PDA

View Full Version : Polo GTI 2.0l tuning

GTI187
06-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Hi all,
I'm keen to get started on tuning the new car but am having trouble getting any useful info about the ecu that's been used.
I've included a photo of the sticker and hope this thread will be a good place to start a discussion about the best method to access the ecu bin files and start the process of tuning this little beast!
Having recently come from tuned saab, I'm finding the lack of information and open source tuning tools a bit of a shock!
Any progress I'll post in this thread for anyone else who's as keen as I am to tune their own polo...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2018/12/c611c614afe41dc767d5b7cf3f278067-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger73
07-12-2018, 06:06 AM
There’s no open source tuning for VAG cars.

Options are either a piggy back unit or a flash tune. Some tuners will sell a handheld unit so you can load files yourself.

About the closest you’ll come to open source is Burger Motorsports JB4 piggy back with map 6 which is user adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharkie
07-12-2018, 09:05 AM
It is my understanding (I could be wrong though) that the engine in the Polo GTI is the same (just slightly higher state of tune) as that of the other Gen3 EA888 2.0T 132TSI engines (ie Tiguan 132TSI). These have had no real interest from the tuners so far to "enhance" so the fact that the Polo GTI runs it will make a big difference I think. Perhaps soon a host of tunes for these cars will be out with some decent gains.

Unfortunately what it also means is that the Polo GTI will not (easily) tune to the same level as the Golf GTI tuned .... :( Pity it is not simply a detuned Golf GTI engine :frown:

Makes it quite a bit less appealing to me now ....

GTI187
08-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately what it also means is that the Polo GTI will not (easily) tune to the same level as the Golf GTI tuned .... :( Pity it is not simply a detuned Golf GTI engine :frown:

I know exactly what you mean, it's a bit of a pity!

On the plus side it seems that there are some existing tunes out for the equivalent Audi models using the same engine and ECU combo...
From my understanding though (correct me if I'm wrong) this is the Gen.3B engine that runs on the Miller type cycle. Running higher compression and thus somewhat less potential for easy out of the box tunes...
I am waiting to get my CAN-bus reader back that I loaned out and then I'll try and read out the bin file and see how I go.. I'll keep this thread updated with any meaningful progress or information which comes to hand. ;)

Sydneykid
12-12-2018, 01:02 PM
My understanding is the B Cycle engines are for the Tiguan only.

The VW design (Brubach) is actually reverse Miller Cycle, the measured (physical) compression ratio is not the actual (when the engine is running) compression ratio as the inlet valves are closed early. This creates a partial vacuum at the end of the inlet cycle which results in a reduced compression ratio in the combustion cycle.

Cheers
Gary

h100vw
12-12-2018, 09:27 PM
To the best of my knowledge the ecu hasnt been cracked yet as its different to other engines of the.current generation.

Once it is cracked, itll be game on.

Dont hold your breath though.

The VW design (Brubach) is actually reverse Miller Cycle, the measured (physical) compression ratio is not the actual (when the engine is running) compression ratio as the inlet valves are closed early. This creates a partial vacuum at the end of the inlet cycle which results in a reduced compression ratio in the combustion cycle.

Cheers
Gary

Sydneykid
13-12-2018, 09:47 AM
On the tuning front, it will be interesting to see how Burger go about adapting the JB4 to the Mk6.

On the DSG, my MK5 definitely learns driving preferences. If I get in after my wife has been driving it for a day or so it takes to while to relearn to suite my style.

Cheers
Gary

maxrob200
13-12-2018, 10:48 AM
maybe like seat memory settings, VW could look at individual driving preferences settings. just a crazy thought

DuaneDibbley
30-12-2018, 12:40 PM
maybe like seat memory settings, VW could look at individual driving preferences settings. just a crazy thought

Have this in our Octavia RS. It's very handy!

It's a shame to read this thread and find nothing has been made available yet :(

I'm looking at swapping up to a GTI but assumed it was a Golf GTI engine in a lower state of tune so tunes would be easy. A shame it's not the case. Makes a 2nd hand RS 169 look a bit more appealing. Having two of the same car in the garage would be weird though, right?

