PDA

View Full Version : Modding a TSI

klose
25-09-2018, 07:40 PM
I'm looking at an Amarok purchase and don't mind the TSI at all looking at the numbers. Haven't been able to get behind the wheel of one as there's not many around but I'm looking at the tuning scope of these... Would there be anyone in Melbourne that would be able to set it up with a catless dp, tune etc? Has anyone driven them back to back with a diesel? Just concerned about it being able to move ok down low too.

tigger73
25-09-2018, 08:15 PM
Talk to Sharkie - Sharkie's TSI Amarok Build (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f130/sharkies-tsi-amarok-build-91559.html?highlight=)

Sharkie
26-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Have a look at APR's website APR - Enhancing the Driving Experience (https://www.goapr.com/)

And specifically APR 2.0 TSI Amarok ECU Upgrade (https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_amarok.html)

Although a few tuners are claiming to have tunes for the TSI Amarok, not too many appear to be worth the money.

My Amarok was used by APR as the test bed for the tune development and we discovered many many interesting things along the way.

A stock TSI Amarok actually makes more kw than the BiTDI stock (even though VW claims differently), torque is a bit less, but the way power is delivered is similar to a GTI, so the TSI revs out to 6000r/min beautifully and in stock form is quite a bit faster than any of the TDIs.

Once a tune goes on (196kw!), it becomes GTI rivalling fast. 0-100 in mid 6s if you can nail the 2nd to 3rd shift (which is a slow shift unfortunately) and overtaking in 3rd is awesome (about 4s 80-120km/h).

Given its low entry price (only 2nd hand these days) it is the performance bargain of the Amarok range. You would have to buy a current V6 (starting at $55K) and chip it to be as fast/faster.

In the end I stopped at Stg 1.5 on mine, what I used it for and its ability to wheelspin at will made it unnecessary to chase more power. An exhaust (which I may still yet do) will add a bit more power (without needing a retune) and most importantly sound. The stock exhaust has no nasty bends in it (unlike a typical FWD/AWD exhaust) just a restrictive CAT really.

My Amarok is 5 years old (only 36000km) next month and we still love it. It will be part of the family for a while yet and will move on to my son at the end of next year probably. Have a look at that thread Tigger linked as it has info on other mods as well. Latest was a set of OEM Durban 18" wheels, custome refurbed in satin black, weighs a bit less than the X5 wheels too!

Any exhaust / DP would have to be custom made as none of the tuners have had enough volume to justify developing an exhaust for the TSI Amarok.

klose
26-09-2018, 07:57 PM
Ok well I'm sold then... I'm definitely doing a custom DP and intake on it as long as someone has the ability to extract power from it.

Sharkie
27-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Ok well I'm sold then... I'm definitely doing a custom DP and intake on it as long as someone has the ability to extract power from it.

Find 1 to test drive, and look out for the options from the factory. Few were specced up from the factory unfortunately, waited 9 months for mine, but I ticked every option box (and added a lot more after delivery).

Auto lights and wipers and MF Steeringwheel were the best (most common) options and if you look around should be out there.

Also when the DP is done (almost unnecessary due to the very good design of the stock DP) make sure the O2 sensor is correctly positioned as it will throw a check light otherwise and the tunes out there never bothered to cater for that. Simply too few people who wanted tuned TSIs ….. :(