PDA

View Full Version : 2015 b8, which fuel additives I can use?

ylzhao
03-09-2018, 11:19 PM
Just wondering do I need to use the additives, ie. Injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner after nearly three years use.

Or just two tanks of BP 98#?

Thanks fellows.

Wynnston
04-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Just wondering do I need to use the additives, ie. Injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner after nearly three years use.

Or just two tanks of BP 98#?

Thanks fellows.

I'd recommend running 98 all the time, but 95 would do every day. Injector cleaner won't do very much and regardless, it's part of a normal service (unless you're doing that yourself). A couple of tanks of 98 won't do much at all IMO.

So in short, if you sevice it yourself then run some cleaner through (it won't do much), otherwise, leave it for the person that next services your car.

ylzhao
04-09-2018, 09:37 AM
I'd recommend running 98 all the time, but 95 would do every day. Injector cleaner won't do very much and regardless, it's part of a normal service (unless you're doing that yourself). A couple of tanks of 98 won't do much at all IMO.

So in short, if you sevice it yourself then run some cleaner through (it won't do much), otherwise, leave it for the person that next services your car.

thanks for sharing Wynnston. I do service every year as requested by the booklet at dealership. it is running at 98# all the time (thanks for 711 fuel app with mock gps). the reason i asked, as i noticed recently it is running with bit lack of responding with accelerating.

Just_Westy
10-09-2018, 10:55 AM
thanks for sharing Wynnston. I do service every year as requested by the booklet at dealership. it is running at 98# all the time (thanks for 711 fuel app with mock gps). the reason i asked, as i noticed recently it is running with bit lack of responding with accelerating.

Not sure about the 711 98 fuel now but when I delivered petrol for a living I knew that the Caltex 95/98 had exactly the same additives in it. I've delivered the additives seperately to be blended a few times to a terminal. The 711 98 back then was just a base Shell 98 without the good additives in it.
There is no difference between 98 and 95 as far as performance goes unless your car is tuned specifically for 98 or unless it has twin timing tables where 98 fuel will stop it reverting to the lower table.

For mine I just used Big Brand 95 fuel once I got rid of my performance cars. Never had any fuel issues.

JustCruisn
10-09-2018, 06:00 PM
I always run 98, 7-11 brand, but I noted some detonation on acceleration, just a smidge mind you.
I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through and it has completely fixed the detonation issue. No more marbles in a can.
About $4 on special at super cheap.

So yes the cleaner stuff can be good.