Sharkie
13-02-2019, 02:54 PM
Not that I am now going to buy a new GTI, but in looking at bits for my new R I came across this CAI for the new Polo GTI ... 2018 VW Golf Mk6 POLO GTI 2.0T Cold Air Intake Syst (https://www.mst-performance.com/products/vw-pg01)

I bought a MST CAI for our Golf TSI and its pretty good, so this would be worth a look. Claimed 6kw/15NM in it :)

MaXX
15-02-2019, 11:54 PM
Anyone had experience with this MST mob ? A CAI would be great, but they are still pretty thin on the ground. This is the first one I have seen.

vw_alex
19-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Pity it is not simply a detuned Golf GTI engine omg, I had no idea this was the case. So disappointing. Whats the main differences between the polo and golf 2.0L engines? Completely different internals?

Benz
23-02-2019, 07:11 PM
​From Wiki:
The Mk6 Polo GTI was launched in 2017.[33] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Polo#cite_note-33) It features a slightly detuned version of the 2.0 litre turbocharged engine from the Mk7 Golf GTI. It produced 197 bhp and was capable of getting to 60 mph in under 6.7 seconds. It was launched with only 6-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission available.
i know Wiki isn’t always correct but hopefully this time it is.

Lucas_R
08-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Anyone had experience with this MST mob ? A CAI would be great, but they are still pretty thin on the ground. This is the first one I have seen.

My brother bought one of these (MST intake for Polo GTI 2.0T) and also the turbo muffler delete kit (which is a brand new product also) and it arrived today. I'll give him a hand to install it over the next few days and will report back with feedback and photos if anyone is interested.

Sharkie
08-03-2019, 01:45 PM

My brother bought one of these (MST intake for Polo GTI 2.0T) and also the turbo muffler delete kit (which is a brand new product also) and it arrived today. I'll give him a hand to install it over the next few days and will report back with feedback and photos if anyone is interested.

I have a MST CAI on the 110TSI Golf and have other bits on my Golf R. Turbo muffler delete for the R from MST arrived yesterday and will go on this weekend. All their parts so far has been of exceptional quality.

MaXX
08-03-2019, 08:53 PM
Definitely interested Lucas and Sharkie, looking forward to reading the results. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated :)

Lucas_R
11-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Definitely interested Lucas and Sharkie, looking forward to reading the results. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated :)

Well i can tell you it is a very nicely made airbox with good quality silicone pipes, and the airbox fits perfectly. The turbo muffler delete is also nicely made and fitted perfectly too.

You can choose to run the airbox with or without the lid if you want some extra noise, but without the lid it will let suck some hot air in.

There is definitely some nice induction and turbo noise with the new setup. I have a few pics i will upload shortly.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/03/02c4d51c5c9ef27f52c5be09f9bf31c3-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/03/f313b5dc18c7a09d4151f4fec361a55d-1.jpg

MaXX
11-03-2019, 11:34 AM
That’s great Lucas, thanks so much for sharing. Did the install require any cutting or drilling, or it was a straight bolt-in with the factory mounting points ?

Lucas_R
11-03-2019, 03:20 PM
That’s great Lucas, thanks so much for sharing. Did the install require any cutting or drilling, or it was a straight bolt-in with the factory mounting points ?

Everything bolts straight up to the factory mounting locations, no need to drill or cut anything.

deadcruiser
16-05-2019, 06:51 PM
Just wondering what you did with the hose leading into the stock airbox? Does the aftermarket intake have a place for it, or did you just plug the hose? Apologies if my explanation makes no sense, I’ll take a photo of the hose I’m talking about if that helps haha

Waldip
22-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Good Day Gents

Are there any updates on the Polo GTI owners? I am looking at replacing my ST200 with a Polo GTI but not sure about the tune-ability of the motor as yet, so far it seems that the polo has a smaller turbo compared to the Golf and also higher compression, has anyone done software on the Polo as yet? or even a stock dyno run to see what the torque and KW graphs look like?

Also, does the R600 intake not fit on the polo? after all it is the same MQB platform and the same EA888 motor just a GEN3 and not a GEN2.

looking forward to your response.

Sydneykid
28-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Sent an email to George over the weekend and Burger now have a JB4 available for the Polo Mk6 GTi. On the default Map 1 with 3 psi boost more than standard it adds 30 whp and 45 ft lbs on Pump 95.

Group 8: JB4 Gen3B Beta – Burger Motorsports, Inc. (https://www.burgertuning.com/collections/volkswagen/products/group-8-jb4-gen3b-beta)

There is bit more to be gained on Pump 98, but as other have found with this model the small intercooler is an issue. As a result an intercooler upgrade is a must for much more power.

