PDA

View Full Version : Art3on Art Car

tigger73
14-10-2018, 08:43 PM
New Arteon Art Car built by VW apprentices puts out 360kW / 600Nm and runs 3.9s 0-100km/hr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvl45Aj9H8Q&t=14s

A few articles:

Volkswagen builds new Time Attack challenger (https://www.themotorreport.com.au/car-article/motor-news/volkswagen-builds-new-time-attack-challenger-119760.html)
Volkswagen Arteon time attack car specs revealed (https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/volkswagen-arteon-time-attack-car-revealed)
VW Has Cooked Up A 483bhp Arteon Time Attack Car (https://www.carthrottle.com/post/vw-has-cooked-up-a-483bhp-arteon-time-attack-car/)

The ART3on Facts and Figures

Donor Vehicle: Arteon R-Line 7-speed DSG 4MOTION AWD

Performance: 360kW/600Nm on 98 RON fuel

Acceleration 0-100km/h: 3.9 seconds (uphill – Luddenham Raceway)

Engine:

RacingLine Stage 3 turbocharger
RacingLine Stage 3 Intake set including R600 airbox
RacingLine oil management system
RacingLine intercooler upgrade
RacingLine high pressure fuel pump upgrade
Milltek Sport Cast exhaust downpipe & high flow sports catalyst
TVS / Harding DSG software - increased torque holding, 2 step launch control, manual over ride

Suspension: Custom Bilstein Clubsport suspension set-up

Brakes: APR Big Brake Package

Mandatory Safety: Roll cage, racing seats with harness, fuel cut-off system, fire extinguisher

Tyres: Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo semi slick track tyres

Diagnostics and testing: MAHA Australia

Artwork: Custom design by Simon Murray AKA 'KADE', applied to vehicle wrap by Pivot Creative

Dutch77
15-10-2018, 08:04 AM
The use of the Motorsport wheel is a let down (of course) but overall great to see the VW Aus guys getting to have a bit of a play like their Worthersee counterparts.

Sharkie
15-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Anybody who is thinking of tuning their VW should pay attention to the parts used in the engine of this car, all Racingline from Harding Performance.....

VW Convert
15-10-2018, 11:40 AM
I wasn't speeding officer, must have been someone in a similar car! :-)

tigger73
15-10-2018, 01:53 PM
The use of the Motorsport wheel is a let down (of course) but overall great to see the VW Aus guys getting to have a bit of a play like their Worthersee counterparts.

Agree. Some lighter wheels probably wouldn't have been out of place but understand given it's a VW promo car they want to use their own wheels.

Anybody who is thinking of tuning their VW should pay attention to the parts used in the engine of this car, all Racingline from Harding Performance.....

Yes it's a decent set-up with a range of quality parts used for sure.

I wasn't speeding officer, must have been someone in a similar car! :-)

There's no arguments here the car is pretty unique... and quick!

HiddenTaco
15-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Nice.

One thing to note, they didn't change any of the engine internals.

tigger73
15-10-2018, 07:35 PM
One thing to note, they didn't change any of the engine internals.

Correct stock internals - just bolt-ons to get to 360kW/600Nm (claimed).

I'm still waiting to see what lap time it did around Eastern Creek.

Guy_H
06-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Anything you need to know about the project please ask - was involved from the start of the build.

tigger73
06-11-2018, 04:38 PM
Nice to see you back here Guy :)

Did the Arteon actually make it around Eastern Creek at the World Time Attack?

I saw a lot of publicity before the event but nothing after...

Guy_H
07-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Nice to see you back here Guy :)

Did the Arteon actually make it around Eastern Creek at the World Time Attack?

I saw a lot of publicity before the event but nothing after...

Yes it did - 1/2 lap warmup and one hot lap only - damp track and did 1.47xx seconds which was pretty good considering. We are still guessing the car is over 1500kgs. Got a lot of potential, the car has a slippery shape & the pro driver commented on it acceleration & top end.

Dutch77
07-11-2018, 10:39 AM
What are the plans with it - I'm presuming VWA own it? Will it continue for promo work/further track development or will we never see it again?

Guy_H
07-11-2018, 11:28 AM
It's going to be used for passenger / customer ride days (it's on one today) and displays around the country. It may evolve for next year, but no plans set as yet. Yep, proudly owned by VWA

Dutch77
07-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Sweet - that's great then (and fingers crossed it can evolve next year and maybe has a better run at WTC).

I've seen what VWofA (America) puts together each year for the various shows which contributes to a thriving VW scene. Last year was a bunch of Golfs, this year they've assembled three Jettas. Maybe our Arteon will inspire for next year (although I haven't checked if they sell it there, presumably they would!).

Guy_H
07-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Sweet - that's great then (and fingers crossed it can evolve next year and maybe has a better run at WTC).

I've seen what VWofA (America) puts together each year for the various shows which contributes to a thriving VW scene. Last year was a bunch of Golfs, this year they've assembled three Jettas. Maybe our Arteon will inspire for next year (although I haven't checked if they sell it there, presumably they would!).

Yes it is great to see such a project. - a huge percentage of people inside VWA are real car people & love different things. The enthusiasm internally is great!

tigger73
07-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Yes it is great to see such a project. - a huge percentage of people inside VWA are real car people & love different things. The enthusiasm internally is great!

It surprised me that such a project got up with collaboration between the aftermarket tuning companies supplying parts and expertise and VW apprentices.

I didn’t think VW would be seen “officially” endorsing doing such things to one of their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy_H
07-11-2018, 12:40 PM
It surprised me that such a project got up with collaboration between the aftermarket tuning companies supplying parts and expertise and VW apprentices.

I didn’t think VW would be seen “officially” endorsing doing such things to one of their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very much like the "Worthesee Apprentice Projects" - you will see they have collaborated with the aftermarket quite a few times & Racingline products sitting on them. I certainly wouldn't call them "officially endorsed" but its great to see it regardless!

Guy_H
07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
https://youtu.be/_lQTBZRO_Ko

Dutch77
07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
Haha - maybe not officially endorsed, perhaps 'unofficially acknowledged'.

I think we're still a way off VW dealers officially selling tuning products from that other company as per the USA (and yes I am aware it is a lower tuned product, at a premium price, but a warrantied product always helps - pretty sure the dealers involved would be loathe to leave their clients 'stranded'),

Here's to ART3on 2.0 next year. With a better set of wheels. :P