PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on painting the VR stockies

Mrk_Mickey
03-02-2008, 08:26 PM
As I was cleaning my wheels the other day (damnit that's hard) I found HEAPS of signs of wear on my BBS 15" VR stockies!:(

Needless to say, I want to try to fix it. Either a shadowed effect or a black, or even original silver.

I can imagine how frustrated I would get trying to do it myself, especially because of their mesh design. So what would it cost to get them re-sprayed?

....Or should I suck it up and do it myself

Lorenz
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
You could get them powdercoated pretty easily and cheaply. Usually costs around $25 a corner, maybe a little bit more depending on where you go/who you know. If they are painted already, then they will need sandblasting which is a bit extra, but worth it in the long run IMO.

Thought about getting a different set of wheels, or are you sticking with the stockies for a while?

rayray086
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
^^^ Agreed. Probably quite hard to find a place to do it for that cheap but you'd be surprised how inexpensive it is. That said, you'll have to have the tyres dismounted and remounted though, but I remember you saying you were in need of tyres anyway.

Mrk_Mickey
04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow, thanks guys! That's some really pleasing news, sounds like something i'll definitely be doing!

Lorenz, whereabouts is the $25 a corner price from? I'm very interested in doing this, as I'm warming to the look of the BBS, and it's a cheap alternative for a temporary smile:) while I save my money, anyway..

On the case of new tyres, I might be getting some VR stockies WITH tyres off Dub_20v, so if that happens I have a spare set to play around with. JUST what I wanted:) I love this forum...

Lorenz
05-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Place for $25 powdercoating is over here in SA, so not much use unless you ship the wheels over, but in the end wont be worth the cost as Im sure you can find somewhere locally that will do it for the same total cost!

They are still a decent looking rim and I reckon would look awsome painted a charcoal grey, offset nicely against the lovely silver of your VR ;)

This forum is awsome, always people willing to lend a hand or answer any questions without being a c0ck about it or immature little kids which you find on alot of other mainstream forums, one of which I moderate!!

Mrk_Mickey
05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Hehehe well I am under the legal age, shhh!! I love this forum for that exact reason, everyone is more sophisticated and helpful/friendly!

Back on track...Man, if my VR was silver I'd love it even more (don't know how THAT's possiblej:) but yeah I'm still wondering whether I should do like..a charcoal with a clear, or even look into a shadowed chrome look. What do you guys think?

Jarred
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
sounds like you need a photo chopper...;) (that's not me btw)

DubSteve
05-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I shall be painting my stockies mat black and using them for track sessions eventually, inspired by Sean (Flaps) :D

ScienceVR6
17-02-2008, 04:12 PM
I painted my stockies, but i have the colorconcepts, and they are much simpler than the meshies. so im realy no help to you!

Jon_Vr6
27-02-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm actually thinking of painting my stockie bbs rims on my vr6, I got inspired by that bloke who did it with the TT wheels on here.
Mine have a few gutter marks that i wouldnt mind getting rid of in the process.
any ideas for color of wheels on a dark grey metallic vr6 ?

Mrk_Mickey
28-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd say if it was an early VR, it takes getting used to but black may look awesome with the rest of the black trim. Otherwise original silver FTW.

I think I'm gonna make mine silver if I ever get spare money..haha such a list of more important things though.

DubSteve
29-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I am going to spray mine matt black cause Sean(Flaps) said so:D I will be doing this when I put my other wheels on though:)

Mrk_Mickey
29-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Nice, Steve. Will have to post some pics when they're done. Would love to see them on a white VR for reference :D

DubSteve
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah no worries there not going to be the best they are all still going to have the gutter marks everywhere but who cares there track tyres:D

Scouser
28-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Picked my Mk 4 up on Friday, fitted the stereo on Sunday as well as the vr6 tail lights and today, tuesday I had the windows tinted and tonight I painted the wheels black.
Just a quick job, scotch brite then etch and the just black enamel to see how they look.
I think they look great, I will see how long the paint lasts as I will need some new tyres in a month or so and will wait till then to get them done properly , ie blasted and powder coatd.
i will post some pics tomorrow.

Dave

Golf Houso
28-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Picked my Mk 4 up on Friday, fitted the stereo on Sunday as well as the vr6 tail lights and today, tuesday I had the windows tinted and tonight I painted the wheels black.
Just a quick job, scotch brite then etch and the just black enamel to see how they look.
I think they look great, I will see how long the paint lasts as I will need some new tyres in a month or so and will wait till then to get them done properly , ie blasted and powder coatd.
i will post some pics tomorrow.

Dave

I used generic auto paint on my wheels and they're still on with no damamge from brake dust, with the only damage being when i dropped a wheel on its face :duh:
Its lasted for almost a year and some 5,000 odd kays, unless you did a really poor prep job there is not going to be a reason for you to re-do them for quite some time.

Scouser
29-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Heres a pic,

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/10/DSCF0052-2.jpg

Dave

WEDEL.1
29-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Hehehe well I am under the legal age, shhh!! I love this forum for that exact reason, everyone is more sophisticated and helpful/friendly!

Back on track...Man, if my VR was silver I'd love it even more (don't know how THAT's possiblej:) but yeah I'm still wondering whether I should do like..a charcoal with a clear, or even look into a shadowed chrome look. What do you guys think?

Go SILVER!

Maris

Mrk_Mickey
29-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Go SILVER!

Maris

I never bothered with this Maris...I've got a similarly styled Audi 16" set of wheels that will go on the car soon...and they're silver ;) hehe.