Cheers
Gary

Waldip
28-05-2019, 08:40 PM
thanks for the reply I appreciate it, I also heard the cooler is small, wonder how it compares to the 1.8gti cooler, I suppose the best option would be to get the IS20 or IS38 turbo and bolt it on, it should supply more air at lower spool and cause less heat than a maxed out IS18... if you are willing to change the turbo. Cooler upgrade sounds like a good idea either way.

Waldip
28-05-2019, 08:45 PM
I see now on the JB4 site it states that the PGTI does have a IS20, I thought it used an IS18. very interesting

Sydneykid
29-05-2019, 12:25 PM
It depends on how much power you want to make, how much higher rpm you can live with (before it makes power) and how much "lag" you will tolerate. Personally I like the instant throttle response of the standard turbo, so adding 50 bhp and 80 ft lbs of torque (on Pump 98 ) without sacrificing anything else is attractive. A slightly larger intercooler doesn't add much noticeable "lag" but even a slightly larger turbo sure does, for my tastes anyway.

Cheers
Gary

Waldip
29-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Yeah I absolutely agree, there is always that sacrifice. What I dont yet understand is why the power is so much down compared to the Golf GTI? Not so much the KW but the Torque. If it's the same motor with the same turbo why is the torque down so much? I understand that the heatsoak seems to be an issue but the Golf the same turbo makes Way more torque when tuned. What does the PGTI boost stock?
But I must say even though the power is not there that the Golf makes, I am still impressed and happy with the results that the JB4 produces at this stage.

Lucas_R
29-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Yeah I absolutely agree, there is always that sacrifice. What I dont yet understand is why the power is so much down compared to the Golf GTI?

VW have limited the power and torque on purpose with the ECU software to separate the Polo GTI from the Golf GTI to help justify the additional cost of the Golf.

Just like a few years ago with the Tiguan 2.0TSI, the 125TSI, 132TSI and 155TSI all had the same engine and turbo, but power and torque was reduced in the cheaper models to help differentiate them along with equipment levels etc. But with aftermarket tuning, the 125TSI could have the same power as the 155TSI.

Waldip
29-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I hope this is the case with the Polo also, the Golf makes good kw and insane torque with software

Sharkie
29-05-2019, 04:16 PM
It is my understanding (I could be wrong though) that the engine in the Polo GTI is the same (just slightly higher state of tune) as that of the other Gen3 EA888 2.0T 132TSI engines (ie Tiguan 132TSI). These have had no real interest from the tuners so far to "enhance" so the fact that the Polo GTI runs it will make a big difference I think. Perhaps soon a host of tunes for these cars will be out with some decent gains.

Cheers
Gary

Unfortunately the Polo GTI does not have a detuned version of the Golf GTI engine. It is in fact an uptuned version of the current Tiguan 132TSI.

I wouldn't say it wont tune as well as the Golf, but everything points to NO at this point I'm afraid.

Waldip
29-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Yeah it seems like its the same motor as the Tiguan, from what I gather the only difference between the Polo motor and the Golf motor is that the Polo uses the new Budack cycle and I think the Golf uses the Adkinson cycle. The Budack cycle closes the intake valves before the piston reaches the bottom of the cycle on light driving that effectively reduces the capacity of the motor but on full throttle the cams shift and the intake vales stay open longer for performance, where the Adkinson cycle on the Golf leaves the inlet valves open longer and only closing the inlet valves when the piston is already on the way up. That is my understanding at least.

If that means you can extract more power from the Golf because of this I do not know.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Sydneykid
31-05-2019, 10:33 AM
I haven't played with a 2.0l Polo GTi yet, but so far every other Gti and R (Golf and Polo) that I have played with simply have different boost curves to give the required power and torque. When I match the boost curves they make the same power and torque. For example add back the missing 2 to 3 psi of boost to a 169/350 Golf and they make 180/370, the boost curves match. Add ~4 psi to the 180/350 and they make 200/400 same as adding another 4 psi (making 6 to 7 in total) to the 169/350 and they make 200/400 exactly the same.

Not saying that there aren't other differences but most of the power and torque differences come from the original boost levels. Which, provided the turbo handles it, can be tuned over.

