PDA

View Full Version : Quick intro and issue with refueling

dubrav
24-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Hi guys, my first post since i returned to VW brand , i said i'll never buy another VW as my 2006 Passat TDI was the worst car i've ever owned then i saw Arteon and i just couldn't resist so i bit the bullet and got one back in October.
I thought i share what happened to me on a day i was coming back to Sydney from Goldie . I was going to leave early in the morning so we left at 5:00 a.m. and stopped at the first servo to fill up , i had half a tank and i only managed to squeeze about 2 liters when the nozzle clicked, i thought i must have moved it or something so i tried pressing again and it clicked again.I tried multiple times and i gave up, drove up to different servo and tried again and same thing so i called VW assist and they sent somebody to see what is going on. When they arrived i explained what was happening and i asked if they can try to put in a fuel in with a fuel can and they tried but it still didn't want to take any fuel in . The guy then pushed a thick wire down through a fuel tank neck and it stopped after approx. 20cm , so it looked like the flap inside the neck got stuck and they advised that i see a dealer. I called VW assist and ask if they can get in touch with nearest dealer to sort of prioritize this and they refused to get involved and told me that it is my responsibility so i told them off and hanged up..... Anyways , i drove to the nearest dealer waited for two hrs for them to open only to find out their service is open every second Saturday , as i was showing to the sales guys what the issue was and opened a tank i heard air come out of a tank and i thought great i'm sure i'll be able to refuel the car and i did.Since then i filled up 4 times and haven't had any issues but will report it when i do my first service (unless it happens again).
Just realized how long this story is , anyway , i love the car and i hope that it will serve me better than Passat i had.
Cheers

Mr_206
24-01-2019, 08:03 PM
That is really weird, i got my car in Dec 2017 and never had that issue

Bora Sport
25-01-2019, 08:25 PM
I have always had some issues with all of the 4 Motion VW’s that I have/still own. Right back from my 2001 Bora to my current Golf R and diesel Skoda Octavia Scout.

I think it has something to do with the saddle tank setup. Perhaps it gets an air lock between the two sides of the tank? One of my mates years ago suggested holding the fuel filler at 45degrees to the vertical. Don’t ask me why but it seems to work. However from time to time it can still be a pain in the backside. I usually just persist a half a litre at a time to get them full to the top.

Glen
26-01-2019, 03:38 AM
Hi, I have never had an issue with getting fuel into he tank but do notice every time I'm about to fill up and undo the cap a very large gushing of what sounds like compressed air comes out. Scared me a bit first time around but now getting used to it. Had lots of cars in my time form all makes some quite high powered and have never had this before but assume it is okay, hoping now I don't have an instance like you now and get to a point I can't fill up!
Please keep us posted as to how it goes?
Apart from that, love the car and have nad no troubles.

DreamensioN
01-02-2019, 07:41 PM
+1 for never having had that issue, but I've had the "air pressure" noise before. That said I've had it on just about every car I've owned. Never had a problem filling up though and that issue you describe is weird.

dubrav
02-02-2019, 12:47 AM
I have since then filled the car up 6 times and issue hasn't come up , hearing pressure release when i open a tank is a good thing cause i know for sure I'll be able to fill up.I have heard that there is apparently a valve sitting in the filler neck that's supposed to stop the fuel gushing out in case of rollover, don't know if it is true or not . Service is due in 6000 KM and if it doesn't happen till then i'll report it and see what happens.

dubrav
13-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Hi all,
Just a quick update that this issue never came back again........