PDA

View Full Version : Present: Scirocco - The Story

deemoE36
01-02-2008, 10:23 PM
The Volkswagen Scirocco is a sport compact produced by German automaker Volkswagen from 1974 through 1992. The model was highly successful, and helped bolster VW's reputation. It will be revived with a third generation in 2008.

History

Volkswagen began work on the car during the early 1970s as the replacement for the aging Karmann Ghia coupe, and designated it the Type 53 internally. As a cost-saving method, VW choose to use the A1 chassis shared with the Rabbit and Jetta to underpin the new Scirocco, although most every part of the car was re-engineered in favor of a sporty-drive, and the model's all-new styling, penned by Giorgetto Giugiaro, was sleeker and sportier than that of either the Golf (Rabbit) or Jetta. The model went on sale in Europe in 1974 and in North America in 1975.

A heavily re-designed "MKII" variant went on sale in 1982, although it remained on the MKI platform and a more mild, mid-cycle redesign occurred in 1984, which included few outward changes over the 82' model. A leather interior, power windows and mirrors, air conditioning, and a manual sunroof were options for all years.

MKI models featured a range of four-cylinder engines with displacements from 1.1 to 1.7 litres, all featuring a single-overhead camshaft and 2-valves per cylinder. The MKII generation (Type 53B) brought with it a new 1.3 litre base engine and an optional 1.8 litre, double overhead camshaft motor featuring 4-valves per cylinder. Although the 16-valve 1.8 brought added performance to the range, it proved a somewhat questionable choice, as late A2 Golf GTIs were available with a more powerful 16-valve 2.0 litre motor. This was, however, not questionable at the time since the 2.0 litre 16V motor did not show up in America until 1990, two years after the demise of the Scirocco in the US. Still, the European 1.8 16v that was fitted into the Scirocco GTX 16v model developed 139 BHP, surpassed only by the A3 generation 2.0 16v with 150 BHP.

Scirocco sales continued until 1988 in the United States, 1989 in Canada, and 1992 in Germany.

The New Scirocco

In June of 2006, VW officially announced[1] production of a new Scirocco model at the Autoeuropa assembly plant in Palmela, Portugal. Volume is expected to be 100,000 cars per year, with the first Scirocco rolling off the line in 2008.

A concept of the 2008 Scirocco was shown at the 2006 Paris Auto Show, called the Iroc, which was then renamed Scirocco. It is said to share more in spirit and name rather than form with the original design. The 2008 Scirocco will receive the option of two gasoline engines: Volkswagen's TSI twincharged straight-4 producing 168 hp, and the 200 hp 2.0T FSI engine currently featured in the MkV Golf GTI, the Passat and Jetta.

In April 2007, VW America's vice president, Adrian Hallmark, stated that they did not want to bring the Scirocco to North America since it would likely have a negative effect on GTI sales.[2] It was later stated that the final decision would be made in 2008 by Martin Winterkorn (Volkswagen's CEO), not Volkswagen of America.

roccodingo
03-02-2008, 12:41 AM
You should also note that Scirocco 1 actually preceeded Golf 1 by approx 6 months...:cool:

From Information I have, the Australian evaluation Scirocco is still in existance in Melbourne, although it needs repair work...;)

phaeton
03-02-2008, 07:20 AM
WOW cool info roccodingo :o

bsting
03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Cool info ^^^ The mk1 handles better than a golf too. Coupe Vs Car no contest...Only 800,000 made ever - 500,000 mk1's 300,000 mk2's
Original mk1 light setup 74 - 75 - fugly, looks like a Capri - this look did not last long

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/SCIROCCOEARLYFRONT-1.jpg

Second go 75 - 78 - still with chrome bumpers but looks way better with quads rear brake lines run through the cabin under the carpet on the passenger side (easy to get damaged)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/mk1SCIROCCO77RACECARGOLD-1.jpg