The Brudack cycle is simply camshaft timing, which changes with rpm, for example the early closing of the inlet valve doesn't happen at higher rpm. Has no real impact on power or torque.

Cheers
Gary

ozmale
13-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Well i can tell you it is a very nicely made airbox with good quality silicone pipes, and the airbox fits perfectly. The turbo muffler delete is also nicely made and fitted perfectly too.

You can choose to run the airbox with or without the lid if you want some extra noise, but without the lid it will let suck some hot air in.

There is definitely some nice induction and turbo noise with the new setup. I have a few pics i will upload shortly.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/03/02c4d51c5c9ef27f52c5be09f9bf31c3-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2019/03/f313b5dc18c7a09d4151f4fec361a55d-1.jpg

Can I ask where you bought the CAI kit from. I am about to take delivery of my 2019 polo GTI. Love the sound of CAI's.
There seems to be a real lack of places to buy go bits for the Polo, "ECS Tuning" dont even have a listing for the Polo.

Chris

MaXX
17-08-2019, 11:35 AM
So I’ve bitten the bullet and have ordered an exhaust, CAI, ECU and DSG tune for my Polo. It looks like the exhaust is the slowest part in arriving at 4-6 weeks away. FYI I’ve gone with the following.

Milltek GPF/OPF back exhaust with black tips - Milltek Sport Performance Resonated GPF/OPF-Back Exhaust System for Volkswagen (http://www.millteksport.com/resonated-gpf-opf-back-exhaust-system-ssxvw505mp.html)

Leyo CAI kit - LEYO Motorsport | Products - Cold Air Intake System (https://www.leyo-motorsport.com/mk2-tiguan-intake-system) (disregard the link saying Tiguan, it’s for the Polo)

Etuners retune for ECU and DSG - Custom Tuning - Etuners Motorsport (https://etunersmotorsport.com.au/services/custom-tune/)

Anyway, I’ll keep you posted on progress and results as they come to hand. I want a dyno run done when stock for comparison, but probably won’t be re-running between stages and will only do a final dyno run once everything is complete. The only other engine part I’m planning at this stage is a turbo muffler delete, but that’s not easy to get yet and won’t affect power much anyway.

It’ll be interesting to see how this all goes. I’m trying not to get ahead of myself, but am hoping for well more than a stock Golf 7.5 GTI. At hundreds of kilos less, that’ll make the Polo a proper stealth bullet that eats Golf GTI’s and scares R’s...and that was the plan from the beginning :)

After that, some decent rubber and maybe some brake attention. Not planning to track it regularly, so probably just some fast road tyres, some slotted rotors, and fast road pads.

ozmale
18-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Very keen to hear how you go with the exhaust. Having a look at the Milltek looks like one of the things they have done is just removed the centre resonator. Also looks like you could fit it yourself.

As for the CAI, I made my own, doesn't look to pretty but certainly works, sounds great.

Chris

MaXX
19-08-2019, 12:49 AM
That’s on you R ? Looks fine to me :)

edit: saw the picture file name. Forget I asked !

ozmale
19-08-2019, 11:26 AM
That’s on you R ? Looks fine to me :)

edit: saw the picture file name. Forget I asked !

No, That photo is from my Polo GTI. I do not have a CAI on my Golf "R"

Chris

MaXX
20-08-2019, 06:27 PM
Looks like a setback, production issues with Milltek. More likely the end of September now :(

Lucas_R
23-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Have you guys seen the Polo GTI that Underground Performance tuned this week? Impressive gains - it would be a quick little car.

Dylan's Polo GTI AW on-board with UGP as... - Underground Performance | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/undergroundperformancetuning/posts/2444998315733707)

Lucas_R
23-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Can I ask where you bought the CAI kit from. I am about to take delivery of my 2019 polo GTI. Love the sound of CAI's.

These parts were purchased direct from MST in USA. (sorry for the late reply - haven't been on here much lately).

MaXX
18-09-2019, 12:00 AM
So, booked for getting the CAI and engine/DSG tunes done in the first week in October. Hopefully that is enough time for the exhaust to arrive, but will go ahead without if necessary as that doesn’t significantly affect the basic tune (post OPF so it’s more noise than action.)

