PDA

View Full Version : B8 MY18.5 7sp launch control issues.

WogsRus
20-01-2019, 10:27 PM
Ok so we have a MY 18.5 7sp 2.0 tsi Passat alltrack, right before they stoped making the diesels.

It has launch control as per most dsgs.

Issue I have, is that when you use launch control, the car takes of fine, like a bat out of hell, then grabs second and the gearbox slips and does nothing or slips and then does an almighty klunck.

Been to vw a few times and has been reported to mr Germany headquarters. Their report back, it's normal as protection for the box.

WTF is the point of having it if you cant use it.

Has anyone else used launch control in their 7sp passat, if so, did the gearbox work fine or slip??

I am am not going to just go away and listen to Mr vw as I dont bellive the function of the launch control is correct.

Help please.

Jondalar
21-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Firstly how do you use Launch control, I can't recall it being in the owners manual. I've noticed with the 6 speed Alltrack Wolfsburg if you put it in sport and just floor it there is a big drop in acceleration when it first changes to 2nd gear, like the gears are too far apart but if you use about 50% throttle everything works much more smoothly and I feel it's faster overall.

WogsRus
21-01-2019, 04:59 PM
Same as any dsg. Put the traction control in sports mode, foot on the brake, floor the gas, launch controlled comes up as enables, holds 2.5k, side step the brake, and off she goes.

Rocket36
22-01-2019, 09:01 AM
But why do you want to use it in an AllTrack? Are you racing it? Or at the drags? lol

WogsRus
22-01-2019, 10:29 AM
But why do you want to use it in an AllTrack? Are you racing it? Or at the drags? lol

Neither, i just saw that the feature was there, used it, found issues, reported it to Mr VW, got pushed aside a bit, now want to see what other cars do.

As a Mechanical Engineer, i cant stand being given half arsed answers.

So if someone could test is in their car and report, that would be grand.

dArK5HaD0w
22-01-2019, 12:36 PM
i've had no issues using launch control with DSG-6.
i don't know how its like with the DSG-7 (either wet or dry), so i can't comment on ur situation.
however slipping, or almight klunks cannot b normal in any case!!!

having said that - VW or VAG for that matter, do not encourage the use of launch control at all, despite some cars having it.

but either way, traction control off, dsg in either sport or manual mode, left foot on brake and apply throttle. it will hold revs between 2.5-3k, if u've got launch control. then foot off the brake and away u go!!!

WogsRus
22-01-2019, 12:43 PM
i've had no issues using launch control with DSG-6.
i don't know how its like with the DSG-7 (either wet or dry), so i can't comment on ur situation.
however slipping, or almight klunks cannot b normal in any case!!!

having said that - VW or VAG for that matter, do not encourage the use of launch control at all, despite some cars having it.

but either way, traction control off, dsg in either sport or manual mode, left foot on brake and apply throttle. it will hold revs between 2.5-3k, if u've got launch control. then foot off the brake and away u go!!!

Yeah the slipping and clunking is the issue i want to eradicate, but need someone to comment on their car. I have managed to track down another Alltrack here for a drive, but its a 6sp not the new 7spd.

HiddenTaco
23-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Is your gear box the DQ381 (7sp Wet)? I may have experienced the same thing as you (Arteon).

Does it feel like it is coming from the back?

My observation is that it happens more when you launch full boost. When it shifts into second there is a thud or bang and a surge of forward momentum. It does not always happen.

I've only ever had it occur in launch mode.

I'm not sure it is gearbox making the bang noise. It could be the Haldex or even the engine violently moving.

WogsRus
23-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Is your gear box the DQ381 (7sp Wet)? I may have experienced the same thing as you (Arteon).

Does it feel like it is coming from the back?

My observation is that it happens more when you launch full boost. When it shifts into second there is a thud or bang and a surge of forward momentum. It does not always happen.

I've only ever had it occur in launch mode.

I'm not sure it is gearbox making the bang noise. It could be the Haldex or even the engine violently moving.

I know its the 7SP and suspect a wet clutch, will check it out. No idea where the massive clunck comes from but its bad.

Does your gearbox slip? etc? i will get a video over the next few days and post it up.

My biggest issue is simply not having any drive when the gearbox shifts form first into second, just goes into clutch clip and nothing happens, till you lift of the gas.

HiddenTaco
23-01-2019, 10:52 AM
I know its the 7SP and suspect a wet clutch, will check it out. No idea where the massive clunck comes from but its bad.

Thanks

Does your gearbox slip? etc? i will get a video over the next few days and post it up.

I don't think I've experianced this. Is this during normal operation or only launch?

My biggest issue is simply not having any drive when the gearbox shifts form first into second, just goes into clutch clip and nothing happens, till you lift of the gas.

That does sound concerning but again is it during normal operation or only launch? If you think of the DSG as an automatic manual gearbox then I could see why this would happen if the software thinks/knows it would cause damage if it engaged. Does it rev to the limit if you kept your foot on?

WogsRus
23-01-2019, 10:55 AM
Thanks

I don't think I've experianced this. Is this during normal operation or only launch?

That does sound concerning but again is it during normal operation or only launch? If you think of the DSG as an automatic manual gearbox then I could see why this would happen if the software thinks/knows it would cause damage if it engaged. Does it rev to the limit if you kept your foot on?

Launch Control mode only.

Ie. put the car is ASC Sport, Gearbox in sport mode, foot on break hard, floor accelerator, car hold rpm at 2500, side step the brake, and go.

Normal operation is fine unless in Manual mode, where i have had the gearbox clutch pack slip a few times under vigorous driving conditions.

Jondalar
23-01-2019, 01:47 PM
WogsRus, one question, you say your car is a Tsi but I thought all Alltrack Passats were TDI? (Haven't had a chance to test yet)

doc_777
23-01-2019, 05:32 PM
WogsRus, one question, you say your car is a Tsi but I thought all Alltrack Passats were TDI? (Haven't had a chance to test yet)

thats what I thought too

WogsRus
23-01-2019, 06:49 PM
thats what I thought too

Sorry Boys, yeah 2L TDI lol, roiling coal.

WogsRus
25-01-2019, 03:48 PM
anyone???/

Wynnston
16-02-2019, 12:35 PM
It can happen if the angle sensor is tripped in the steering wheel. Are you on a dead straight road or are you coming out of an intersection and turning? I know it sounds stupid, but I used to get the same thing with my Tiguan without launch control, if I came out of a corner too hard it wouldn't like changing from 1st into 2nd at all on full acceleration.

WogsRus
21-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Hi Wynnston

Nope, dead straight. Seams to still do it, no matter what you do.