PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time!

Mrk_Mickey
03-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Here we are guys

NEEEARRLYYYY ready to buy me that Kicker L7 for the boot. There's going to be 12 inches of pure kicker power, so the box is pretty darn important!

Ive been told that 0.75ft³ is all that's needed spacewise for a sealed box, which is what the Kickers work best in. For the fiberglass box I'd like to make at least 0.8-1.0ft³ to give it that real great tone. So here is my decision to make (and to ask about;)):

Do I buy the custom Kicker box that it comes in?
Or do I fab up my own fiberglass/MDF enclosure to fit in the corner of my boot, like Louis' enclosure?

The Kicker box is good and guaranteed to sound good cause I've heard itj: but it's big and bulky, and not very space-saving, as my fiberglass enclosure could be. Saying that, the fiberglass enclosure could save me bootspace, but it hasn't been TOO much of a problem with an even bigger sub box in there at the moment.

ScienceVR6
03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
i wouldn't wonder to far from Kickers specs. If they say .75, do it. Trust me, i've used one, and the car won comps in sound quality.

Alot of thought has gone into the specs, so folow them.

As for MDF VS FG, get the sub, and work out what sort of depth you have to work with.

Mrk_Mickey
03-02-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm talking MDF front face as it's flat, and fiberglass attached to it to complete an enclosure. Something like Louis' enclosure (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=11260)

HOLEIN1
03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
is the kicker enclosure ported or sealed?

what sort of enclosure would you want? ie. ported or sealed?

Mrk_Mickey
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
I was sure it was sealed, and would make a sealed box, except I think I found a picture with the Kicker enclosure being ported

The_Hawk
03-02-2008, 09:43 PM
You could port louis's creation :D

Bubu
04-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Follow manufacturers specs because they want their eqipment to sound good not only so other people would buy it when they hear it but you will buy from them again.

I have seen many great subs sound terrible because of bad enclosure design. I have also seen crap subs sound really good.

Just try building your own at worst you will have wasted a bit of money and time.