That is stage one. After we do that and have a poke around and see what might fit (turbo downpipe with high flow cat, bigger turbo etc.) there will likely be a stage two :)

ozmale
18-09-2019, 10:21 AM
So, booked for getting the CAI and engine/DSG tunes done in the first week in October. Hopefully that is enough time for the exhaust to arrive, but will go ahead without if necessary as that doesn’t significantly affect the basic tune (post OPF so it’s more noise than action.)

That is stage one. After we do that and have a poke around and see what might fit (turbo downpipe with high flow cat, bigger turbo etc.) there will likely be a stage two :)

Be interested to see how it all goes. From my understanding no one has broken the code as yet to tune the 2019 polo gti engine. But doesn't mean it wont happen

MaXX
18-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Mines the first in Adelaide I think, but it’s been done in Melbourne before. Time will soon tell :)

h100vw
19-09-2019, 09:01 PM
We have tuned 3 at UGP. Check our Facebook page. Stage 1, 2 and DSG

MaXX
06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
So, due to a few issues the plan wasn’t exactly followed this week. Some bad, some good, but overall I’m a pretty happy camper.

The Good

- The Leyo cold air intake went on. Looks and sounds great.
- A new model turbo muffler delete that fits is now available from Leyo, so that went on too.
- ECU tune done
- DSG tune done
- I got some cool billet shift paddles from MODE fitted. Hot bling, sure, but they do make manual shifting much easier. Pics soon.

The Bad

- Milltek have been a complete PITA to deal with, so we have cancelled the order for the exhaust. I won’t bore you with the details, suffice to say you shouldn’t get a different story every time you make contact with a company. The silver lining is I’ll probably just go full turbo back instead, and the UGP guys have demonstrated the benefits there. Thanks for the info h100vw.

The car dyno’d at 125kW ATW when standard, and now makes a touch over 147kW ATW. Given that the final dyno run was done under some pretty challenging conditions (a 35 degree C ambient day meant keeping the intake temps under 50 degrees C was impossible) it’d probably read closer to 160 on a friendly day. Zooming around today it definitely feels like that too...quite the angry little ant. And having the “vroom chshh tututu” noises through the CAI makes me laugh every single time :) I’m a very happy boy.

It was quite well behaved and is doing it easy, so plenty of scope to go further. A full exhaust and tune is the next obvious step, and we will see how it’s going for fuelling and so on after that. Then turbo, injectors, fuel pump...the usual slippery slope. TBH I might look at decent tyres and brakes next though, that’s one area VW saved money compared to a Golf GTI.

Many thanks to Callum at Haines Mechanical and Detail for doing all the work, and the guys from Leyo and Etuners for great products to work with.

maxrob200
09-10-2019, 10:18 AM
- I got some cool billet shift paddles from MODE fitted. Hot bling, sure, but they do make manual shifting much easier. Pics soon.

The MODE paddles look quite interesting. Since you have done the hard yards, may I ask which models fit the current Polo GTi?

MaXX
10-10-2019, 04:40 PM
MODE Shift+ DSG Paddle Shifter (OEM Fit) suit VW Golf R/GTI (MK7/MK7.5 – MODE Auto Concepts (https://modeautoconcepts.com/collections/mode_shift_plus_paddle_shifters/products/mode-shift-plus-dsg-paddle-shifter-vw-golf-r-gti-rline-polo)

maxrob200
11-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Thanks MaXX,
They are a proper fitment too not stick-on :)

Saul
13-11-2019, 06:00 PM
@MaXX

Anymore progress on this, keen to read more!
I just joined this cool little community:banana: --> Hello fellow Polo &or VW Nutters! (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f98/hello-fellow-polo-vw-nutters-128887.html)

MaXX
13-11-2019, 10:47 PM
@MaXX

Anymore progress on this, keen to read more!
I just joined this cool little community:banana: --> Hello fellow Polo &or VW Nutters! (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f98/hello-fellow-polo-vw-nutters-128887.html)

Hi Saul. I haven’t progressed beyond what I’ve already shared, just hooning around enjoying it as it currently stands. It isn’t boring yet, that’s for sure :) When I do get inspired I’m still not sure whether to do brakes and tyres before chasing more power though, as both paths have appeal. I’ll be sure to share whatever happens.

