PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on Tuning Kit JB1 or JB4?

LRDV8R
01-08-2018, 08:36 AM
Anyone here fitted a JB1 or JB4 by Burger Tuning onto their Arteon?

I WAS going to wait for a tune (after warranty expiry) but drove a 2018 A6 (2.0) for a day and despite it being down on KW's (but marginally up on NM) to the ARTEON, it felt faster, more eager out of corners so now I'm itchy to up the output on the Arteon in a way that won't jeopardize warranty by virtue of it being easily removed (without a trace) hypothetically of course Mr VW..

JB1 and JB4 get a great write up by virtually everyone as the next best thing to a full ECU tune.. the JB4 is smoother but requires a through the firewall OBD cable that would be awkward to remove/put back before/after each service whereas the JB1 is a quicker plug & play option for the same power output..albeit with a less linear power delivery.

Keen to hear anyone with an arteon fitted one of these and whether or not you pull the OBD cable out before service or wouldn't bother...

HPRS230
01-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Hey Mate, Not sure of the ARTEON, but should be very close to the Golf install. The firewall might be the only thing that is of trouble, I know a guy that had to make a hole to run cable to OBD port ona POLO, but surely there is a grommet somewhere, the ARTEON is MQB chassis no? should be same as golf tbh mate

I leave the OBD cable in for service work, I just unplug the OBD plug and hide under dash, I also hide the other end of the OBD cable in the engine bay.

LRDV8R
01-08-2018, 01:01 PM
I just unplug the OBD plug and hide under dash, I also hide the other end of the OBD cable in the engine bay.

Yep, screw it- I just bit the bullet and ordered the JB4, the automatic failsafes/safeguards to protect the engine as well as MAP2 access make it worthwhile for the extra mucking around pre/after servicing with the additional cables... should have it before the weekend- thanks.

HPRS230
01-08-2018, 01:16 PM
You'll love it mate!!
You get a cable or Bluetooth.

Skoda RS230

LRDV8R
01-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Bluetooth HPRS230... would prefer to alter maps on the fly and compare them back to back.

HPRS230
01-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Bluetooth HPRS230... would prefer to alter maps on the fly and compare them back to back.Nice, I started with cable then seen how good the Bluetooth was.

Skoda RS230

LRDV8R
04-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Fitted the JB4 This morning- did some back to back launch control starts on a safe piece of bitumen close to me after driving around for a while to allow the the unit to adapt. The Butt Dyno says there is a clear and appreciable difference (for the better) on MAP1 and MAP2 is more aggressive. I'm not surprised, the internet is awash with dyno charts for these things for the VW 2.0's with fairly consistent results. On the back to back launch control's (same ambient conditions/ stretch of road) despite a few runs on MAP 1 meaning intake temps were on the rise as the engine bay was warming up, a couple of MAP2 launches both managed to spin all 4 in 1st, 2nd and loud chirp into 3rd. This unit generates grins- there is no doubt. Was a one hour install (mainly fiddling around with behind the dash OBD cable)- I figure now I'm familiar with the pin locations/process it would be around 20min to de-install or re-install (tops) for service. (leaving the OBD cable hidden behind dash fascia). If you're after a 'boost' with no warranty compromise then I'd give this unit a big thumbs up.

HPRS230
04-08-2018, 04:52 PM
It so good aye!!! Enjoy mate

Skoda RS230

HiddenTaco
04-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Congrats. Good to see you are happy. I'd love to see a video of the dash 0-100.

I hate to be that guy but it isn't "undetectable" but rather "hard to detect".

LRDV8R
05-08-2018, 09:32 AM
I hate to be that guy but it isn't "undetectable" but rather "hard to detect".

It's a fair point, when removed, if a VW Tech was to examine every mm of the AFR cable they might locate a pin-hole puncture in it where the JB4 taps in. That said,I located mine in a position that would take a long time to find, necessitating a degree 'de-looming' of the engine bay... and even if they did find a pinprick hole in the insulation for the AFR line, what of it? In terms of the ECU's data logging, it only captures everything on the firmware side of the vehicle which will reflect in-tolerance input/outputs. I almost went the JB1 (not requiring the AFR Tap) which would mean no pin-prick hole in one wire's insulation but the JB4's additional mapping capacities and more linear power delivery won out against the minimal risk factor. For the 0-100 vid I need to find a program/app that will log the time on screen that doesn't require OBD access (as the OBD has the JB4 plugged in during operation!)

HiddenTaco
05-08-2018, 09:51 AM
It's a fair point, when removed, if a VW Tech was to examine every mm of the AFR cable they might locate a pin-hole puncture in it where the JB4 taps in. That said,I located mine in a position that would take a long time to find, necessitating a degree 'de-looming' of the engine bay... and even if they did find a pinprick hole in the insulation for the AFR line, what of it? In terms of the ECU's data logging, it only captures everything on the firmware side of the vehicle which will reflect in-tolerance input/outputs. I almost went the JB1 (not requiring the AFR Tap) which would mean no pin-prick hole in one wire's insulation but the JB4's additional mapping capacities and more linear power delivery won out against the minimal risk factor. For the 0-100 vid I need to find a program/app that will log the time on screen that doesn't require OBD access (as the OBD has the JB4 plugged in during operation!)

Thanks LRDV8R. I like your reasoning..... Actually, I hate your reasoning because it makes me want a jb4 even more.

jayel86
23-09-2018, 07:51 PM
U still making 0-100 video??
Patiently waiting :)

LRDV8R
26-09-2018, 04:04 PM
Haven't yet- got MAP6 programming done through George at JB4 and flat out at work- also need something similar to draggy to get the 0-100 whilst leaving the JB4 working. On a side note- got Varex mufflers fitted today- *meh* not a bad tone, haven't had the opportunity to see if they fart much yet.. they'll feature when I get around to it as well of course- sorry for such a protracted delay...

HiddenTaco
09-12-2018, 08:06 AM
What is your 3 month review?

Did you have to get under the car to do the install?

LRDV8R
09-12-2018, 07:13 PM
What is your 3 month review?

Did you have to get under the car to do the install?

3 Month Review.
- For me the test is, knowing what I know now- would I purchase the JB4 again? - Yes- I wish I didn't have to pull it out for servicing but it's across the range improvement to power and delivery of that power make it a worthwhile investment for me- it's a faster car in every way on MAPS 1, 2 or 6 (custom mapping which has been really easy loading up the maps and having the settings emailed back to me).

INSTALLATION.
- There is no getting around getting under the car and removing the 8 (or so) screws for the plastic under-engine cover to get to the downpipe plug-in. I jack up the drivers side front, (then put a stand there for safety), slide under and I'm usually done in around 5-10min with that aspect- each remove and reinstall (for services naturally). Upon initial installation, the biggest hassle (but no deal breaker) was running the cable through the firewall grommet on the passenger side, behind the centre console and then into the OBD port on the drivers side- I don't remove this cable for services, I just tuck the cable up in the dash- they have no reason to go into there and even if they did. it's just a cable.. definitely get the bluetooth module so you can change maps on the fly and log runs for custom tuning.

HiddenTaco
15-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying it.

Glen
06-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Haven't yet- got MAP6 programming done through George at JB4 and flat out at work- also need something similar to draggy to get the 0-100 whilst leaving the JB4 working. On a side note- got Varex mufflers fitted today- *meh* not a bad tone, haven't had the opportunity to see if they fart much yet.. they'll feature when I get around to it as well of course- sorry for such a protracted delay...

LRDV8R - Can you confirm what settings you have on MAP 6 so I can a little play with mine?