PDA

View Full Version : Car seats in the Passat - 3 across?

Jimi
06-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Our first is due early next year and now my attention has turned to a car seat.

Other than the usual capsule v rear facing/convertible decision, I am also thinking ahead a bit as we tend to keep our cars for a long time. Specifically, can we fit three car seats across the back if we ever go that far?

Rear legroom is plentiful in the Passat but width, while reasonable, isn't on the same level as a large car like the old Commodore.

There are some narrow car seat options but even then these are probably best staggered (i.e. having a rear facing in between two front-facing seats). As kids get older I figure they can graduate to a booster seat which may save some space as well, particularly if they're flanked by two convertibles.

Has anyone had any experience with this using modern car seats in the B7 or B8?

This is all I know so far:
Want To Fit Three Car Seats Across The Back? Britax Has You Covered! (https://www.britax.com.au/tips-advice/want-to-fit-three-car-seats-across-the-back/)
The Magic Number: Three Across - InfaSecure (http://infasecure.com.au/blog/the-magic-number-three-across/)

iampivot
06-11-2018, 10:17 AM
We've had two booster seats with a grown up in the middle in the back of a B7 wagon, and while it's not a joyride, it's possible. I'd say that if the booster seats are staggered with the infant seats (eg booster - infant - booster or infant - booster - infant) it would work. But then again a Tiguan Allspace has a third row, and it's not that much more expensive than the Wagon. It's probably the option I'd go for today. We got the wagon due to the larger boot space, you can fit a pram lengthwise in it, and have plenty of space next to it.

HiddenTaco
06-11-2018, 12:44 PM
I believe you can.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f248/can-arteon-fit-3-child-seats-122845.html?highlight=

From what I understand the Passat is wider internally.

Jimi
06-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Thanks - that thread's a good read. I think I'll focus on the 44cm-wide options and try to test some of them in the store carpark when I have the car in a week or so.

Jubas
06-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Hrmm - be careful.

We have a B8 passat wagon and a brand new convertible Britax (second from top model I think) and it's a tank. I had hoped that we'd be able to fit two adults + car seat, but it would be a really, really tight squeeze. When looking at new models, I mistakingly measured the gap between the two arm rests on each side, thinking that the car seat would have just been restricted by that. What i *should* have done was measure the distance between the iso-fix points in the seat. As it is, there's no way we can fit three car seats of this variety in the back (rear-facing version that is)

Jimi
06-11-2018, 03:26 PM
I have seen that too, hence my question about what might work. I think anything less than a Q7 would struggle with those beefy Britax models.

I’ve also been advised to measure across up near the shoulder line as that’s where the wings of the seats can be widest.

In any case, I don’t think three of any type of seat will fit when strapped in perpendicularly with the isofix points and top tether points. The top tether points are about 40cm apart - narrower than any kind of seat - meaning the outer two seats will probably need to be offset slightly to fit. This isn’t the end of the world apparently.

Another measurement I’ve already taken was to determine how wide a seat could be if mounted flush in one of the isofix points that still allowed the centre seat (the ‘20’ of the 40/20/40) to fold down freely. The magic number was 44cm. Surprisingly the Tiguan was 46cm. Again, because the centre seat is narrower than the outer ones, you’d need to move the outermost seats outwards (ie offset them from the isofix points) if you were to fit one in the middle as well.

Finally, the bench itself is a bit over 120cm wide, which tells me that you’re really depending on the rear facing/forward facing staggering and at least one seat being something small like a booster to help you fit it all in.

When I get the car I’ll measure it up more and take some photos of what I come up with.

Jubas
07-11-2018, 01:36 PM
I’ve also been advised to measure across up near the shoulder line as that’s where the wings of the seats can be widest.

*if* you are using a rear-facing britax seat this measurement isn't particularly useful. On ours we use the isofix points at the base of the seat and there's a large gap of wasted space up around the shoulder line.

I'm not sure how you can offset the outer seats? The amount of pressure required on the isofix 'buckles' at the base of the seat is sufficient enough that any offset would be removed as the seat was pulled over by the straps tightening. I didn't realise it at the time, but the 'tightness' of those buckles was quite high!

Jimi
07-11-2018, 02:54 PM
I figure you'd have to abandon isofix and just strap it in with the seatbelt. This seems to be what HiddenTaco has done with their Arteon (see Can the Arteon fit 3 child seats? (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f248/can-arteon-fit-3-child-seats-122845.html?highlight=) - the seat closest to the camera isn't bang in line with the car's headrest).

Jubas
08-11-2018, 08:26 AM
I figure you'd have to abandon isofix and just strap it in with the seatbelt. This seems to be what HiddenTaco has done with their Arteon (see Can the Arteon fit 3 child seats? (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f248/can-arteon-fit-3-child-seats-122845.html?highlight=) - the seat closest to the camera isn't bang in line with the car's headrest).

Yes, I think you're right. I'd always just assumed that the isofix points were safer, but I wonder if that's the case now, and if I could get away with not using ours.

ylzhao
31-12-2018, 09:42 PM
I d ask your missus to choose all 3 car seats, and install/place all 3 in the back of the car. You will see for yourself. Some figures on books don't tell.

I have one huge titanium something installed in middle of my b8 wagon, both sides can fit adults but far from comfortable.