Saul
14-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Bummer, ah well, thanks for updating! :cool:

ozmale
20-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Has anybody had any experience with "Racechip"
Performance chips – Chip tuning by RaceChip for VW Polo VI (AW) 2.0 GTI (147KW) | RaceChip (https://www.racechip.com/shop/vw/polo-vi-aw-from-2017/2-0-gti-1984ccm-200hp-147kw-320nm.html)

I have always used "Superchip Blufin" for my tunes, (5 cars in all) however they dont make a tune for the AW GTI Polo as yet.

We seem to have very few tune options for our Polo GTI's

Chris

Saul
21-11-2019, 12:57 AM
That sux that there's very few options, hope it gets better in the next 12mth+!
No experience with that mob sorry...

Lucas_R
21-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Has anybody had any experience with "Racechip"
Performance chips – Chip tuning by RaceChip for VW Polo VI (AW) 2.0 GTI (147KW) | RaceChip (https://www.racechip.com/shop/vw/polo-vi-aw-from-2017/2-0-gti-1984ccm-200hp-147kw-320nm.html)

I have always used "Superchip Blufin" for my tunes, (5 cars in all) however they dont make a tune for the AW GTI Polo as yet.

We seem to have very few tune options for our Polo GTI's

Chris

I would argue that you would be hard pressed to notice 20hp and 30nm in what is already a reasonably powerful little car. Why don't you contact Pacortech in Ingleburn who are dealers for Underground Performance in Melb (who have tuned several current model Polo GTI's with good results) and see if they can tune it.

Dylan's Polo GTI AW on-board with UGP as... - Underground Performance | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/undergroundperformancetuning/posts/2444998315733707)

ozmale
21-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Lucas,

Thanks for that info. Will have a look.

Chris

Babyface
07-04-2020, 10:43 PM
Hey guys, im about to take delivery of a 2020 GTI.

I want to do a few mild mods to her, looking at getting the ECU done so its putting out a bit more power, but also looking at exhaust and intake.

Ive been looking at who or where to go for the ECU flash / upgrade any one got any suggestions. Brisbane based. My car was meant to be here 3 weeks ago but got bull****ted too by the now no longer employed member of the dealership I got the vehicle through. I should expect it end of month.

Cheers!

Lucas_R
08-04-2020, 09:32 AM
Hey guys, im about to take delivery of a 2020 GTI.

I want to do a few mild mods to her, looking at getting the ECU done so its putting out a bit more power, but also looking at exhaust and intake.

Ive been looking at who or where to go for the ECU flash / upgrade any one got any suggestions. Brisbane based. My car was meant to be here 3 weeks ago but got bull****ted too by the now no longer employed member of the dealership I got the vehicle through. I should expect it end of month.

Cheers!

German Auto Dynamics are on the Gold Coast and are dealers for Underground Performance. Underground have tuned several of the current Polo GTI's with great results (see link below) DEALERS — Underground Performance (https://www.undergroundperformance.com.au/dealers) and German Auto Dynamics - Home | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GermanAutoDynamicsAUSTRALIA/)

Otherwise you could get in touch with Tarmac Engineering who are closer to you - looking at their FB page they have tuned a 2019 Polo GTI recently. Tarmac Engineering - Home | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/TarmacEngineering/?ref=py_c&eid=ARChZQy-7MhAUGZ94uzqjyRK4CLTPI-2-eNUqBTrisSW9sjCzsVOIqtGMwD9kz8Li50SZSrfFZfHX9mt)

Babyface
30-04-2020, 10:03 PM
German Auto Dynamics are on the Gold Coast and are dealers for Underground Performance. Underground have tuned several of the current Polo GTI's with great results (see link below) DEALERS — Underground Performance (https://www.undergroundperformance.com.au/dealers) and German Auto Dynamics - Home | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/GermanAutoDynamicsAUSTRALIA/)

Otherwise you could get in touch with Tarmac Engineering who are closer to you - looking at their FB page they have tuned a 2019 Polo GTI recently. Tarmac Engineering - Home | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/TarmacEngineering/?ref=py_c&eid=ARChZQy-7MhAUGZ94uzqjyRK4CLTPI-2-eNUqBTrisSW9sjCzsVOIqtGMwD9kz8Li50SZSrfFZfHX9mt)

Thanks mate. Got something sorted just awaiting car to arrive. It’s clearing customs as we speak.

mostlyeels
01-05-2020, 01:12 PM
Thanks mate. Got something sorted just awaiting car to arrive. It’s clearing customs as we speak.

