PDA

View Full Version : GTI Class - Phillip Island Racing Club

GT3
31-01-2008, 10:43 AM
There are moves underway to develop a GTI Class with the Phillip Island Auto Racing Club (PIARC), Dean at Volkspower is currently discussing the proposal with PIARC. It will come down to the level of interest and getting sufficient numbers to make it a reality.

Volkspower has developed a driver training program, together with John Bowe Driving, to assist drivers to progress (together with their cars) and meet the requirements of the class. The purpose of the driver training program is to ensure all participants have sufficient skills and are track ready. It has been designed for those with no prior track experience or high performance driver training, as well as those who might require a refresher course. The following courses have been scheduled:

Course Type: Volkspower Program – Level 3 (Introductory Performance Course)
Course Venue: Sandown Raceway, VIC
Course Date: Saturday, 23rd February 2008

Course Type: Volkspower Program – Level 4 (High Performance Driving)
Course Venue: Sandown Raceway, VIC
Course Date: Saturday, 11th May 2008

For further information contact either John Bowe Driving on 03 9886 0522 or Dean at Volkspower on 03 9808 6777, or email Dean at parts@volkspower.com.au to obtain a flyer (entry form for above courses below). The flyer also includes information on additonal training programs scheduled for Calder Park, Winton and Sandown circuits.

Entry form:

http://www.drivegti.com/Volkspower_drive_day_booking_form.pdf

For those with prior track experience and/or accredited driver training, the courses may not be a prerequisite, but individual circumstances, such as previous training, will need to be discussed with Dean.

These courses and entry to the GTI class are open to all GTI, Audi, VW owners in all States. The Phillip Island Circuit is ranked as one of the best in Australia, and finally, our own GTI class and club days. Let's get behind it!

zedub
31-01-2008, 09:38 PM
so much want.. but wont be in Melbourne til early march (moving there)

Peter Jones
03-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Sounds like a good refresher for someone who hasn't been on a track for nearly 20 years, I think I'll give Dean a call on Monday.

Pete

Peter Jones
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Just signed up for the L3 course as a long overdue refresher. Wish me luck!

Who else is coming along?

Pete

GT3
15-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Just signed up for the L3 course as a long overdue refresher.

Good stuff Peter. I've done the courses previously and was surprised by how much I learnt. They're skills you'll have for life, and they fill the void (and lack of) any mandatory defensive and performance driver training.

Peter Jones
16-02-2008, 07:54 AM
I did a similar course, probably about 20 years ago, with HAC and VWCV.

It was one of the most memorable VW events ever.

Gary Collis (Wolfsburg) was on the course with me and scared the carp out of the instructors with the way he can toss a Kombi through the corners!

At one point Gary knocked over a couple of hats in a straight slalom and yanked the wheel to go back and straighten them. He turned so hard that he got the Kombi up on two wheels and drove it that way for about 20metres. Nobody including Gary knew what to do. Eventually Gary figured out which way to turn to drop it back down again. We thought we were going to have to go and pick up a Kombi off it's side.

Gary's 2.0L Kombi was faster than my 1835cc Type 3 down the straights but I was a bit quicker in the corners.

I remember a MKII doing the big loose right in front of me a one stage, I had to do some gardening to get around him.

Pete

Peter Jones
16-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Oh and another fun one I did was with Telecom out at Calder park. I managed to get my commodore wagon right to the top walls of the Thunder Dome. You have to be going 180+ to get up there and the track is lumpy as hell.

I don't think Telstra do the same courses now but they do run 4wd courses for the people that need them.

It was good being able to put the fully loaded company car through it's paces in a closed environment.(It was a Telstra specific course that allowed for loaded vehicles because all our cars had cargo barriers and everything is tied down.)

At the time I was driving up to 1000km per day for work and I think courses like this and my little bit of track experience really helped keep me alive out there on the roads.

Pete

Peter Jones
05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Anybody signed up for this weekend?

I've love to go but the head is still off my car after my Phillip Island adventure.

Pete

Peter Jones
19-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Next Level 4 day in Victoria announced:Volkspower - Exclusive Event
performance circuit drive day

Have you wondered what it would be like to drive your car on a race track and see what it (and you) can really do?

Then do whatever it takes to make it to the Volkspower Performance Circuit Drive Day at Sandown Raceway on Saturday 30th August.

Volkspower have arranged a circuit drive day utilizing the expertise of one of Australia’s leading driver training providers - John Bowe Driving. This course will give you heaps of track time with professional instructors who will be available to help you improve your skills and help you to get the most from yourself and your car.

