PDA

View Full Version : No more Shell V-Power ?

kaikor
04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Any you guys realise for the past 2 weeks in Sydney, I've been to more than 4 different shells, all of them ran out of V-Power 98, in fact my dad saw a notice from one station by Shell management, they stopped supplying V-Power and wouldn't say when it will be back in stock!!! I have to stick with Vortex now until my BP card arrive next week, so I can try out Ultimate !!!

STV4SYT
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Any you guys realise for the past 2 weeks in Sydney, I've been to more than 4 different shells, all of them ran out of V-Power 98, in fact my dad saw a notice from one station by Shell management, they stopped supplying V-Power and wouldn't say when it will be back in stock!!! I have to stick with Vortex now until my BP card arrive next week, so I can try out Ultimate !!!

I never was a fan of the Shell Optimax/VPower, goes back to the bike riding days, my R1 used to run like a pig on it, i found the best to use were BP ultimate and Mobil 8000, as the bike ran a lot smoother on both those, the Caltex/Ampol versions were only used in situations where there was nothign else but didnt have any adverse effects.

Now, I'm on Diesel all the way. and the only bike i got is 1 human power.

gtimk5
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
They actually mentioned it on the news here in Tassie that just prior to the Oz day long weekend Shell had some malfunction and couldnt deliver any 98 octane in NSW. I think someone mentioned it on the forum on the friday before the weekend too?
Andrew :)

99gti
04-02-2008, 02:40 PM
It was in the paper last week.

Read this (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23107809-29277,00.html)

Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

DubSteve
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I like the Vpower aswell for my VR I use BP aswell sometimes but I prefer the Vpower not happy with the Mobil one though don't like it that much.

fuzion
04-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I never was a fan of the Shell Optimax/VPower, goes back to the bike riding days, my R1 used to run like a pig on it, i found the best to use were BP ultimate and Mobil 8000, as the bike ran a lot smoother on both those, the Caltex/Ampol versions were only used in situations where there was nothign else but didnt have any adverse effects.

Now, I'm on Diesel all the way. and the only bike i got is 1 human power.

I agree with you there, i never was a fan of the V-Power either. It always on every car of mine used a hell of a lot more or made my Golf ping! .. Im usually these days on Mobile 8000 which runs very well and good milage, equally as BP Ultimate.

But you can't forget the best.... Volume Plus Premium! Oooo yer! :P

balkanac
04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
BP Ultimate all the way!! BP is the closest to my house anyway :)

gareth_oau
04-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Generally speaking, each state has one refinery, i.e Perth has a BP refinery only.

Consequently, when Caltex and PEAK offer 98RON fuel in Perth, its probably manufactured at the BP refineryanyway (unless they choose to import a batch from Singapore)

The supposed differences may be due to, for example, Caltex adding their own "secret herbs and spices" (typically detergents), which may in fact be worse than the original manufacturer's product.

It might also be due to less than perfect handling and storage procedures by the marketer (as opposed to the refiner).

It might be worthwhile working out who operates the refinery in yr state, and using their product as the benchmark, then do a direct comparison from there.

Make sure when you compare you do it fairly, ie, car is in same state of tune, same time of day and ambient conditions, and the fuel you are testing is the only fuel in yr tank, ie, dont top up with one brand when yr tank is half full of another

OilBurna
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
refinery shutdown in sydney @ parramatta for maintenance.. BP Ultimate is fine hehehe although we rely on Shell for most of the rest.. :)