Post back once you've got it done. I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Babyface
04-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Post back once you've got it done. I'd be interested to hear how it went.

Will do, by the look of things I will need to look at getting the exhaust sorted as well, the opf may cause some hinderance in sound, unsure about performance.

Also does anyone know, if there is a better solution than running a pod filter for CAI?

Lucas_R
04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Also does anyone know, if there is a better solution than running a pod filter for CAI?

See this post - probably other options by now too: Polo GTI 2.0l tuning (https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f242/polo-gti-2-0l-tuning-125236-post1290085.html#post1290085)

Babyface
07-05-2020, 01:49 PM
Ok guys got some good news!

Car has arrived, pick up next week. Now for the Good news. The 2020 AW Polo GTI DOES NOT HAVE the OPF! Confirmed this today with Volkswagen. Due to us having “rubbish fuel” they don’t put it on the models we get.

So 3-4 weeks will have booked in for DSG/ECU tune and Turbo Inlet pipe with Tarmac Engineering. Will keep you all posted etc.

Lucas_R
07-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Ok guys got some good news!

Car has arrived, pick up next week. Now for the Good news. The 2020 AW Polo GTI DOES NOT HAVE the OPF! Confirmed this today with Volkswagen. Due to us having “rubbish fuel” they don’t put it on the models we get.

So 3-4 weeks will have booked in for DSG/ECU tune and Turbo Inlet pipe with Tarmac Engineering. Will keep you all posted etc.

Good news all round!!

Babyface
11-05-2020, 04:42 PM
Tomorrow is delivery day!

I have emailed Eventuri directly as i know they only do carbon fiber for the Mk7.5 GTI / R and i know there are a lot of polo drivers out there that would be interested in their stuff.

I have enquired with them doing something like this as the polo current stock air intake is a waste where you could be getting a whole lot more cold air in.

https://www.eventuri.net/wp-content/uploads/Eventuri-Audi-RS3-Stage-3-Intake-7.jpg this kinda thing they do for the AUDI but for the polo and golf as well. Even if its just the inlet to the stock air box, then carbon pipe work to the turbo inlet pipe. It’s all about minimising heat. Not to mention looks sexy af and a tad costly.

If they can do something like that would be epic.

Sydneykid
13-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Tomorrow is delivery day!

I have emailed Eventuri directly as i know they only do carbon fiber for the Mk7.5 GTI / R and i know there are a lot of polo drivers out there that would be interested in their stuff.

I have enquired with them doing something like this as the polo current stock air intake is a waste where you could be getting a whole lot more cold air in.

https://www.eventuri.net/wp-content/uploads/Eventuri-Audi-RS3-Stage-3-Intake-7.jpg this kinda thing they do for the AUDI but for the polo and golf as well. Even if its just the inlet to the stock air box, then carbon pipe work to the turbo inlet pipe. It’s all about minimising heat. Not to mention looks sexy af and a tad costly.

If they can do something like that would be epic.

Want to kill some myths, for ~ $60? Try one of these, one probe to measure the ambient air temperature and one to measure the air temperature inside the airbox (not the temperature of the airbox itself but the temperature of the air inside the airbox). Go for a drive and watch the 2 temperatures. If you sit idling for a few minutes the air temp in the airbox will rise, be higher than the ambient. But as soon as the car moves the temp quickly drops to ambient and stays there as long as you are moving. That has been my experience with 3 x Golfs and 1 x Polo so far.
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2020/05/616cg64DroL_AC_SL1041_-1.jpg

Cheers
Gary

Babyface
14-05-2020, 08:50 PM
Hey Gary will def give that a go.

Well i have to say impressed with the car is an understatement. The thing is a rocket.

Getting ceramic coating done in 3-4 weeks. Better than what they were offering factory so putting my tune off a little bit longer which isn’t a big deal.

I got in touch with Eventuri and they have had a bit of demand for carbon fibre intakes etc for the polos both over in the UK and some here. So they are looking at doing something for the AW. They do one for the Audi just not for the polo.

I have to say, was a solid choice getting the Polo. Have to get the dealership to look at this clunking sound I’m getting in the right front strut when i hit minor potholes or just bumps in the road. Drive line is fine, checked bolts for struts and they are all intact.