Course Outline
Registration: Chat with other participants while you enjoy tea/coffee & biscuits
Safety Discussion: Skid Control & Prevention, Circuit Etiquette
Circuit Inspection: get to know the track
Instruction Sessions: Instructors available to help you improve your skills.
Lunch (supplied)
Instruction Sessions (continued): More time for you to make improvements.
Timed Laps to give you a reference of your track day performance
Certificate Presentation
Please note* Course format may vary due to safety conditions
http://www.drivegti.com/Volksp...1.pdf (http://www.drivegti.com/Volkspower%20HP%20program%20intro%202008-1.pdf)

It's on again - looks like fun,

Pete

Jarred
19-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Augie 30th? I reckon I'll be keeping that free!

Who else will come for a spin?

EDIT: Bugger it's not cheap is it :o

GT3
19-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Bugger it's not cheap is it :o

Keep in mind that it includes driver training, personal tuition by pro race car drivers, track time etc etc.

Peter Jones
19-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Augie 30th? I reckon I'll be keeping that free!

Who else will come for a spin?

EDIT: Bugger it's not cheap is it :o

Nope. Remember there's only a max of about 20 cars out there for a training day, usually the cost of the track hire, ambulance tow truck etc is spread accross a much bigger field on a race day.

This is a good chance to learn, there's plenty of instructor time and you get to practice each corner before you have to put it all together.

You might want to start with a slower course though if this is your first one, the stage 4 course is full noise, helmets on stuff.

Pete

Water Boy
19-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Come to a PIARC day :biggrin:

ausgolfer
20-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Very tempted, anyone else considering seriously??:driver:

Peter Jones
20-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Very tempted, anyone else considering seriously??:driver:

Got to check my calendar, but yeah I'm thinking of going again.

The car's had a lot of work since I did the Level 3 course with them earlier this year.

I've got a few laps under my belt now too.:driver:

Pete

Jarred
20-07-2008, 04:57 PM
After giving my car a thrash up black spur, I don't think my car is up for something like this. Downdraft carbs just don't like corners..:( + other stuff which makes it probably NQR to track yet. And a Level 4 course, in all honesty, will probably be too much for a beginner like me ..:)

I'll come and watch though, if any VWW guys will be tracking :D

GoLfMan
20-07-2008, 05:32 PM
id think about doing it if my mk1's up for it :)
otherwise dads TDi will be getting a hiding ;)

Oneofthegreats
20-07-2008, 08:06 PM
Downdraft carbs just don't like corners..:(

I've got to say in all honesty, that's crap. How many top quality race car's have there been with down draft carb's.

Porsches, Madza's, Monaro's, Torana's(Weber's & Holley's), Falcon's, Golf's, Alfa's, Commodore's, Beetle's, Ferrari's, Lamborgini's, Masarati's, Jaguar & the list goes on & on & on. (That's all I can think of at the moment.)

It all comes down to the setup & the tuner.

Peter Jones
20-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Jarred's worried about the orientation of the float leading to fuel starvation.

With a pasat manifold the pivot of the float is in line with the car which can lead to fuel starvation in long high G corners.

Having said that though I have the same setup and I've not experienced this happening. I run an electric pump and pressure regulator though.

I usually take freeway onramps at the limit of adhesion so I think you're probably safe Jarred.

Petehttp://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/07/weber3236-1.jpg

Jarred
20-07-2008, 08:54 PM
That's what I was getting at Pete.

Up the black spur there are a few long, hard corners (hairpins), that you take at about 70k/ph, and pretty much near the "apex" (is use apex loosely here) it would start to starve, and start "bunny hopping".

This wasn't even pushing it that hard, I mean, I wasn't going slow, but not as fast as I possibly could have (Given bigger gahonez), and suffice to say, you noticed it...

Setup and tune isn't perfect, esp, different air temp/pressue up in the hills, affects tune a bit (I popped and farted SO much..:?) But no worries, I have a solution in mind ;)

Peter Jones
20-07-2008, 09:15 PM
That's what I was getting at Pete.

Up the black spur there are a few long, hard corners (hairpins), that you take at about 70k/ph, and pretty much near the "apex" (is use apex loosely here) it would start to starve, and start "bunny hopping".

This wasn't even pushing it that hard, I mean, I wasn't going slow, but not as fast as I possibly could have (Given bigger gahonez), and suffice to say, you noticed it...

Setup and tune isn't perfect, esp, different air temp/pressue up in the hills, affects tune a bit (I popped and farted SO much..:?) But no worries, I have a solution in mind ;)

Electric pump would probably fix that.

Pete

ausgolfer
20-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I popped and farted SO much..:?

Very revealing Jarred.

Peter Jones
20-07-2008, 09:40 PM
(I popped and farted SO much..:?)

Yeah , that's probably more diet related. :nana:

Pete

Jarred
20-07-2008, 09:46 PM
It was high altitude an it put lots of presure on my bowels...

I mean um...:rolleyes:

Nah you know what I mean, the car obviously.

I have something else I'm planning. SO... I'll have a whole new bunch of problems soon :D :banana: