PDA

View Full Version : The Kombi Wave Factor

BigWhiteT3
02-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I would like to discuss something that I have noticed after having driven my T3 for a while now. This may have something to do with the lovely glass of Annies Lane Shiraz currently rolling around in my glass (and my head!), but here goes...

Because of my enthusiasm toward the marque, I tend to give a wave (or a toot) to any other Kombi owners I see on the road. Around my area (Rouse Hill, NSW) almost all of the splitty owners wave back, mostly because I know many of them through Kombi Rescue (Steve Muller). When we get to Bays, most wave back. T3s, definitely the same. As soon as we get to T4s (and more so with T5s), however, the type of owner seems to change from enthusiast to the car purely being a tool of the trade.

If you own a T4 or T5, do you find this? Hopefully not. It's a great feeling to share some kind of connection with other people on the road, even though you don't know them.

Maybe T4's are still too new and most owners only use them as workhorses...

Welcome any comments.

Ash

The_Hawk
02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
IT's true and not limited to the Kombi and Transporters.

When I had my Type III I would get (and give) lots of flashed and waves to lots of other VW's on the roads, now that I'm in a Mk3 Golf I see lots of people in other VW's and wave at many, rarely do I get a response.

Sign of the times or just that the VW is really a "peoples" car and the people own them not because of a love of the dub, but because it provides economic and reliable transport. Hopefully thats a good thing for the brand, if nothing else it means more spare parts in times to come! ;)

WEDEL.1
02-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Its purely an aircooled thing.

When driving our T4 I wave or flash my headlights at other T4 drivers, most wave back.

Maris

99gti
02-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I saw a Mk4 Golf like mine today. I noticed his number plate DUB-18T and I gave him a beep and a flash but I dont think he saw me through the barricades.

I have seen this 'howdy' you speak of but only really in an aircooled as Maris said earlier. Perhaps - and hopefully this atmosphere of family is growing into watercoolers as well.

BigWhiteT3
03-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I guess the T3 is right in the middle. Mine is watercooled, but of course many were air cooled. I got it as it still has the traditional rear engine, rear drive layout, but with better reliability than the earlier models. I perceived it as being last of the traditional Kombis - even though its got a face only a mother could love.

Anyway, strange looks from other Kombi drivers won't stop me from spreading the love ;)

shogun2
03-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Keep doing what you are doing. I think it's great! I love my T5, and when travelling through the outback I only saw a couple, but they have presence on the road that no other van has. A wave was nearly always returned.
I have also noted when seeing another T5 on the road in Adelaide that there has been a bit of "mutual admiration" of each other's vehicles.

jets
03-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I think it's something to do with rarety. When I owned my mk2 GTI people would wave, but with my T4 there are so many business vans running around where the drivers are not VW people but just want to get the job done.
My mk5 is the same, too many around & some of their drivers would next time buy a Mazda or Subaru, not faithfull veedub enthusiasts.

anarchycamp
03-02-2008, 07:46 PM
The whole wave thing is going to get less and less common as VW grows here. When i first got my MkV GTI i would maybe see 1 every few weeks and would always get a wave back, these days if i waved to every GTI driver my hand would fall off after a few minutes :D So ive given up on that but i generally wave or offer some recognition to older Water Cooled and most Air Cooled models as they seem to be the enthusiasts rides. Either way...its all good..brand is growing....means more parts when i want to rebuild a MkV GTI in 15 years time :D

majimbo
24-06-2008, 01:16 PM
I dont think it is, maybe some ppl new to VW and not really enthusiasts are more common in later model VW's, although i myself own a T4 i have always been a VW fan and do share an interest in all VW's not just vans or golfs or watercooled or aircooled, all of them. I don't live there tho, so i'm not one of those ppl ur referring to, lol :), but i agree with the guys that i don't expect other drivers to be, just glad the popularity is growing and hopefully this will mean cheaper parts and maintenance lol

Silver Caravelle
24-06-2008, 03:11 PM
I find with my T4 Caravelle most people in a Caravelle will respond to a wave or visa versa. Even had T5 Multivan owner wave to me! Of course I am soon to be a T5 owner in the next couple of weeks....but I will still wave to the T4 Owners as well :nana:

Cheers,

Scott

99gti
24-06-2008, 03:20 PM
I think loon knows how to do it. I seem to recall him jumping out in fornt of a Seat at homebush a while ago.
I think they guy thought he was gonna get car jacked!

blutopless2
25-06-2008, 09:25 AM
Its purely an aircooled thing.

noooo.. you have to get em going... there are many in our area who we wave to in both aircooled and watercooled vdubs... first they sort of look at you strange then after a while they get into it and wave back.