Lucas_R
15-05-2020, 09:29 AM
Have to get the dealership to look at this clunking sound I’m getting in the right front strut when i hit minor potholes or just bumps in the road. Drive line is fine, checked bolts for struts and they are all intact.

Have a look at your front springs and make sure they havent left the spring spacers in there. These spacers are installed at the VW factory and raise the front of the car up a bit for transportation so they dont risk scraping the front bumper etc. This happens quite often with the Golf GTI's and R's (has happened to 2x of my mates). Not sure if they use them on the Polo GTI's but easy enough for you to check.

Like this: VWVortex.com - Removing the OEM spring spacers up front (https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5302058-Removing-the-OEM-spring-spacers-up-front&p=71637351&viewfull=1#post71637351)

Babyface
19-05-2020, 10:44 PM
Have a look at your front springs and make sure they havent left the spring spacers in there. These spacers are installed at the VW factory and raise the front of the car up a bit for transportation so they dont risk scraping the front bumper etc. This happens quite often with the Golf GTI's and R's (has happened to 2x of my mates). Not sure if they use them on the Polo GTI's but easy enough for you to check.

Like this: VWVortex.com - Removing the OEM spring spacers up front (https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5302058-Removing-the-OEM-spring-spacers-up-front&p=71637351&viewfull=1#post71637351)

Will have to check, its still riding rough only one the left side. Ive noticed a few rattles etc so ill get them to have a look at that tomorrow when they put the front and rear dash cams in.

Getting the paint protection done first up, getting 2 x lots of Fireball Red Butterfly done. So will post the before and after shots.

Funny thing is, the things i asked not to get as extras, the car came with. The red interior dash is colour matched to the car. Plus I asked for no sun roof and now have that. Did the numbers and they put themselves out of a few thousand.

Ive been talking to Mahmoud from Eventuri and they are going to be starting on a kit for the AW polo. They have been getting asked by a heap of euro tuners, so i guess watch this space?

maxrob200
30-07-2020, 03:00 PM
Lucky you... does that mean you've got the 18" wheels and LED lights and Sports Seats as well as they are part the Sunroof Options pack

v00d00xAU
13-10-2021, 07:37 PM
Mines the first in Adelaide I think, but it’s been done in Melbourne before. Time will soon tell :)

You dont happen to drive a blue one? Ive seen/heard one zipping around St Claire (potentially at the same daycare)?

Im dabbling in the idea of similar mods for mine.

libr8d
03-01-2023, 01:57 PM
Hi all I thought I'd kick this thread off again. I've had a 2019 Mk6 polo GTI (2.0 EA888) since new and decided to modify it in 2022. Mods include a stage 1 tune (TVS engineering installed by Rob and team at Volkstech in Melbourne), dump pipe and eibach springs (25mm drop). I went for the springs so I could keep the active damper setup for drive modes. Car now has 221kw and 475nm and handles really well. Has the mods installed at 18K and has now done 37K with absolutely no problems. Loving the car as it sounds and drives really well. Has anyone else had similar mods? Videos of car below (cold start and idle and driveby)

https://youtu.be/X1FXJEk1nVg

https://youtu.be/j1n1aDbnzcI

MK7DU
22-01-2023, 05:52 AM
TVS also tuned the 2.0 TSI Gen.3-B (so called 'Miller engine: 200hp/207hp/190hp) giving a stage 3 with Wagner tuning intercooler and LM440 Stage 3 Upgrade Hybrid Turbocharger (https://ladermanufaktur-turbos.com/product/vw-polo-gti-aw-2-0tsi-gen3b-upgrade-turbo-lm440-audi-40tfsi/) easily making 380+HP. For more then 380hp you need bigger exhaust / downpipe:

https://ladermanufaktur-turbos.com/product/vw-polo-gti-aw-2-0tsi-gen3b-upgrade-turbo-lm440-audi-40tfsi/

54943 (https://ladermanufaktur-turbos.com/product/vw-polo-gti-aw-2-0tsi-gen3b-upgrade-turbo-lm440-audi-40tfsi/)

Physiotherapist007
13-06-2023, 02:19 PM
I have a great reconditioned and tested Polo GTI JB4 Group 5 tune + wireless mobile kit : Polo GTI 6c for sale. RRP $999 AUD. Adds 45 bhp on 95 RON fuel. Almost 3 years warranty left from Burger Tuning . All offers considered. Email me on physio_007@hotmail.com or in this forum if interested.