PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil temp

jayel86
03-08-2018, 07:00 PM
What sort numbers are you guys seeing for oil temp?? I get range from 102C° - 106C°. Seems excessive high. Is this normal?

Umai Naa!!
03-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Very normal.

slin
04-08-2018, 03:48 AM
98 - 114
your numbers are perfect

DreamensioN
04-08-2018, 09:33 AM
I was a bit surprised aswell when I first got into the Arteon and saw the oil temps. My Golf R would sit around 86C all the time. I'd only ever see close to 100C when going up a mountain range spiritedly. I think one of the highest I ever saw was like 102C during a few laps on a track for one of those VW "happy laps" days.

So imagine my surprise when getting into the Arteon for the first time and driving it home from the dealer, and going along the highway just cruising and I see 102C.

I "think" this is because the Golf R had a hardcore oil cooler on it, specifically designed to keep oil cool when you stick your foot into it. At normal driving this kept the oil temps right down. The Arteon either doesn't have an oil cooler, or has a much smaller one - hence the temp difference.

jayel86
04-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Even standard golf tsi ran around same temp as golf r when i got given from dealers during servicings. Hence why i was scratching my head looking at 100C+ On Arteon at normal driving condition. well if its normal i guess its fine by me. Not sure if i want to change my oil at 15k km though. Might change oil at 7500 interval. whats are your thoughts???

Umai Naa!!
04-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Oil cooler is nothing more than coolant running through the oil filter module.

Applies to pretty much all modern VWs. No fancy coolers in front of the radiator or anything like that.

slin
04-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Even standard golf tsi ran around same temp as golf r when i got given from dealers during servicings. Hence why i was scratching my head looking at 100C+ On Arteon at normal driving condition. well if its normal i guess its fine by me. Not sure if i want to change my oil at 15k km though. Might change oil at 7500 interval. whats are your thoughts???
It’s a good thing the oil temp is higher than the boiling point of water in the engine.
I did oil and filter change at 1500 and 7500km - bit of gasket material and a few shiny bits of metal in 1500km filter,
nothing whatsoever in 7500km filter.
Fyi mines R - same engine as yours Arteon - at 3C ambient I get 98C oil temp on highway in Eco- At 42C race mode in Mexico 114C

Bora Sport
05-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Interestingly I checked the oil temperature in my R as I was coming off the track from Happy Laps at Lakeside on Saturday and it was 102 degrees.

LRDV8R
05-08-2018, 04:12 PM
I was a bit surprised aswell when I first got into the Arteon and saw the oil temps. My Golf R would sit around 86C all the time. I'd only ever see close to 100C when going up a mountain range spiritedly. I think one of the highest I ever saw was like 102C during a few laps on a track for one of those VW "happy laps" days.

So imagine my surprise when getting into the Arteon for the first time and driving it home from the dealer, and going along the highway just cruising and I see 102C.

I noted >100C oil temps as well and it got me thinking. The viscosity of oil degrades as temps increase and oxidization accelerates at higher operating temps as well. Bottom line, oil performance and optimal functioning lifespan IS compromised the higher the temps go. Owing to my current employ, I viewed viscosity/oxidization graphs for motor oil testing where various brand additives were introduced then oil performance was tested including 'metal to metal' strike/abrasion analysis with/without oil additive. Wynn's (Stop/Start) is supposed to be targeted at modern turbo engines with stop/start tech but the performance analytics I saw did appear to produce a more than just marginal performance benefit tested against a quality brand oil. In a world where the vast majority of engine additives reek of snake-oil (more than motor oil!), there was some scientifically tested merit behind adding a bottle of this at oil changes... I'm giving it a go- at a nominal $15 or so dollars additional after each service (if I grab it from the shop and add it), it can't hurt and whether placebo or not, I'm comforted by the thought that the oil will perform better at higher temps for longer.. Just to dispel any thoughts I'm running ads here... I'm sure there are other viscosity improver/friction reducing additives on the market suitable for 'hard-working' 2 litres such as we have in the arteon, it's just that I saw decent data on this one and can't speak to the others with any backing evidence.

HPRS230
05-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Tuned e888 gen3 fwd here, this is the reason a few tuned cars are going from 5w-30 to 5w-40 castrol oil (still W approved 502) to help with the temp and when on track, hopeful the oil quality holds up over 115°C as we are fearing that the 30 is turning to @$&# once over 110°C

Skoda RS230

HiddenTaco
06-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Does the Golf R have start/stop?

Kowalski
06-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Also noticed the high oil temp and was surprised. I have only had my Arteon a few weeks and haven't had a chance to try it in hot weather to see what, if any effect the ambient temperatures have on oil temp.
VW is known to engineer things pretty well so I am expecting the oil temp to be managed to within a certain range, irrespective of engine load and weather, but I will be monitoring closely when I go on the annual family pilgrimage to the Victorian high country, fully loaded on a 38 degree day.

brad
09-08-2018, 12:21 PM
What sort numbers are you guys seeing for oil temp?? I get range from 102C° - 106C°. Seems excessive high. Is this normal?
Very normal.
Stupidist thing VW ever did was activate the oil temp display. If it wasn't there then people wouldn't care.

VW Convert
09-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Very normal.
Stupidist thing VW ever did was activate the oil temp display. If it wasn't there then people wouldn't care.

Spot on Brad, absolutely normal oil temps being discussed on here, nothing to worry about.

Cheers

George