Facelift 79 - 81 black plastic bumpers - new indicators and guards and other trim updates - common for the b-pillar to be black - rear brake lines run under the car

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/REDSCIROCCO1-1.jpg

deemoE36
03-02-2008, 06:13 PM
nice pics bsting, i think i like the 75-78 model the most. not too round, not to square

balkanac
06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
I've never seen the first one before. It really does look like a ford!
I think i'd have the last one, seems that they have ironed a lot of issues in it, but still wouldn't mind owning either one! Very nice cars, i can't wait for the new one to come out, im getting the R32-engined version!!!! :D

Lukev85
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
I've never seen the first one before. It really does look like a ford!
I think i'd have the last one, seems that they have ironed a lot of issues in it, but still wouldn't mind owning either one! Very nice cars, i can't wait for the new one to come out, im getting the R32-engined version!!!! :D

i agree, it looks like a mid 70's cortina.

the 75-78 models looks the nicest, its such a shame that there arnt many of these jems around here in australia

bsting
07-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah they are hot! Really hard to find in nz too:( you would need two of them to save one i reckon.

The best way to describe the mk1 is with the terms - Prefacelift or Facelift the earlier square headlight one is not really the shape that
people remember (not many made) After mid-76 (i think) all mk1s should have a single wiper arm too, It works ok in driving rain, but you have to fit twin wiperblades to it to get the best out of it (well i did anyway) And then you are fighting the rust on them,they pretty much rust everywhere!

Another issue is as far as i can gather the mk1 does not have a laminated windscreen (Its safety glass) So if it breaks you will be fitting the same type of crap windscreen to it and small cubes of really sharp glass will be falling out of the dash forever! VW did make a Scirocco GTI version too (1.8 Kjet 5speed) In small numbers and in RHD, one came up for sale in Scotland last year. More triv..I heard through the grapevine that a mint TS (1.5 high compression engine 4speed) sold on Ebay for $10g US a few years back. Quite a popular coupe in North America in its day.

TS Prefacelift - note it has double wipers my guess is a '75

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/SCIROCCOTS-1.jpg

US version with those ugly side marker things

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/02/ORANGESCIROCCO1-1.jpg

roccodingo
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Wipers went from twin to single in 75, Think the TV lights changed in 76 as the "Scirocco CUP " cars all had the things in the 76 series.

Laminated screens were available on some models ( came as an option on the 78's and later according to the sales brochures i have online )

Largest capacity engine in a MK 1 was the 1.7 litre for the US market, the Euro GTi's had the 1.6 as per the Golf GTi of the same time. ( got 2 here ) the top of the range was the "Storm " with the factory leather interior trimming, Zender front spoiler, GTi running gear ( 5 sp c/r box and 110 Hp 1.6 L engine). IMO the best of the Mk 1 models ever made.

Later 80 & 81 bodies are definately better against the rust, cut a car up in Seattle in 05, the box sections were still plastered inside with waxoil, but they dont salt the roads there either...:rolleyes:

A Mk 1 was found in the US last year with only 993 Miles on the odometer, from the info of Vortex, VW America had purchased the car for inclusion in their museum..Pics showed original tyres, plastic still on the seats, doors etc.. the seller was asking $20K US

goodfella
15-02-2008, 06:50 PM
hi scirocco lovers... heres the latest goss....

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080214.022/vw-scirocco-new-info-out

look out for it at the Geneva Motor show, but with plans for it to be in Paris motor show in Sep and South africa Motor show in Oct, I fear we will miss out!

Golf Loon
15-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I`d classify em as Mk1 and Mk1.5. The True Mk2 Scirocco is from 1982 to 1992 and is longer and looks like a Delorean. Thats the one most people remember and the one I love the most. Its also the best looking. Clearly.

the scotsman
17-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I Think the mk1 looked better, built up one with a hot 16v 15" bbs and hand controls for a customer years back, looked so beautiful, always wanted one ever since, always thought the later ones looked a bit too chunky.