overseas for good in July, so I am contemplating whether it is worth it to get the warranty. Or is there any cheaper alternative.

I paid 2200 for 2 years as factory extended warranty when I bought the car.

The prices are pretty firm. What you are paying is not the factory warranty. It is insured by the company you paying to. Not VAG.

However, one clutch could cost you that amount in one year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

206Harvard
21-03-2019, 07:08 AM
Interesting topic, I never thought you would be able to get additional cover on a wearing item like a clutch which to me seems like a consumable item much like brake pads and wiper blades.
Other thoughts?

zzc2010
21-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Interesting topic, I never thought you would be able to get additional cover on a wearing item like a clutch which to me seems like a consumable item much like brake pads and wiper blades.
Other thoughts?

The dry clutch could die just after 20k city drive.

If it endure a good 50k drive, I would say it’s consumable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rave75
22-03-2019, 04:19 PM
My clutch was replace under warranty. I thought it is consumable too but normally clutch should last much longer, VW knows it, that's why they replaced it under warranty. But Eric insurance on the other hand, they might not?