PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Distribution Box

doinitsideways
01-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Anyone got any guidance on this which sits on top of the battery in my 18 V6 Highline? ARB fed the spotlights from one of the terminals... is each cable separately fused, if so where? I would imagine I’d run cabling off one of these lugs down to the tray to power the dcdc charger.

I also note the earth appears to run straight to the chassis, leading me to believe I should only need to run the + that far and just use chassis as ground in the tub?

TIA,

Josh

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/03/a4dcaf4e87a95b344cb7a05bf5b258af-1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Transporter
01-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Yes, it’s the right place to connect your BCDC charger and you can use chassis as the negative terminal.

doinitsideways
01-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Cheers @transporter

Are each of them fused individually? Or will I still need to install a fuse as close as I can to the terminal?

Transporter
01-03-2019, 11:15 AM
These are individual fuses. But there is not a free spot there, you can run your new fuse for the circuit you going to add.

doinitsideways
07-05-2019, 11:00 AM
These are individual fuses. But there is not a free spot there, you can run your new fuse for the circuit you going to add.

Hi @Transporter

Just back on this, the spare 8mm (or 10?) on the very bottom of my photo, any idea what amps I can pull from that?

I’ve run 2B&S from the tub to the front and have a 100A in-line fuse 300mm from the starter battery, can I bolt down to that connection?

I want to be able to link the batteries during winching. At max load the winch pulls up to 450 amps!!! Although it will be shared between the alternators supply, the starter battery and the linked in aux battery in the tub.

Cheers,
Josh

Transporter
07-05-2019, 11:20 AM
Hi @Transporter

Just back on this, the spare 8mm (or 10?) on the very bottom of my photo, any idea what amps I can pull from that?

I’ve run 2B&S from the tub to the front and have a 100A in-line fuse 300mm from the starter battery, can I bolt down to that connection?

I want to be able to link the batteries during winching. At max load the winch pulls up to 450 amps!!! Although it will be shared between the alternators supply, the starter battery and the linked in aux battery in the tub.

Cheers,
Josh

What’s 2B&s ?
For 450A you need the cable as thick as is used for the starter motor and if your batteries are in the tub, the longer the cable is the greater voltage drop under the load and you need really heavy duty fuses.