PDA

View Full Version : Registration in Queensland

Lefty1
02-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Hello,

I have just moved to Queensland and driving a 5 cyl find the way registration fees are worked out in Queensland a bit odd. I have just written to the Hon John Mickel MP, regarding this issue. I imagine I am not alone in paying extra to drive a socially responsible vehicle because it has 5 cylinders and is placed in the more expensive 5/6 cylinder registration fee bracket.

I hope if others were to write to the minister he may reconsider how registration is charged on vehicles which in my opinion should be in the cheaper registration bracket.

Regards

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Motor_vehicles/Registration_fees/

Email to Minster:

Transport@ministerial.qld.gov.au

The Hon John Mickel MP
Minister for Transport

Dear Mr Mickel,

We have just moved back to Queensland and of course have started to transfer our two cars over to Queensland registration. I find it odd that the price of motor vehicle registration in Queensland is derived from the number of cylinders a motor vehicle has. One of our cars is a European 5 cylinder and so the registration is set in the 5 / 6 cylinder bracket despite the fact it is only a 2.5 Litre motor.

I find it strange that a car with a 2.5 Litre motor can cost as much to register as a 4.0 Litre and yet another car with a 3.2 Litre motor but in a 4 cylinder configuration is put into the cheaper 4 cylinder bracket. I am not alone in this as a number of small European vehicles with motors in the 2 - 2.5Litre category are 5 cylinder machines.

I am thinking it would make more sense to look at the cc capacity in line with the number of cylinders of a motor vehicle when deciding registration fees.

The_Hawk
02-02-2008, 09:59 PM
It would be a hard line to draw what "class" a vehicle falls into when deviding registration. Should it be cc's, should it be cylinders, should it be CO2 emissions, power to weight? (similar issues for P plated drivers in NSW not being able to drive V8 or Turbo/Supercharged cars regardless of what they actually are... a good example being the Dihatsu Copen which sports a "powerful" 698cc TURBO! putting it in the can't drive class for P platers).

Picking number of cylinders was most likely the easiest solution at the time. While I'm not saying it's right or wrong, where do you draw the line in a way to please everyone. If you allow leeway for "negotiation" there will always be a minority that screw the system, at least this way it's cut and dry.

It can be argued that revamping the system by using a breakup based on CC's would make sense in this case, but reality would most likely be that most vehicles will fit in similar categories based on number of cylinders. That and you need to remember that any change to the way things are calculated would come at a massive cost to set up the system to handle it. There would need to be massive outcry (or extra potential $$ in the RTA (or QLD equivalent) to make it viable.

99gti
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
God luck mate. I eagerly await to see what kind of response you get to that.

Jmac
02-02-2008, 10:34 PM
2.5 what u running a T4???

DaveMack
03-02-2008, 01:20 AM
3.2 litre 4 cylinder? Can't say I've heard of a 4 cylinder much over about 2.2 litres before (in a car).

Puzzled. :?

Dave

The_Hawk
03-02-2008, 08:57 AM
3.2 litre 4 cylinder? Can't say I've heard of a 4 cylinder much over about 2.2 litres before (in a car).

Puzzled. :?

Dave

Subaru have a 2.5L 4Cyl they use in their cars, in fact the wifes Outback has one in it.

The firs tI remember the engine was when the WRX first got popular and P platers and other young people couldn't afford to insure them, Subaru came out with the Impreza (sp?) RS, basically a WRX minus the 2L tubro plus the 2.5L NA engine.

I thought Porsche had a 3.2L 4Cyl, but a quick and dirty search is only turning up a 3.0L 4 Cyl:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Porsche_engines

docjames
03-02-2008, 10:53 AM
And presumably you have a volvo or a focus XR5????

Jmac
03-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Yes you are right mate 4 cyl Subara 2.5 and Porsche have a 944 16v which is 3 litre. This motor is the most powerful standard 4cyl, well it was back in the day, stock of course. My cozzie would have ate it.